Author Topic: Anyone use a Scorpion Helmet?  (Read 4394 times)

Offline deepink

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.oldredtruck.com
Anyone use a Scorpion Helmet?
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:28:40 AM »
Considering a Scorpion Helmet - Anyone have one, and can tell us anything about their experience?
2001 Bandit 1200 - \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Revised\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline B12NScott

• Board Homesteader!
scorpion helmet
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 01:10:19 PM »
I have the EXO-700 (I think) Lots of vents. I have had it 1.5 years.   I have not had an problems with it, and I do like it.  I only have 1 thing I would like them to improve. As you open the face shield the first indent (or position) is to large.  The face shield is open 1 inch @ the first opening.  Its not bad if your a fair weather rider in a warmer climate.  I tend to ride anytime the Temp is above 35 degrees (F). Just to much cold air coming in.  If they could just make it open 1/2 inch that would be a great improvement.   The Anti fog works pretty well if you keep the shield clean.  The face shield is fairly easy to change out, you don't need any tools.    I did buy the chin air dam, and the tinted face shield
2K B-12S
2K5 DRZ 400s Dirt/SM

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 03:42:39 PM »
I own an EX-400.  I like the helmet but would warn against one thing.  The first time I rode with it on in a downpour, water started to stream down the inside of the visor.  I examined the helmet and it was happening because there was a small gap between the shield and the rubber weather-stripping.  They where nice enough to let me ship it back to them, after adjusting the faceshield rearward didn't work.  The new one is better but still has a paper-thin gap that can let water in if it rains really heavily.
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline B12NScott

• Board Homesteader!
Scorpion Helmet
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:47:56 PM »
I have ridden in the rain a few times, and a couple were nasty downpours, I have not experienced that.  After hearing this I would definatly check out the gaps before you buy one.  Maybe they had a quality controll isssue?
2K B-12S
2K5 DRZ 400s Dirt/SM

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 06:04:24 AM »
I have a EXO 700, and have had it for about 1.5 years as well. When I first got it the pivot kit was somewhat broke, called scorpion and they sent me a new one right away.  I've been having some problems with it this week, so there sending me a new pivot kit this week, free of charge, never asked for warantee etc.   just great customer care.

The helmet could vent a little better I think, but its much better than all the HJC's and nolans I've tried, also vents comporable to the low end shoe and arai my buddies own. The only better venting helmets I've tried are the real expensive ones.  Overall I think its the best helmet you can own for the price.

I've had no problems with rain coming in at all.  One of my buddies has a EXO 400, and felt the need to add some sealant around the faceshield to keep some minimal wind from coming in and getting his contacts/eye's dry. Maybe its a problem with the exo400 line??

the 700 has improved venting and replacable parts, I don't think there's a huge cost difference between the 400 and 700 so I would spring for the 700.

I love the anti fogging, but if you want to clean the inside/antifogging side, make sure you read the cleaning instructions. I cleaned it like I do with the outside, and scratched it up with the lens cloth I owned and had to buy a new clear sheild.

Offline deepink

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.oldredtruck.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:28:28 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  You gave me a lot to think about.
2001 Bandit 1200 - \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Revised\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline B12NScott

• Board Homesteader!
scorpion hemet
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 01:23:20 PM »
Did the rain test yesterday on the way home.  No Leaky  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:
2K B-12S
2K5 DRZ 400s Dirt/SM

Offline RDUBandit

• Board Homesteader!
  • All or nuthin', more or less...
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 07:04:25 PM »
I have the 700 model.  The shield is nearly impossible to fog, and the fit and finish on mine is great.  It also fits my head better than my Jarow (Caberg), Shoei(s), and my old HJC.  My only issue is that it is HEAVY!
Dave...
2004 Bandit 1200S (>92k miles; lotsa mods; SOLD)
2002 Bandit 1200 (>13k miles; more mods)
1997 Bandit 1200 (>3k miles; most mods)
2005 Ducati Monster S4R (>48k miles; ditto)
2003 Triumph Speed Triple (SOLD)
2013 Yamaha FJR1300 (5k miles)
IBA Member #28454

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 04:00:59 AM »
Quote from: RDUBandit
I have the 700 model.  The shield is nearly impossible to fog, and the fit and finish on mine is great.  It also fits my head better than my Jarow (Caberg), Shoei(s), and my old HJC.  My only issue is that it is HEAVY!

I don't find it too heavy. true its heavierv than shoe and Aria, but its lighter than the HJC I own and the other 2 HJC's my buddies have.