Author Topic: Looking after your leathers  (Read 4367 times)

Offline RUSS M8

• Board Homesteader!
Looking after your leathers
« on: September 10, 2005, 03:48:34 AM »
I only purchased my leathers this year, so they are still pretty new looking.  But I was wondering how others look after their leathers?  I read that using Dubbin or similar is good for the outside.  And I wish I had a fully removable inner, could be handy with summer coming around (In Aus.) because I reckon they could be sweaty!
Thanks,
Russ
That's impressive,
and I'm not easily impressed.

Look, a blue car!

Offline Cruisecontrol

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 06:56:53 AM »
I did absolutely nothing with my rjays jacket that I wore for 12 years. Up until its forced retirement it looked as good as when I bought it.

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/billst/03gsf1200/
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 05:08:55 AM »
2-3 times/yr. I'll rub the leather down with a leather paste.  Keeps 'em really supple and adds to the rain repellability inherent in oiled leather - unless, of course, the leather is the perforated type.

cheers
billster  :beers:
The older I get, the better I was.

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'78 XS650 (project underway)
'74 CL200

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 08:18:46 AM »
Ditto on what billster said.  I usually use Mink Oil, it can be found in any leather goods store (shoes, jackets, whatever), even Walmart I think... and one can lasts forever.  It keeps the leather supple and also waterproofs it.
It's kind of a chore rubbing the stuff in, but it works like magic.  I use it on all my leather clothing, not just riding gear.  Keeps dress leather jackets and shoes looking like brand new for years....

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 09:36:18 AM »
Again, ditto, I use Dubbin.  However, don't make the same mistake I did and put it on bum of you're leather pants - it has the same effect as using Armarol on the seat - you slide too much.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 07:31:55 AM »
Best one I've found, and yes I've been using dubin for years, but I reckon this stuff kills dubin. Uncle Bob's Beeswax.
03 9687 2251. 10 Goulburne st Yarraville 3013
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 08:52:20 AM »
No one has any good tips on freshening up the mesh liner?  I'm sure mine's getting pretty ripe by now.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 09:00:06 AM »
I don't see any reason you can't hand wash the liner.  A little soap and water is not going to make it fall apart!

As far as the leather itself, I don't do anything but wear it a lot.  This is gross, but I think you own sweat, oils, etc that get into your leather from the inside keep it moist, healthy and supple.  As long as it doesn't get junky, just keep wearing it.  I do think it's important to hang your gear up and let it air dry with good ventilation.  If you do that, it shouldn't get too stinky.

To get bugs and stuff off the outside, I use Saddle Soap... what you would use for shoes, horse saddles, etc.  It cleans and revitalizes leather!
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore