Author Topic: Looking for Tail or Saddle bags  (Read 10040 times)

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
Looking for Tail or Saddle bags
« on: November 22, 2005, 04:15:36 PM »
I have a 2000 Bandit 1200S and am having troubles finding a good solution for extra space.

I just ordered a Nelson Rigg Tank Bag  MG950.. and I love their quality. Just curious if anyone has found any good bags for the tail section.

My concerns are, most saddle bags are too big / touching the pipe, but the biggest problem is the strap goes around MIDSEAT which is too far up for me.

Anyone found any saddlebags that just stay on the rear seat, not intruding the main seat.

Also for a tailbag, most seam too big, and the size of the bandit rear seat is kinda small, whats a good tailpack, that might hook onto the Hooks under the rear bars, and is small enough length wise, to not intrude with my riding position.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 05:03:01 PM »
I think a luggage rack allows you to slide the saddle bags back a bit, plus the tail bag is further back.
  I don't seem to mind or really notice the cross strap on the seat when using saddlebags.
  If you're careful, you can put the cross strap UNDER the seat with some saddlebags.
  If you stick with 'sport' saddlebags, they should give you plenty of clearance over the pipe.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 05:07:43 PM »
I have a set of Joe Rocket saddle bags. I don't use them full time but they are good for trips. I haven't had any problems with the bags crowding into the front seat. There are no problems regarding the bags and the exhaust.

On the down side, if they are not full, the look kinda saggy if you know what I mean. They are not a perfect solution but they are okay for occassional use.

I have a Bike Master tail bag that I like better than the JR Saddlebags. It has bungee cords that are attached to the bag. The cords attach the bag to the luggage spools on the tail fairing. I hope that helps. :motorsmile:

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 06:55:56 PM »
Tourmaster Cortech Tailbag all the way. Alot of guys on here have them. Got mine at the stealer for $59. Fits the back seat perfect and fastens easy to the pegs on the tail. Its expandable and will hold alot. I love mine. Definately worth checking out. :beers:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 07:43:42 PM »
How about a Ventura Bike Pack & Rack setup?

The bag will also go on the rack facing the rear for 2-up duty (or if you just prefer it back there). Here's the 45L bag in the rear position on mu bike:

The rack is quick and easy to install and the packs just slide over the rack and clip into place with a pair of straps that wrap around the rack. Nothing touches paint. Bags are available up to 45L, and if you're riding solo, two bags can be mounted at the same time for up to 90L of storage.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 08:50:10 PM »
Quote from: "dsartwell1"
Tourmaster Cortech Tailbag all the way. Alot of guys on here have them. Got mine at the stealer for $59. Fits the back seat perfect and fastens easy to the pegs on the tail. Its expandable and will hold alot. I love mine. Definately worth checking out. :beers:

Do you have the sport one??? or the kind that looks like a duffelbag?

That tourmaster tail pack looks like a great solution for me.

thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be looking into potential saddlebags. Maybe with the tail and tank I will have enough room.

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »
How about this Nelson Rigg Tankbag.

TP-902 Pro Tailpack
http://www.nelsonrigg.com/fibertech.htm

I have the Grey MG950 Tankbag on this website.

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:35:03 PM »
Icy, I have the Sport. There are saddlebags to go with it but I don't have them, just the bag. FWIW, I have a few "Cortech" and have been real happy with all of it. Good price and nice stuff. Much better than Joe Rocket IMO. :beers:

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 03:11:51 AM »
Quote from: "dsartwell1"
Icy, I have the Sport. There are saddlebags to go with it but I don't have them, just the bag. FWIW, I have a few "Cortech" and have been real happy with all of it. Good price and nice stuff. Much better than Joe Rocket IMO. :beers:

Thanks for the advice, I honestly never liked Joe rocket stuff, and was looking for a better solution. I really like Nelson Rigg's stuff, and the tourmaster stuff I have seen seemed to be good quality as well.

That sport sack looks a little small. Im looking for somehting for occasional use, like only on long trips. So I might go with something pretty large. I wonder if the Original Cortec Tailpack would fit nicely on this bike, that or the nelson rigg.

Offline mcrides

• Board Regular!
    • http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides
Re: Looking for Tail or Saddle bags
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 06:13:43 PM »
Quote from: "IcyChaos"
I have a 2000 Bandit 1200S and am having troubles finding a good solution for extra space. Also for a tailbag, most seam too big, and the size of the bandit rear seat is kinda small, whats a good tailpack, that might hook onto the Hooks under the rear bars, and is small enough length wise, to not intrude with my riding position.

Check out the Joe Rocket Velocity tail bag. Also worth a look is the Oxford  Humpback tailbag. Both fit your requirements.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing Heated JACKET LINER Review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/liner.htm
:

Offline mccuts

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 08:56:45 PM »
I think this stuff is from England.
You can get them from the address below.
The rack cost me around 75.00 and the Tailpack that
matches up with it was another 75.00
( Prices may have gone up )

http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/sports_racks.htm

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
Saddlebags
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 10:37:45 PM »
I had saddlebags on my 05b1200s for a while. I hated them. Luckly, I bought them cheep second hand. It was not long until the bag on the pipe side ended up with a hole in it. Also, it was a pain to get something out of them since it seemed everything had to be removed to find the one thing I was looking for. I would get hard luggage if it's near that pipe.

One thing I love is my tank bag. Whatever I can't get in that bag I bungee down to the rear seat.

My opinion: Forget the soft luggage that hangs off the side of the bike. It's just a pain in the butt.

Lucas

Offline JayRo

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 02:10:02 AM »
I have this basic tail bag that I picked up at cycle gear for not a bad price.  I fits all the stuff I need on a days outing.  It is also expandable.  It fits pretty good on the back of my b12 and doesn't look bad either.

http://www.cyclegear.com/lpgm.cfm?L1=2&L2=55&L3=&L4=&item=FTL_CAR022

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
saddle bags and tail bag
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 01:12:07 PM »
I use the "Cargo" brand on my 2007 bandit. They also have the matching saddle bags. They have a life time warranty and are very sturdy/ Both of them are expandable and hold enough for at least a week's venture. They look great and fasten with straps "under" the seat and also have bungies to tie onto the rear footpeg posts and the tail section posts. Once they are tied down they are rock solid...
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline Raphy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 01:32:23 PM »
I have teh JR Sport bags - they hold a lot and are expandable  :clap:

2005 Suzuki Bandit 650 S
2000 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (the ex)