Author Topic: Luggage Racks  (Read 5035 times)

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
Luggage Racks
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:30:54 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
PeteSC
(3/27/04 2:00 pm)
Rentec Rack on a B12

I just mounted my chrome, rentec rack, I ordered through www.revsperformance.com
One word about Revs, he shipped fast.....
You can't order online, but have to call him, but he must have shipped it first thing in the morning, (Called him about 4PM) and it arrived at my place 200 miles away the next day.

I meant to take my camera with me, but forgot.
(Still have the bike in storage, waiting for some crash parts)
Rentec offers 2 types of racks for the OLDER bandits.
I ordered one that was specified to work with the OEM grabrails.
The rack arrived....looks sturdy enough, nice plating...nice package of hardware...and it is a little bigger than the SUZ OEM rack. It also has a forward rail across the fron of the rack...raised above the rack surface....kind of something that would hold your luggage in place.

There was one sheet of instructions, and no mention of what to do with the OEM grabrails! Like the SUZ rack, I kind of figured they'd bolt on top of the rack supports....apparently not!
No big deal...the rack side support itself can be an adequate hand hold.

A couple of quirks with the mounting process....
The hardware kit features rubber grommets that fit into the grab handle holes in the plastic body sides. I thought this was kind of a neat touch. Then you insert a metal tubular spacer into the grommet. (Longer spacers up front...2 shorter ones in back)
They provide 2 longer bolts to use in the 2 front positions.
You'll use two of the OEM shorter bolts for the rear...
At this point....slip the bolts into the spacer...without the rack...and attempt to thread them!
You may have to align the spacer and threaded hole in the frame several times during this process!
I then attempted to mount the rack. It"s either a real tight fit....or a hair 'off'. You really had to play around with the alignment of the rack...bolts...and spacers...to get them threaded into the frame.
A little 'pressure' was needed on one of the rear holes to get it to line up right, and threaded.
All assembled, it looks fine!
I mention the mounting problems just to let you know it WILL all go together, but not without a hair of coaxing!

They offer the rack in Chrome, and Black finish.
Revs has other Bandit bits, and would like our business.
(He's in the Covington, area, Atlanta riders...)

I'll reccommend the rack....with a cautionary warning about the modest lack of ease in mounting it!

Pictures tomorrow.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevinb600
(3/27/04 9:44 pm)
rack Pete

I think that I am going to order that rack for my 02 B6. I should not have any issues with the grab rails, correct? I also want to get the expandable bag. Can't order on-line, but i might call him during the week. Let me know what you think.
Kevin R

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PeteSC
(3/27/04 9:49 pm)
Re: rack

I'll take some pictures tomorrow. For the life of me, I can't understand how the rack 'without factory grabrails' could be different.
You've got a new model B6....it may mount a lot differently.

Kevinb600
(3/27/04 10:42 pm)
rack

Yeah Petee send me some pics. I like the price of Rev's rack, plus I would get the tail bag that fits it. I also like Dale's rack, it looks great, but it is almost $60.00 more. What kind of tail bag do you have on Oprah....let me know. Also let me know your opinion on which rack you like better. Thanks again
Kevin R

PeteSC
(3/27/04 10:50 pm)

I've got a couple of tailbags. One is an Oxford...pretty nice, a little pricey. Another is an Eclipse Fastpack, not as heavy duty.....but you can get them discounted pretty well.
Just bought some sort of duffle bag with attached bungees from Wolfman, for use on the DR. Kind of like it....forget name, but it's around $90.

PeteSC
(3/29/04 2:36 am)

Sorry...due to unforeseen events....couldn't make it back to the storage area to get pictures of the rack.
From what I can tell...the main 'rack' of all the Rentec units is the same, the mounting struts that connect it to the different bikes varies.
I'm not sure I've seen one of Dales Racks.
The Suzuki OEM rack looks a little 'cleaner', at least on the older bandits, than than the Rentec. The Rentec has some a couple of folded flat metal framework, at least on this particular rack....that while isn't totally ugly, it isn't quite as clean looking as a rack that has all tubular parts.

Red01SuziB12S
(3/30/04 2:32 am)

The Holeshot rack only fits the 2G 600/1200

I don't know what the Renntec one runs, but at $159 for the Holeshot one, you can get the Ventura sport rack (for ANY Bandit) and not have to give up your grab rails and the rack can be detached from the bike in a few seconds.
(You can also opt for luggage systems that use their pack rack).

Here's what the Ventura Sport Rack looks like on a 1G B12:

Here's what the Ventura Pack Rack with a 45L pack looks like on a 2G B12:

Paul W

Kevinb600
(4/1/04 9:22 pm)

Weighed all the options, Holeshot, Ventura, and Rev's Performance. Decided to buy a Rev's sport rack, with the expandable bag. Looks like good quality, small enough for around town trips, large enough for road trips (when expanded) and you can buy both for under $200.00. shipped. The guy seemed really nice, receptive to Banidt owners, and said the rack was on back order, but that he would get it out, in about a week.
Thanks Pete!

PeteSC
(4/4/04 4:59 pm)
Re: rack/pix

OK, finally...here's a pix of the Rentec chrome rack on my '99 1200

Kevinb600
(4/4/04 10:51 pm)

Nice Pete, can't wait until I get mine from Rev's. I guess you just bought the rack. I am getting the bag that goes with it (expandable). What kind of seat do you have on your B12?
Kevin R

Kevinb600
(4/4/04 10:53 pm)

Looked at the pic again, and really like the chrome look; should have ordered chrome. My B6 is black, so I ordered a black rack......oh well.
Kevin R

PeteSC
(4/5/04 9:46 am)

Kev...that's a Sargent custom seat.

Kevinb600
(5/13/04 8:59 pm)
Re: Rentec Rack on a B12

Webmonster...........good call on the Renntec, just got mine. Mounted on bike fairly easy, and I love the bag. Nice part about it, is that it won't scratch your plastic or take up your passenger seat. Thanks Peteeeeee!!!

Kevin R

mccuts
(9/21/04 8:47 am)
Re: Rentec Rack on a B12

I got both the rack and the tailbag from REVSPERFORMANCE.
The rack mounts up easy and is fairly good size. The matching tailbag holds quite a bit - and it unzips to expand almost double. With this tailbag and a round duffle on the back of the seat I can do weekend tours.

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
racks
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 06:14:07 PM »
I gotta be different. I went with a Krauser rack on my 1g b6. I am pleased with it. It is sturdy, fits well and was easy to install.

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
Luggage Racks
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 07:41:21 PM »
I like my GIVI.  I think its the best/most versitile rack for a 1G B-12.

http://groups.msn.com/DavesBanditHomePage/rearrack.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=142

My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
RACK FOR B-12
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:39:33 PM »
I HAVE THE HOLESHOT RACK AND BACKREST.  I LOVE THE LOOK AND THE FUNCTION OF THEM.  (KIND OF PRICY, BUT WHAT ISN'T FOR MOTORCYCLES.)

THEY WENT ON EASY; THE ONLY THING THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA ATTENTION TO, IS TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU WIGGLE THE TAIL SECTION OF THE PLASTIC ON THE BIKE AS YOU INSTALL THE BOLTS BY HAND.  IT TAKES ONLY 20 MINUTES TO INSTALL, ONCE YOU HAVE YOUR TOOLS READY.

I ACTUALLY WANTED THE RACK AND BACKREST IN CHROME, BUT HOLESHOT DOES NOT OFFER IT IN CHROME; OVERALL I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH THE PRODUCT.
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm