Author Topic: manic salamanders  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
manic salamanders
« on: September 07, 2005, 11:55:56 PM »
Installed my salamanders tonight, havent gone riding yet, I'll report on them tomorrow. Getting kinda worried that they were not grabbing until after many rotations of the screw, then ...BOY did they grab tight!. They look bigger then the OEM's, but they are growing on me..stainless steel these ones. Feel heavier for sure!.. Now watch my mileage go down due to the increased weight!... :roll:

Most of the trouble was'nt the install at all, it was getting the OEM bar ends out!.. THEY DID NOT want to give up without a fight!.. Strange,... I dont remember them being this difficult to put in/take out when I put my bar snake in!..Hmmmmm?... :annoy:
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline BlkJello

• Board Homesteader!
manic salamanders
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 02:22:43 PM »
Dont mean to rain on the parade...but...i just bought mine a couple weeks ago...and they didnt make much of a differance at all.  Was disappointed to say the least...although i knew the difference wasnt going to be night and day.  Could've put the $70+ in a much better place.   :duh:  And yes...my stock ones were a nightmare to get out also the second time.  They werent half as hard to remove the first time i removed them to install some gel grips.   Maybe we are tightening them to much??
Mike Kuka

2005 Bandit 1200s

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
salamanders
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 09:01:44 PM »
well, here I am, able to type and all.

YES, the salamanders made a huge difference for me/my bike, very little to no vibes at all!...very smooth, all thru the rpm range (at least 7500 rpm today so far).

I had previously installed a snake and all but my right grip always seemed to still numb my thumb after about 1/2 hr. Not the case anymore. They are noticably larger than stock for sure and the stainless I will have to get used to, but so far so good!.. It certainly makes all the difference... at least in my case. I really "yanked" on the "torque" wrench to tighten past their recommended tolerances BTW.

Hey BlkJello!, do ya have a snake in too? ... This also is hit and miss it seems, but with both products it seems to work REALLY well!... HAPPY CAMPER HERE!  :motorsmile:

BTW, I too installed gel grips a while back and found that removal of the bar ends was unecessary, just slide them over top and clean up the goo afterwards. Maybe the more you mess with them the worse they get? :?:
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline BlkJello

• Board Homesteader!
manic salamanders
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 09:20:42 PM »
Ya know....that might be the trick.  Installing the barends in conjunction with the bar snake.   Okey dokie...ordering one as we speak.   :lol:  

I took the barends off because i had to dremel the larger diameter outer ring on the throttle sleeve .  I tried the slip the grips over the ring but it was a major pain in the arse.   Thx for the feedback.   :beers:   Looking forward to slaping in the barsnake as soon as possible.   :motorsmile:
Mike Kuka

2005 Bandit 1200s

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
manic salamanders
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 10:32:35 PM »
I'm using the Bar Snake and the Manic Salamanders, and it was an improvement over the OEM, but it wasn't the be all/end all for the buzzing you get at the 70MPH range.  Lots of other thoughts on mods that eliminate that elsewhere on this board, none of which I have done (yet).
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
hit and miss
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 12:49:14 AM »
It would appear some have varying experiences with the salamander/bar snake combo, sort of like the love it or hate it relationship with corbin seats almost?...

I cannot validate that others will have the same success I have had, all I know is the rather noticable improvement it made for me. I am simply happy with my $20 or $200 purchase as long as it helps ME OUT!.. it does this quite well = happiness  :wink:  

I would hazard to go out on a limb here, but pretty much anything above 70/80 MPH with you in/on it will cause some vibes, I guess it all depends on how much "extra padding" you have on your arse/fingers. I get vibes to some degree on my focus that are not there at 20MPH. I think there is no ULTIMATE  or UNIVERSAL solution for everyone, as everyone is different with regard to tolerances and what they get out of motorcycling, after all, its not a cadillac or hovercraft, its a bike!.. 2 wheels and a big brawny motor between your legs, how practical is that!  :duh:

We put the Genmar riser on my wifes bike for the sole purpose of her being able to comfortably manipulate the bars (short arms), however I have noticed, the odd time I ride her B6, that, yes, less pressure is put on the bars (even though I sit higher up) and thus, less wrist fatigue = very little pressure = less again vibes. , a definate option for those who have tried everything else...

AHHHH. just go ahead an install a steering wheel instead!.. while were at it, lets add doors, 3 extra seats, 2 extra wheels and a roof. :stickpoke: :toocool:
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
manic salamanders
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 09:10:50 PM »
Quote from: "Sven"
I'm using the Bar Snake and the Manic Salamanders, and it was an improvement over the OEM, but it wasn't the be all/end all for the buzzing you get at the 70MPH range.  Lots of other thoughts on mods that eliminate that elsewhere on this board, none of which I have done (yet).

Try synchronizing your carbs.
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
any report?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 09:42:16 PM »
Quote from: "BlkJello"
Ya know....that might be the trick.  Installing the barends in conjunction with the bar snake.   Okey dokie...ordering one as we speak. :motorsmile:

Did u get the snake installed?, kinda intersted if that will do it for you too, it would be nice if that ended up bring a universal solution! :motorsmile:
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
manic salamanders
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 11:18:53 PM »
I've been running the stock bar ends in conjunction with the bar snake and it seemed to help a lot. It took a few weeks but eventually the numbness went away I think it has something to do with the lubricant dissipating allowing the rubber from the bar snake to make full contact with the bars! We also synchronized the carburetors somewhere in between but somewhere along the line the numbness in the right hand went away!
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline BlkJello

• Board Homesteader!
Re: any report?
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 11:11:44 AM »
Quote from: "snubnoze"
Quote from: "BlkJello"
Ya know....that might be the trick.  Installing the barends in conjunction with the bar snake.   Okey dokie...ordering one as we speak. :motorsmile:

Did u get the snake installed?, kinda intersted if that will do it for you too, it would be nice if that ended up bring a universal solution! :motorsmile:

Sorry bout the long time to reply.   :duh:   Yes i did get the snake installed.  Did it help?  Quite well yes indeed!!   :beers:  I would definatly recommend the manic's WITH a barsnake.  Where i notice the most differance is droning along @ 70-75mph on the freeway.  The vibes arent totally gone...but significantly reduced.  Next on the list is some Gen Mar risers to help take some weight off my wrists.  Im a short fellow at 5'8" so alot of the time i start experiencing pain and numbness i notice im sorta leaning on the bars.  As soon as i put more of my weight on the balls of my feet ,  the pain subsides.  Looks like for me....it might be a 3 part solution.   :wink:  :motorsmile:
Mike Kuka

2005 Bandit 1200s

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
manic salamanders
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 12:02:22 AM »
The Bar Snake didn't do much for me but the addition of the Manic Salamander bar ends with it have helped a bunch.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Vibration problems???
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 01:56:55 AM »
Hey fellow bandit riders! If you are getting vibs from the B12 don't do a thing until you have sinc'ed the carbs! I thought my bike was smooth, sinc,ed the carbs with the $1.85 BBS sinc tool (clear tubing) SMOOTH AS A MOTTO GUZZI, NO BULL what a diff!!!       :beers:

Offline speedytriple

• Board Homesteader!
manic salamanders
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 11:57:42 PM »
+when i had my bandit doing the carbs helped and also make sure the valves are in spec also. and for you guys spending all that money on a bar snake?! go to your local sporting goods store get some lead shot(i used small shot in mine)  and  pour it into the handle bar. vibes gone. i also plugged the bars with some cork to keep the shot from rolling to much. total cost! $8 never had to switch grips or bar ends,  just a cheaper way to cut the vibes down.

mike
Mike
Berea, Ohio
2000 speed triple
2002 VW gti 1.8t

Offline Iroc24

• New user!
Re: Vibration problems???
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 02:02:02 PM »
Quote from: "daytona"
Hey fellow bandit riders! If you are getting vibs from the B12 don't do a thing until you have sinc'ed the carbs! I thought my bike was smooth, sinc,ed the carbs with the $1.85 BBS sinc tool (clear tubing) SMOOTH AS A MOTTO GUZZI, NO BULL what a diff!!!       :beers:

OK,  what tool is this that you used now?

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=235
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 02:33:26 PM »
Hey here is all you need.... DO IT U won't be sorry!!!  http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=2355