Author Topic: Race Tech and Progressive  (Read 4265 times)

Offline El Bandito

• Board Homesteader!
Race Tech and Progressive
« on: January 10, 2007, 02:12:34 PM »
In my recent experience, the customer service at Race Tech leaves much to be desired. I was told up front that the fork springs I had ordered were on backorder, but also told there was a shipment coming in the next week.. at that point they said they'd give me a call either way on that day to let me know the status.. no call.
 I called back a few days after that delivery and was told they still weren't there, so I asked them to check into it and get back to me with an eta.. no call.
 I called back a few days later and left a voicemail for the online orders department that I'd like an eta for my fork springs and to please return my call... no call.
 All in all, it was only over the course of about two weeks, but the lack of ability to make a phone call to keep me informed as promised is unacceptable. (IMHO)
 I called back once more, happened to get the sales manager, and cancelled my order due to the lack of customer service. She told me she was "bummed" and she was willing to help me, but I was done (and I found the springs in stock somewhere else for ten bucks cheaper)

Progressive, on the other hand, has been incredibly helpful in my quest for a rear shock for my ABS model B12. Justin, my contact at Progressive even owns a 1st gen b12!
 Even going so far as to solve the ABS model compatibility once and for all by sending my OEM shock to their R&D department for some measurement etc..  
 Can't say enough about how great he's been,, promtpt phone calls as promised & incredible willingness to help. And if I didn't like the Race Tech fork springs better, I'd buy the Progressives from him, too.

Those are my two cents.
-some dreams do come true.

97 B12 SA (ABS)
Progressive 420 rear
Race Tech springs
Holeshot can
Stage 2
5˚ Ign. Advance
16 tooth front sprocket
MRA Vario screen
heated grips ;)
Corbin Gunfighter

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 09:02:29 PM »
:monkeymoon:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Re: Racetech
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
Forks have always been my weak area except for rebuilding them with a kit, so let me ask since I'm interested. What does this mod improve or is it just a 1st-Gen modification?

Quote from: "Ranger"
Don't wanna make it rain on your rant about them but for just alittle bit of time and maybe 5 bucks, you could have had "Racetech" springs in about an hour.

If it's just a spring swap, here's the trick:
You take the factory springs, cut the tightly wound end of the spring off, make a spacer to compensate for the piece cut off, and you have "Racetech" springs.

:beers:

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 04:19:50 PM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:41:53 AM »
How do you compensate for the shorten spring with spacers, or do you lose some adjustability?

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Race Tech and Progressive
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 02:55:49 AM »
Quote from: "El Bandito"
In my recent experience, the customer service at Race Tech leaves much to be desired. I was told up front that the fork springs I had ordered were on backorder, but also told there was a shipment coming in the next week.. at that point they said they'd give me a call either way on that day to let me know the status.. no call.
 I called back a few days after that delivery and was told they still weren't there, so I asked them to check into it and get back to me with an eta.. no call.
 I called back a few days later and left a voicemail for the online orders department that I'd like an eta for my fork springs and to please return my call... no call.
 All in all, it was only over the course of about two weeks, but the lack of ability to make a phone call to keep me informed as promised is unacceptable. (IMHO)
 I called back once more, happened to get the sales manager, and cancelled my order due to the lack of customer service. She told me she was "bummed" and she was willing to help me, but I was done (and I found the springs in stock somewhere else for ten bucks cheaper)

Progressive, on the other hand, has been incredibly helpful in my quest for a rear shock for my ABS model B12. Justin, my contact at Progressive even owns a 1st gen b12!
 Even going so far as to solve the ABS model compatibility once and for all by sending my OEM shock to their R&D department for some measurement etc..  
 Can't say enough about how great he's been,, promtpt phone calls as promised & incredible willingness to help. And if I didn't like the Race Tech fork springs better, I'd buy the Progressives from him, too.

Those are my two cents.

I say, old bean, you seem to have had a rough go with Race-tech! But I shirley know what you're driving at. It's hard to get decent service these days, whether it's getting Race-tech gear of having your car fixed right at a reasonable cost (another topic. Please don't get me started!). Keep Justin's name and number in your Rolo-Dex for good, and if he ever leaves Progressive, make sure to find out where he went! People like him are a priceless treasure.

And that's my 2 cents (what the hell happened to the "cent" symbol on these confuser keyboards?).

Herb

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Race Tech and Progressive
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »
Quote from: "gyrogearcrunch"
And that's my 2 cents (what the hell happened to the "cent" symbol on these confuser keyboards?).

While the ¢ symbol is common on US typewriters, for some odd reason, it was dropped from typical US keyboards. (Ticks me off, too!) I did a quick Yahoo! search and came up with this little article (click here) on how to insert the ¢ symbol in various formats... but to make a long story a little shorter, for posting purposes here, if you hold the "Alt" key down and type in "155" on the number pad (the numbers along the top don't seem to work - at least for me), you'll get "¢."
 :lol: Now if I can remember that next time I want to use it, I'll be amazed with myself!  

You can always use $0.02 for 2¢.

When I've wanted to insert symbols like €, £, ¥, Ω, etc. I usually just find a website that has the symbol and copy and paste it.

I know, I know... :stfu:

:bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline speedytriple

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 03:56:53 AM »
i hear ya about racetech. i had my forks revalved and rebuilt last winter. ordered the parts, and then called week after week to see if my parts were in and my bike was done. a riding buddy of mine owns a shop and said he was calling every other day on them. took 4 weeks to get the parts in. if it was not winter time i would have canceled my order as well. now he is a ohlins dealer, wish he had been back then i would have got those instead. only cost 100 bucks more. and have heard they are much better then racetech. even though it took along time they are way better then stock. but that could also be the tech who put them in and revalved the forks?

mike
Mike
Berea, Ohio
2000 speed triple
2002 VW gti 1.8t