Author Topic: Redline oil  (Read 4108 times)

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
Redline oil
« on: March 20, 2005, 05:01:05 PM »
I have been running Shell Rotella synthetic oil in my '96 b6 since I bought it used a year and a half ago. No complaints. After reading up on oils here and in Sport Rider magazine, i decided to switch oils. This afternoon, i put in Redline synthetic oil and took a little ride.  It seemed to run and shift a little smoother but not a big difference. after a few miles to warm it up, i ran it hard up to redline through a few gears. The front tire came up for the first time on me! I know that oils can't make a big power difference. i settled on Redline for the added protection it should give at start up when the bike hasn't been cranked for several days and for it's ability to handle extreme heat better than most other oils. I am sold. :motorsmile:

Offline FreediverGa

• Board Homesteader!
Redline oil
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 01:20:08 PM »
where did you find it and who makes it?

Offline FreediverGa

• Board Homesteader!
Redline oil
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 01:33:10 PM »
nevermind I went to their webpge and find some dealers.  How much did you end up spending for a quart sounds price!

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
Redline oil
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 03:47:03 PM »
Redline makes some great products.  I have used their manual tranny oil in my cars with excellent results.  I think it is way too expensive to use for regular oil changes.

What weight oil did you get?  Unless it's less than the 5-40 Rotella like a 0-30, it's not going to do much more for you at start-up.  That is, unless it's more viscouse at start-up temperature and gets flowing faster, there won't be a difference.
If it's heavier like a 10-40 or 20-50, it certainly won't help at startup.

As far as HP, you may pick up a tiny bit, but it would not be noticeable over another synthetic of similar weight.  You would probably notice a bigger difference in power on a cold day from the denser air.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
Redli9ne oil
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:02:52 PM »
I went with 10w 40. Advance Auto had it on sale for $5.99($2.00 off). It is a group v ester based oil. From what I've read, it seems these oils should cling to metal better than other oils which should help protect the engine at start up. Redline oil also has one of the highest flash points of any of the oils I could find info on. This is just my take on what I've read. I'm pleased with the oil even though it may be overkill. My Bandit may never need that level of oil protection. The cheapest , no name oil may offer all of the protection the engine needs.