Author Topic: Riding gear  (Read 14511 times)

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« on: April 11, 2005, 09:38:38 PM »
I'm looking for suggetions for a set of riding gear.  Safety is the primary concern, as opposed to looks or weather resistance.  I'm leaning toward textile vs. leather, mostly due to cost.  I'd like the pants to be able to be worn over my jeans, and be able to put on and take off easily (they won't do me any good if they're too big a hassle to put on).

Any suggestions?

:thanks:
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 09:56:48 PM »
I have a pair of Tourmaster Cortech overpants. Like them alot. Textile with padding in the knees and hips. Real thick material that is water and wind proof. Zippers come all the way up the sides to make on and off easy. Really warm too. I'm good to about 30F for any length of time. Probably could double as snowmobile gear if that helps. Have a JR Atomic textile jacket. Not nearly as warm as the pants but has good padding in the critical areas. Hope this helps.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Riding gear
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 05:36:26 AM »
You didn't say what your budget is, but I highly recommend the great folks at New Enough.

They carry 11 major brands, have some of the lowest pricing and outstanding service. Be sure to check out the "Closeout" section for even more savings. (Selections can be limited in that section, due to the nature of closeouts, but can be a real score if what you need/like is in the sale bin in your size.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 10:37:28 AM »
The other advantage of New Enough is the real-world descriptions/reviews of all their products.  This includes sizing help for everything they sell.   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 01:09:55 PM »
I've been looking thru New Enough, and I agree, they've got some of the best prices around.  I like their reviews as well, but was looking for some more input.  I'd like to stay under $400 for the set if possible.

dsartwell1--how are the tourmasters in the hot weather

:thanks: for your help.
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 01:31:57 PM »
JR Alter Ego?

I'll speak-up for Paul, here (since I'll prob get the Alter Ego stuff, too based in-part on his recommendation).  It's a cool concept that actually works.  It is good all weather gear with the removable panels of ballistic nylon that expose mesh and the removable liner.  It looks like with delivery, you'd be right in the $400 ballpark ($215 for the jacket and $165 for the pants).
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 06:14:39 PM »
They get pretty warm above 75F. The zippers go both ways so you can open the sides some but its still pretty warm. I use them the most in the spring and fall especially in the morning. They're pretty bulky to pack but they do fit easily in a Cortech Tailbag. I just got the tailbag and its great!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 09:20:59 PM »
I was thinking about this thread...  If I only had ONE riding outfit, I'd go leather.  $400 might be tough but a good perforated leather suit would be my choice.  If I'm commuting or just out screwing around, I wear textile.  For a serious ride though the twisties, I'm in full leather - always.  I guess that doesn't help with your wanting to have something to wear over jeans or whatever.  Anyway, just my $.02.  Well, guess this is my third post in the thread so that makes $.06.   :lol:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Riding gear
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 02:03:25 AM »
If you do much riding in the rain, you may prefer textile over leather.

As Rob said, I have the JR Alter-Ego jacket and I think that idea is the best way to go if you're looking for an all-season do-it-all jacket. (Teknic has something similar and others may, too.) For pants, I've a pair of Fieldsheer leather pants (non-perf). They get a little hot in 90*+ weather, but in my neighborhood, we don't get a lot of that weather, so they do OK for me. I just sweat a little on road trips into the triple digits. If it gets wet, I put a set of rain pants from WalMart over 'em.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 07:45:34 AM »
Leather will give you the most protection,but if you want something you can slip over your jeans go with the other option. I can wear a pair of shorts under my leathers (I have a 2 pc. that zips together). but leathers are suposed to be good fit. Not only do they protect you from abrasion,but they should help hold everything together (to a certain degree )if you go flopping down the road.
  I only have leather, I would'nt mind getting  gortex padded gear as well for comuting. I'll have to visit New Enough when I have $ enough.

Offline B6Matt

• Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 09:09:35 AM »
I have FirstGear HT Overpants (about $150) and a FirstGear Granite jacket ($78 from www.newenough.com).  With the liners zipped into the pants and jacket, you're good with this combo down to 25 degrees.  Cold extremities are really your limiting factor at that point.  In fact, I rarely wear the liner with the overpants, because my legs don't get cold on the commute without them.  On a road trip, it would be a different story.

The pants and jacket are both padded at critical points (knees, hips, elbows, shoulders, back).  This combination is virtually waterproof too.

I wear suits and dress pants to work, so I leave most of my suit coats in the office and just wear the dress pants underneath my overpants to and from the office.

I recently bought a mesh textile jacket (Hein Gericke Urban) for the warmer weather because the FG Granite jacket is a tour-length jacket and is a bit too warm for over 75 degrees.  I can wear shorts under the overpants to keep things cooler too.  I have less than $400 total invested in two jackets and the pants.

I have seen leather overpants, but they're a bit expensive and cruiser-looking.
'01 Bandit 600s in Blue (sold)
'02 Yamaha FZ1
'01 Suzuki DRZ 400e

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 01:54:18 AM »
Newenough is tops! If I was starting over I would most likely do alot of business with them!!!

For bad weather/commuting I use an old pair of Joe Rocket overpants (padding at knees, hips, full length zipper, fairly waterproof - sorta) and a First Gear Kilamangero Jacket (Great! If I had only one this would be it!!!) I understand that First Gear and Hein Gericke are joined at the corperate hips.

For leather I found a great deal on a Vanson perf jacket, got the armor, nothing I'd rather crash in!!! I got HJC pants from Newenough, pads where they are supposed to be, great pants - not my choice for commuting.

Don't forget a good pair of boots (I use Alpinestars, get a good pair of good fitting, waterproof, armored boots, they should be VERY comfortable - mine are) and several good pair of gloves (what are your hands worth? How about control and comfort?) I have three pair, cold, normal, and hot (ventelated) all are armored and acquired at a deal.

This is assuming you already have a good hat (a good hat comes first in my book!!!).

This is why I never recommend riding as a way to save money. By the time you get gear, and get your bike squared away, there better be a better reason than "saving money", unless you are campaigning with the better half!

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline B6Matt

• Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 10:13:01 AM »
This is why I never recommend riding as a way to save money. By the time you get gear, and get your bike squared away, there better be a better reason than "saving money", unless you are campaigning with the better half!

Shhhhh...she'll hear you!  

I've got about $600 invested in riding gear already, plus another $3k in the bike.  After you figger in insurance...I'm saving all kinds of money.   :duh: At today's gas prices, you can at least make the argument with a straight face.
'01 Bandit 600s in Blue (sold)
'02 Yamaha FZ1
'01 Suzuki DRZ 400e

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 04:46:02 AM »
So Matt, you are the one riding around buck naked in a new Shoei hat huh? Nice paint!

:banana:  :monkeymoon:  :banana:  :stickpoke:

I hear what you are saying, and 6 is more than many spend on preserving their brains and hides, but if you got good hands, feet, jkt, pants, and hat, for 600 I really need to talk with you!

If you want safe, dry, comfortable, armored gear, it's liable to cost ya. At least you can come by it piece by piece. Still, if you dwell on the "safety" aspect this seems to register better with the estrogen crowd than "when I have that new turbo procrastinator no one will be able to keep up" will.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline NCBANDIT

• Board Homesteader!
Riding gear
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 09:30:11 AM »
I bought a teknic lightning jacket from newenough for $125 and love it! It may get hot in a few months, and if it does I'll get a textile. But for now, my next purchase is going to be leathers for the legs and some boots before I head up to the dragon. I'm thinking, boots excluded I can get out for around 350-400 on the jacket and pants ( haven't decided on brand yet)  :grin:

Anyone have any suggestions on some good reasonably priced pants? Good fit and padding are a must.  Thanks, Josh