Author Topic: Rifle 22 inch windscreen on the older Bandits  (Read 4543 times)

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
Rifle 22 inch windscreen on the older Bandits
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:19:58 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
Rifle 22 inch windscreen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 This screen is the largest they offer. It is a little unattractive, but offers superior protection from bugs, weather, and wind. Fits well, doesn't flex serioualy at high speeds.
I'm 6'7", and still look well OVER the screen, and can wear an open face helmet without a shield. Occasionally will get a bug on the very top of my glasses!
Some aftermarket mirrors won't work with the Rifles. The Rifles are a little wider throughout. I tried Napoleons, but the hit the edge of the screen before you had hit the end of the bar travel when steering.
The 18 would look the most attractive. Unless you're very tall, or wear no or an open face helmet, I'd go with a shorter one.

Edited by: PeteSC at: 8/9/02 10:03:43 pm

ROAMR
(10/22/00 9:47 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   Re: Rifle 22 inch windscreen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hi Iv'e been considering the rifle fairing for my B-12 , but wasnt sure what size to get . Im 6'0'' and ride fairly fast and far alot , my factory screen isnt cutting it . Your pix's helped me out ,I think I will get one , just one question: These pix's are of the 22'' right ? Please reply Thank you .

PeteSC  
ezOP
(10/22/00 10:09 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Re: Rifle 22 inch windscreen
 Yup, the 22....If you wear a full face helmet most of the time, as I do now, I'd try the 18, or 20. They're the same width, shape, etc.
I'd also spring for the smoked, next time...(personal opinion)
'99 b1200 Black
North Augusta,SC

lwaynemorris
(9/28/02 9:59 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   Re: Rifle 22 inch windscreen
 I mounted the Rifle 22" on my Bandit in July. I find it very effective ,very ugly, and over priced. From front view looks like a tophat.
I would recomend one of the shorter versions, the 20 would be high enough for even the tallest riders.
After seeing Pete's bike in Robbinsville I ordered the National Cheetah SST.  

UPDATE:The rifle offers the most protection of any aftermarket screen for the old Bandits.  Almost as much, and at less than half the price, is the National Cycle Cheetah.  

Offline trotsky

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.calicruisers.com
Rifle 22 inch windscreen on the older Bandits
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 04:01:21 AM »
i have the same thing on my 97 but tinted. I like the protection, but totally agree that it is the ugly sister of fairings. I eventually plan to get something a little smaller so that things don't look so goofy up front, but the wind protection will be missed.
'97 1200SA Black
Holeshot Stage 1
Yoshi RS3
www.calicruisers.com

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
rifle 22"
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 04:49:20 PM »
I have a clear 22" Rifle windshield on my 96 b6. I agree that it doesn't look as good as the smaller shields but the clear doesn't show up as much as the tinted shield. i even added saeng molding around the shield for a little more protection. I also have a Krauser k5 trunk with backrest pad on my b6. This helps to balance out the looks of the front and rear so the shield doesn't seem so large. I tried the National Cycle Cheetah windshield for one ride. It pushed the wind up to my helmet and out on the interstate, the turbulance was so bad that it blurred my vision. That shield promptly went back on ebay. I am pleased with my rifle shield. i wouldn't mind if it was about 1-2" wider and taller. I'm 6'1" but with a long upper body so I would be comparable to someone about 6'4" or so sitting on the bike.