Author Topic: SetUp Vision boots  (Read 7180 times)

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:23:21 PM »
I bought a pair of SetUp Vision boots from metricbikes.com.  I haven't had a lot of time to use them quite yet, mainly commuting, so this won't be much of a review.  This is my first pair of riding boots, so I don't have a lot to compare them with, but right off the bat I can say that for $129 (free shipping), they seem to be a damned good deal!  

They look pretty sharp, and feel very sturdy out of the box.  They zip along the inside, and have a single velcro enclosure at the top with some room to adjust for calf size.  There is a little more room around the ankle than I would prefer, but the toe box is snug yet comfortable and provides a lot of support with the stiff sole and comfy upper.  They feel best when I wear thicker socks.  I'm not sure how the ventilation is going to be in the warmer months, but I'm guessing it's not going to be much.  My feet stayed nice and warm during a few 20 degree rides in to work.
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"
2005-ish 47cc Cagllari "Balzac"

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:12:57 PM »
Jason, how did they compare to the sizing of your street shoes?  Same?

Thanks.

Jim

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:27:28 PM »
Jason, how did they compare to the sizing of your street shoes?  Same?

Hey Jim,
Length is right on, but I'd say that they have the potential to be a touch narrow.  They were comfy to start, and have gotten moreso as I've broken them in.
Jason
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"

Offline Jason F.

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 07:26:44 PM »
I purchased a pair of Setup Gran Prix boots that should be here in a day or two. Got them from Newenough.com. So far service has been good. I will have to post a review after I get them on fit and such.

www.middletennesseeriders.com

"I want to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned"

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:15:41 PM »
are the toe sliders removable/ replacable??

Im thinking of ordering these right away. Seems like a great deal although I would like replacable sliders.

what size sneaker do you wear, and what brand.  compared to these boots?

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 11:28:48 PM »
Quote from: IcyChaos
are the toe sliders removable/ replacable??

Im thinking of ordering these right away. Seems like a great deal although I would like replacable sliders.

what size sneaker do you wear, and what brand.  compared to these boots?

The Vision boots have replaceable toe sliders.

I wear a 10.5 pretty uniformly across the board.  I have trouble with Nike's being a little narrow in the toe.  I'd say the boots fit true to size.  They provide great feel for both shifting and braking.
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 11:33:54 PM »
You've sold me. I can't find anything for that price that matches, ordering now...

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:51:04 AM »
Xelement makes a real cheap boot at around $50 US but I don't know anything about them. (www.leatherup.com)

I've got a bid in on a pair of older Sidi's on ebay right now that look brand new.  My problem is my feet are a bit larger than size 12 US and that's what a lot of companies go up to...weird with the size thng as your American 12 is pretty much a Canadian (or UK) 11.  I never really knew that!

jim

Offline Jason F.

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 02:45:09 PM »
My Setup Gran Prix arrived today. I have them on now in fact getting a feel for them and breaking them in a bit around the house.

They are nice and light. Good solid zipper and Velcro closure. Very slim and sleek from the arch forward so they should be easy to slip in and out from under the shift lever, nice plastic wear pad on the shift lever point as well. Not overly gear like or flashy. In other words from a distance they almost look like normal black boots.

I am a pretty true American 12. My left foot is ever so slightly wider than my right. I purchased a size 47 Euro in these. Fit is right on. Length is perfect, width is perfect for the right foot and just a hair snug on the left but should get better as they break in and form to my feet. From the outside the Toe looks a bit narrow but there is plenty of tow room inside.

My only two complaints are I wish there was a slightly better fitting or tighter heel cup. I can feel my heel rise ever so slightly when walking. Again that may improve with break in. The other is the insoles are nothing special. I would like a slightly more formed or supportive insole. Those are easily purchased at the shoe store though.
www.middletennesseeriders.com

"I want to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned"

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 03:17:24 PM »
They are one beautiful boot!  Hey, don't get them all smelly the first day! :wink:

I am winning on these boots so far:

The pic is a bit dark but they have a red, white and blue stripe down the front - they look pretty good but I would rather have a nice pair of Setup/Sidi in red and black - but then I'll get these for $30 maybe?  Go for the better boots later on, I guess.

BTW, have you ever noticed when you find something you really want on ebay and then try to get two other things from the same company, so you can combine shipping, they never seem to quite have exactly what you want in the two other things??  Kinda drives me bonkers..... :duh:

jim

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:18:42 AM »
Love these boots, Thanks so much for the suggestion. They fit very well, but maybe somewhat tight near the toes. I expected that though as they are slimer up top than any normal boots. I don't mind it though since I can go lower to the ground and helps when I forget to put my toes on the pegs.

Very sturdy, well built, just an amazing boot for $130. I couldn't find any boot close to that range with replacable toe sliders

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 11:22:51 AM »
While boots are the subject! any one know of these Alpinestars Ridge Boots ? $95.00 shipped seem to be the norm.     :beers:

Offline zukie600

• New user!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 03:22:40 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread but I posted a review of the Ridge boots over in gear talk - http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=5757.  It doesn't start too good for the boots but I eventually get to liking them.

I've worn them for several hours on multiple trips now and they are very comfortable.  I wear a size 11 and have somewhat wide feet, the Ridge fits just fine though I don't think I could walk in them for a long time.  I do have to keep the velcro a bit loose so my calves can move fore and aft while shifting/braking.  I've ridden twice now on 90 degree days and while it's warm in the boot, it's not unbearable.

The only negative I can think of concerns the toe design as it is very squarish.  I feel like astronauts would have a very similar style boot.  However, IMO this isn't too bad of a buy for $98.

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 03:30:28 PM »
You know, that's a pretty nice looking boot - I've just been looking at taller ones but maybe I'll give them a lookie too.  Thanks, guys.

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
SetUp Vision boots
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »
+1 for Newenough.  Bought my Sidi Vertebra race boots from them.  Good price and great service.  Also told me that the sizes run funny and they were right!!  I take a us 13 in everything but the size 12 Sidi's fit perfect!
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!