Author Topic: Shinko Advance 005  (Read 7796 times)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« on: October 29, 2005, 12:31:57 PM »
Shinko Advance 005

I have to admit... The name Shinko scared me off big time when I first heard it.  I was convinced that I should go with Pirelli Diablo Stradas or Metzeler Roadtec Z6's.

But the overwhelming feedback I heard (including on sportbike forums)made me curious to try them out.  I figured I'd 'Take one for the team" and give them a try.  If I didn't like them, I was only out $155 (including shipping.) and mounting costs.

I decided to get the 005 model (sport) over the 009 model (sport-touring) because really wet/dry grip and handling are the most important things to me.  Plus... I always seem to get better-than-average mileage from sport tires because I'm not an ultra-squid.  

So I got the 005's scrubbed in and finally had a dry, fairly warm (55 degrees F) day to put them through their paces.

All I can say is "WoW".  I thought that my 12 year absence from motorcycling had turned me into a wussy... but it turns out it was just the stock tires making me feel that way.

The Shinkos are completely stable at any speed.  (I even tried letting go of the handlebars at about 80mph to check it out.) They grip like snot... and even just making turns in an intersection is way better.

The bike now turns like it WANTS to instead of HAS to.  (Which is the way it was with the stock Michelin Macadam 100's.)  The bike seems "flickable" now.  It has completely changed the way I feel about riding the B12.

I should add that I'm obviously not Rossi... and I really am still not sure yet what MY limitations are in the twisties, so I didn't scrape pegs or anything when I tested them out.  Regardless... I'm sure these tires exceed my abilities.

Also... If anyone needs a 'slabber' tire... my stock Macadams are for sale and are in new condition.  There isn't a mark on them, and the tread is unchanged from when the bike was new as far as I can tell.  I'm sure they are good for another 4000-8000 miles depending on how you ride.  PM me if you're interested.  I'm thinking $60 plus my cost on shipping for the pair.

Offline Hoppy

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 10:33:20 AM »
So what are your thoughts on the Shinkos now that you've had time to put some miles on them?
I just bought my 2001 B12 at the end of August and the tires that were on it were really bad. I wasn't sure if I'd make the 175 mile ride home or not. I put the Dunlop 220's on before I did any riding on it other than the ride home from the Bay area where I bought it.
I live in the hills at 4000 ft. about 65 miles ENE of Sacramento and the 20+ mile ride home from the freeway in Placerville is nothing but twisties. The Dunlops seem to stick well but I rarely scrape a peg as I'm 55 and it takes a lot longer to recover from a fall now than it did when I was 13 and just learning to ride (desert). I've put 3,000 miles on the Dunlops and the rear is already to the wear bars. The front has 4/32" in the center grooves so it will last a while longer. I don't do burn-outs (at least not intentionally  :grin: ) but do brake hard. They are starting to "wallow" (for lack of a better word) when going through the turns and the front is a little noisey when you lean it over. They still feel good on the straights and I get no bounce or vibration at any speed. I'd like to get more than 3,000 miles out of my rear tire but I guess if I want a tire that will stick I'll have to live with buying a new rear every three months or so. How do the Shinkos seem to be holding up mileage wise?
Sorry this got so long when it started out as just being a question about how you like your Shinkos now.

Hoppy

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 11:13:41 AM »
I've been in a Microsoft SMS class all week (Zzzzzzzz) and the weather has been cold/rainy/windy here in Chicago, so I don't really have an update.  I am very happy with them.  

The bike feels a lot more surgical in it's turns and I don't have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that the tires could wash out from under me every time I take a sharp corner.  (like I did with the stock Macadams.)

I should add a couple things... I'm 46 years old and feel a lot more mortal than I did when I was 21 with a CB750F with Metzeler ME99 tires, so I don't do squidly things myself really.

However, I did want to try to 'discover' exactly what the handling capabilities of the Bandit are... which is why I went to a sport tire (Advance 005) over the sport-touring tire (Raven 009).  

I would guess I'm going to get 5000+ miles out of these unless my riding behavior changes dramatically. (not likely)

I will also say that if they last less than 4000 miles or so, I will probably try the Raven 009 S/T tire next since I've heard it's grip is quite good as well, and they can last 10,000 miles.  My only other selection would be the Mezteler Z6 or Pirelli Diablo Strada.

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:04:04 AM »
I'm glad to see that some like minded people, have put aside the name and have given, the shinko brand ago. I've heard all the scare crap being spread by some people, for reasons beyond me.
And I see that in the American drag scene the shinko 001 and 003 are hitting the spot, in preformance and price, above a lot of the competition thats had it their way for too many years. Good to see, now lets see if the level of the bar raises again, from other companies, in both preformance and cost. I doubt it, but I live in hope. As I've said before I love the shinko product 009 rear 005 front on the 600 bandit, 005 rear on the zrx, a 005 on the front when I've got me moneys worth out of what it came with.

I have noted that when I first say to people "have you tried the shinko", most times, their nose turns up, but I'd love a dollar every time they have rung up with-in a couple of days, and are raving no end to how happy they are about the shinko, in both preformance and price. And considering some of these guys are total nutters on 2 wheels, and can and do out ride some 90% of the motorcycling population, it kinda makes the product look pretty damn good.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Elmojo

• TURBO TYPER!
My 2c for Shinko's
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 10:01:25 PM »
Hi All,
I've been away for WAY too long, but this topic pulled me out of retirement!
I bought a set of the Shinko 009's about 8 months ago, and have not one single complaint.
They heat up quickly, in fact I notice very little difference between cold and hot performance.
The grip is plenty sticky for my needs, which is mostly casual here-to-there type stuff with occasional twisties thrown in for giggles.
I have put about 2000 miles on them with no visible wear except a slight squaring on the rear. Plenty of tread left. I figure I'll get about 7-8k on these.
I'll definately buy them again.

Later!

Mike P.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 10:07:07 AM »
Yep that commuting guy that must own stock in shinko! Well if you peg dragers are raving about these and they last for us super slab homesteaders what's not to like? The "tire rip your eye teeth out mongers" better take note here! Does anyone know the history on these? I was told they were formally a YOKAHAMA operation that branched off to limit the parent co from liability! Maybe some Ausi mick knows? I would like to invest.   :beers:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 12:28:56 PM »
As I heard it, Yokohama sold their m/c tire equipment to Shinko when they decided to get out of the m/c tire biz...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 06:19:37 PM »
B6mick: I'm glad to see that some like minded people, have put aside the name and have given, the shinko brand ago. I've heard all the scare crap being spread by some people, for reasons beyond me.
And I see that in the American drag scene the shinko 001 and 003 are hitting the spot, in preformance and price, above a lot of the competition thats had it their way for too many years. Good to see, now lets see if the level of the bar raises again, from other companies, in both preformance and cost. I doubt it, but I live in hope. As I've said before I love the shinko product 009 rear 005 front on the 600 bandit, 005 rear on the zrx, a 005 on the front when I've got me moneys worth out of what it came with.

I have noted that when I first say to people "have you tried the shinko", most times, their nose turns up, but I'd love a dollar every time they have rung up with-in a couple of days, and are raving no end to how happy they are about the shinko, in both preformance and price. And considering some of these guys are total nutters on 2 wheels, and can and do out ride some 90% of the motorcycling population, it kinda makes the product look pretty damn good.

I know what you mean "Mate" @ BOSS a few days and got the same look! Like i'm a bad a$$ dragon rider! I'm not running that cheap crap!!!    :beers:

Offline BANDIT#999

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 08:52:40 PM »
And I see that in the American drag scene the shinko 001 and 003 are hitting the spot, in preformance and price, above a lot of the competition thats had it their way for too many years. Good to see, now lets see if the level of the bar raises again, from other companies, in both preformance and cost. I doubt it, but I live in hope.

More than likely Shinko will take all the positive feedback from their customers and like any other business start to bring their prices in line with the big name manufacturers. I don't doubt it, but I hope it doesn't happen.
If tomorrow really is the first day of the rest of my life..........does that mean all the shit I do today don't count?

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 08:56:49 PM »
And I see that in the American drag scene the shinko 001 and 003 are hitting the spot, in preformance and price, above a lot of the competition thats had it their way for too many years. Good to see, now lets see if the level of the bar raises again, from other companies, in both preformance and cost. I doubt it, but I live in hope.

More than likely Shinko will take all the positive feedback from their customers and like any other business start to bring their prices in line with the big name manufacturers. I don't doubt it, but I hope it doesn't happen.
So better order another set B4 thay do. $135.00shipped can sit on my shelf for a bit! :beers:

Offline dandit

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 10:19:12 PM »
What about the Tomahawk tires versus the Shinkos;any ideas :?:
'97 1200s with 65k- still rocks
06 Sonata v6 140mph
There ain't no medication like self medication!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 11:09:09 PM »
Quote from: dandit
What about the Tomahawk tires versus the Shinkos;any ideas :?:

Tomahawks are re-treads.  Shinkos are all new construction.  Given that the Shinkos are only about $25 more a pair... I wouldn't consider the Tomahawks myself.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »
="dandit"]What about the Tomahawk tires versus the Shinkos;any ideas :?:
Hey are you askin or tellin?? I just can't go for recapped or remolded what ever they are! Also i hear some say the have a bump that becomes noticable after a few miles! Shinko's rock IMOP.  :beers:   :motorsmile:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 11:26:12 PM »
="Hoppy"]So what are your thoughts on the Shinkos now that you've had time to put some miles on them?
I just bought my 2001 B12 at the end of August and the tires that were on it were really bad. I wasn't sure if I'd make the 175 mile ride home or not. I put the Dunlop 220's on before I did any riding on it other than the ride home from the Bay area where I bought it.
I live in the hills at 4000 ft. about 65 miles ENE of Sacramento and the 20+ mile ride home from the freeway in Placerville is nothing but twisties. The Dunlops seem to stick well but I rarely scrape a peg as I'm 55 and it takes a lot longer to recover from a fall now than it did when I was 13 and just learning to ride (desert). I've put 3,000 miles on the Dunlops and the rear is already to the wear bars. The front has 4/32" in the center grooves so it will last a while longer. I don't do burn-outs (at least not intentionally  :grin: ) but do brake hard. They are starting to "wallow" (for lack of a better word) when going through the turns and the front is a little noisey when you lean it over. They still feel good on the straights and I get no bounce or vibration at any speed. I'd like to get more than 3,000 miles out of my rear tire but I guess if I want a tire that will stick I'll have to live with buying a new rear every three months or so. How do the Shinkos seem to be holding up mileage wise?
Sorry this got so long when it started out as just being a question about how you like your Shinkos now.

Hoppy
One word 009's R 4 U  I know first hand. The front will last 10k or more so maybe get an 005 F 009 rear i got almost 8k and that was flat super slab!   http://store.azmusa.com/azmotorsports/shink.html    :beers:

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
Shinko Advance 005
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 01:27:52 AM »
Any crazy riders out there try these tires??? My Diablo Strada's stick extremely well when leaning ot pegs etc.  Im wondering if these shinko's will go the same. Im assuming for the same performance I may go with the 005's on both.  
If so how many miles do you guestimate a set of these will last??

Keep in mind I kill my bike. The rear runs quick from fast takeoffs and hi speed cornering.