Author Topic: Textile Pants....decisions decisions  (Read 7005 times)

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
Textile Pants....decisions decisions
« on: October 19, 2006, 03:14:23 PM »
Ive been reading up on pants, because jeans, just dont cut it.  I need something waterproof, so that essentially rules out leather.  Id rather deal with the heat than freeze in the spring and fall, so mesh isnt really a consideration.  I want pre-curved legs, good knee armor, and some type of hip padding.  My favorites thus far are the Cortech HRX's, Joe Rocket alter ego, and JR ballistic 5.0.  The JR's are cheaper, but they fit looser, which would allow me to wear them for commuting, etc (I have to wear khakis to work).  While being loose enough for layering, they are tight enough to be worn alone when I go hammering in the twisties during the summer.  The HRX's look too tight to wear jeans or even khakis underneath, but the tighter fit *should* in theory keep the knee armor where it needs to be, so if I take an unexpected pavement sample, the padding will be doing its job and not socializing with my calves.  Im a 3.5 season rider, I ride almost every day as well as ride like a retard on days off, so versatility without compromising protection is paramount.

Id appreciate any insight from people that wear these, especially any HRX peeps that are out there.  :thanks:   :banana:
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 07:18:37 PM »
I have the Joe Rocket Ballistic pants, and wore them this past weekend during the rain on our trip to the Land Between the Lakes.  They were good at being rainproof, except one part where I fialed to seal the fly correctly and got a wet crotch that was not due to an incontinence issue.  They are not TERRIBLY warm, but if you have lined jeans or longjohns, they can extend your riding season through the end of autumn.  They are comfortable.  They have one pocket on the front of the left leg, which is handy for wallet or keys or camera or cell phone, but another pocket or two would be better to accomodate ALL of these.  Haven't tried the other brands you requested, but I have no reason NOT to recommend these.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 09:15:30 PM »
I have the Cortech overpants and am real happy. I havn't given them a real good rain test yet but they are great for cold weather. Even wore them snowmobiling and was plenty warm.

Offline Heaven Bound

• Board Homesteader!
  • Crash Test Dummy
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:22:34 AM »

Motoport.com

I've been wearing these for about a month and got caught in the rain without the liner...stayed dry.  Looking forward to trying the liner when it gets really cold.  My 25 minute commute to work can get kinda cold when the temps get down into the 30's.

Kevlar, with the optional padding in the hip area.  Their advertising says that it is better than leather.  Hope I never have to find out.
Paul D.
04 GSF1200S (Charcoal Grey)
...TRASHED

My Other Digs Bikers4Christ     Listen to KLOVE online or find a station near you.

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 11:52:45 AM »
I'm with Sven on the JR Ballistic.  I wore them this morning in a light rain and they kept me very dry.   I wore them in a downpour about a week ago and they did let in some water in the knee area...the seam I guess??...but it was much better than the rain pants I used to use.  They do breathe, but I find them a little hot (which will be good in Dec - Feb).  I don't think they breathe enough for summer riding IMO.  As far as the fit, you might want to check them out in person (if buying online).  I got the small and it's just a tad too big and long for me.  I'm 5'6", 140lbs with a 29" waist and a 30" inseam.  The meduims came in short but not the small or extra small.  I could have probably still worn them over pants if I got the xsmall and short inseam (which, like I said, they don't make).

Happy shopping!
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline Asphalt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »
I use Joe rocket as well, but not the ballistic pants.  Its has a water proof liner, and is very good at keeping you warm and dry.  If you add some long johns then it REALLY does good.  When spring comes around and those freezing cold mornings and warmer afternoons hit they are perfect.  You can pull out the liner, and open the vents.
2006 Hayabusa....AKA (Bandit on Steriods)

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 12:33:09 AM »
Cool, thanks all.  Id like to go try some on, but NOBODY around here carries actual gear.  You want chrome grips?  a $1000 shoei? We got em.  You want real gear? sorry, gotta look elsewhere.  Blech.  :duh:

To ebay I go............
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 06:03:58 AM »
I;ve had these for 6 months now and wear them on trips to and in the Carolina mpountains. Comfortable, dry, a liner for warmth and they look much better than the pictures.

http://www.newenough.com/moto_gp_alpine_wp_pants_page.htm
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 12:29:51 PM »
For the rest of my riding season (which is about to end) I went to the local sports/hardware store and picked up a pair of waterproof nylon overpants of no particular brand for thirty dollars. For now they do the trick and are easy to carry. I intend on going for a better pair for the spring but, unlike you young pups with 30" waists, I'm cresting on 55 years with a 42W and a 30 inseam. There's the problem. I want something that works in all aspects and will fit comfortably over jeans.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline speedytriple

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 01:53:25 AM »
i use the first gear ht over pants. they are water proof, with or with out the liner. they are cut to fit over your pants, i wore mine the other day to work on third shift with a pair of cargo pants under them with no liner and was warm. with the liner and a pair of pants i can ride in 30 or colder and be fine for my 30 mile commute. i have had mine for over 15000 miles and they are holding up well. i got mine online as well. from new enough they were 120 bucks and well worth it. with the liner out they are ok for riding in the 70's or cooler anything hotter then 75 it gets a bit warm. more of a early season late season pants. by them selfs with no pants under them they might be ok for summer but a bit warm still. armor is good for over pants stays put and is comfortable. i like them alot and would buy another pair when these wear out.

mike
Mike
Berea, Ohio
2000 speed triple
2002 VW gti 1.8t

Offline Mini4x

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 08:52:20 PM »
I just got these..

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_caliber_pants_page.htm

My office mate has the MotoGp pants.. and I think the TM Calibers are worth the extra few bucks, armor seems better, craftmanship seems better.  I also have a TM jacket too and they match up nicely..

Offline zukie600

• New user!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 09:33:42 AM »
I've got the JR Alter Ego in the XL size.  I normally wear 36 waist and 32 inseam pants.  I wanted a riding pant that had armor, could be worn over clothes, could be waterproof and windproof, but also able to wear when it's hot.  The Alter Ego ending up being the best choice.  So far it's been a great purchase.  The best selling point to me was the removable strip that reveals a mesh lining.  It doesn't necessarily get a lot of wind in there when riding my faired S model, but it's better than nothing.  It also mates to my JR Reactor 2.0 jacket.

There are a few cons though.  JR claims these pants are for a 32 inseam, New Enough.com swears they are 31.5 and I believe them.  The pants are almost too short for me but luckily it does have adjustable knee armor that gives me just enough more inseam to work with.  Even with the removable strip zipped and velcroed in I've noticed just a bit of cold air sneaking in around my knees now that it's colder out.  Not a steady stream of air, but certainly noticeable.  Finally the removable water and windproof liner does exactly what it says.  However, it does not facilitate any moisture removal.  If I sweat at all with those things on I get a bit clammy.  You know, that "not so fresh feeling". :lol:

Anyway, they are a bit pricey for riding pants but the ability to wear them 3 out of 4 seasons was worth the investment to me.

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 07:59:40 PM »
I just got these..

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_caliber_pants_page.htm

My office mate has the MotoGp pants.. and I think the TM Calibers are worth the extra few bucks, armor seems better, craftmanship seems better.  I also have a TM jacket too and they match up nicely..

Thanks Mini4x.  I got those based on this thread and they are pretty nice for the price.  I got caught in the rain on trip back home and stayed dry.  They are really warm but will be too warm to wear in the summer.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 08:08:30 PM »
I use Alpine Stars leathers...which are great.(but pricy!!)

Likely won't work for you as you can't wear anything heavier than thin long underwear with them. They are basically water resistant, but I also use full Rain Gear(and duct tape if necessary) for Monsoon type conditions.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 08:09:53 AM »
Reviving a dead thread here...

I ended up getting the Cortech HRX because of the 2 stage liner (waterproof/thermal) because I didnt want to have a thermal liner in on a rainy summer day.  Being a new model, they were backordered from the manufacturer, so it took 2 months to get them.  :shock:  I took my first ride with them last night at about 30* F and Im very impressed.  The knee armor is something to get used to, as its pretty extensive, but  things like the leather seat make it much easier to move around on the seat when coming into corners.  Another cool feature is the 21" jacket attachment zipper.  It runs all the way across the back, should make everything pretty secure once I get the jacket side sewed on.

In the meantime Ive picked up a cortech GX sport jacket and accelerator gloves, I guess you could call me a convert.  :lol:   :motorsmile:

99 bandit 1200s