Author Topic: Top Cases  (Read 10773 times)

Offline Caper#5

• TURBO TYPER!
Top Cases
« on: September 14, 2006, 12:50:20 AM »
I was wondering what you guys are using for top cases? I was looking at the suzuki top case.
http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/partdetail.asp?id=100114&m=96

But I would like to hear what everyone here is using or has experience with.

Terry
2005 GSF 650S

Offline theroamr

• Board Homesteader!
We don't need more sensitivity training, we need DE-sensitivity training. Too many people with skin so thin you can see their quivering, sensitive little bones just waiting to be offended.

Learn to take a punch!!!

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Top Cases
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »

Offline jlmoulto

• TURBO TYPER!
Top Cases
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 01:26:58 PM »
Shad distributed by Motovan.com in Canada.  Prices are decent and the rack is sweet.  Friend in the FZ1 has a Givi setup and it would be fine as well, but a fair amount more pricy.

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Re: Top Cases
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 10:02:17 PM »
I was wondering what you guys are using for top cases?

Krauser system/k-wing

However, I had to have the TC rack fixed, had to do with the way the rack mounts. I had some damage and needed to get the inside TC-rack re-welded (to super strength, probably the way it should of come from the factory)
http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?p=4512&highlight=#4512
But now no problems, I can put 25 lbs in the case with no issues, that weld job underneath is probably stronger than the rest of the bike main frame.
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline oldandslow

• TURBO TYPER!
Givi E-52 "Maxia" with tail-light
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 10:08:34 PM »
http://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=9487

with MonoRack.

Holds two full-face helmets, or a notebook PC (in Targus shoulder bag) + change of clothes for work, or two small bags of groceries, or, or, or....

With a built-in stop-light.

My second Givi, very happy with it.

Oh, and it serves as a very effective frame slider - don't ask me how I know ;)
Rob in HMB (escaped from KC)
'02 B12, Givi E52 topcase, National Cycle Plexistar2, Kimpex grip heaters, Suzuki case guards

Offline Caper#5

• TURBO TYPER!
Top Cases
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:56:27 PM »
Thanks for your opinions, all of them would do the job.

Terry
2005 GSF 650S

Offline Asphalt

• Board Homesteader!
Top Cases
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 05:17:00 AM »
http://www.castlesales.com/html/productDetail.psp?catid=6&prodid=130&start_indx=7

I use this....it works awesome, and I can remove it and carry it as a back pack.
2006 Hayabusa....AKA (Bandit on Steriods)

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Top Cases
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:28:51 AM »
Quote from: "Caper#5"
I was wondering what you guys are using for top cases? I was looking at the suzuki top case.
http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/partdetail.asp?id=100114&m=96

But I would like to hear what everyone here is using or has experience with.

Terry

Very briefly? Givi Wing-rack and J.C. Whitney's largest top-case. Wingrack is expensive,  but you can mount three easily removable cases on it. "Sturdy" doesn't even come close!

Herb

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Top Cases
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:04:03 PM »
No offense, each to their own, nothing personal, etc. etc... BUT

I don't care how convenient, secure, efficient, or handy they are, you'll never see one of those big, ugly, bulbous barbecue grills sticking out on the back of my bike!  :annoy:

:stickpoke:  :grin:  :bandit:  :motorsmile:  :lol:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline mushupork

• TURBO TYPER!
Mounting Plate
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 11:19:43 PM »
Each of these cases requires a plate or something to mount the case to.  Givi sells special (and expensive) mounting plates but what about the JC Whitney etc. ?  What did you all purchase and mount to your bike to make these cases work?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Mounting Plate
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »
Quote from: "mushupork"
Each of these cases requires a plate or something to mount the case to.  Givi sells special (and expensive) mounting plates but what about the JC Whitney etc. ?  What did you all purchase and mount to your bike to make these cases work?

A luggage rack would be my guess.

I went with a soft "top case" that came with two racks. One rack for the 45L pack and one without the big hoop for the pack that is a plain luggage rack. (They have sizes ranging from 35L to 55L) You can just buy their brackets and plain "Sport Rack" if you like. One nice feature of their setup for the 2G is it mounts to the four bungee spool locations for a sturdier setup than most other racks out there. (Most rack just use the grab rail fasteners, and that's not strong enough for much more than a 10 lb load.)

Ventura Aerodynamic Bike-Pack System
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mushupork

• TURBO TYPER!
Top Cases
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 02:54:59 PM »
Mine is a 2000 B12 so I believe that is a 1G.  

The luggage rack was really my question.  There is nothing on the back of the bike now to mount a top case to.  Does it make sense to get a "generic" luggage rack one rather than buying one specific to the case you buy (like a Givi).  I'd like to save money while I decide what will work best for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Top Cases
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 04:08:30 PM »
No matter what you are going to have to buy a rack for your bike first as the platform for whatever top case you install. Even though the top cases like Givi or Givi clones come with a mounting plate for quick release, the mounting plate still requires a platform for attachment, i.e rack designed for your bike. I forget what brand I had but it was about $80 by itself and worth every penny. Then I bought a to case on ebay for $100. If you like the Givi style J.C. Whitney makes an exact replica that works just like the expensive Givi, I had one on my scooter and it held 2 full face helmets then some (very well made). Reportedly the same off shore company contracted to make Givi trunks just re-badged.
http://store.azmusa.com/gsf1200bandit.html
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2010969/p-2010969/N-111+10211+600014603/c-10111

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Top Cases
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »
Doesn't the Givi rack incorporate the mounting plate?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)