Author Topic: Battery Removal???  (Read 3981 times)

Offline mud390

• TURBO TYPER!
Battery Removal???
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:39:03 AM »
So when I parked my bike yesterday, I apparently turned the key past the "locked" position to the "P" position, thus leaving my rear light on all day and most of tonight.  I went out to the bike to take it for a short ride tonight and nothing.  The idiot lights were barely light and thumbing the started produced pure silence.  Even the horn is mute.  Dead battery.   :banghead:  So after looking at the battery, I have no clue how to get this thing out.  My bike is a 1991 Bandit 250.  It looks like the rear tank mounts have to come off and there is a metal "U" shaped brace that has 4 bolts in it above the battery (the tank mounts to this) that would have to come off.  Does this sound right?  Is there anything special I need to do or be aware of?  Thanks in advance!!!

Kris
1991 Bandit 250

Offline mud390

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Battery Removal???
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
After a bit more looking at the bike and then taking a look at some microfische slides, I got it apart.  It may just be me, but they way it all goes together down there makes it quite annoying to get the battery out.  Probably designed without any fore thought for maintenance later.  Off to the charger!

Kris
1991 Bandit 250

Offline crashoverrideplik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 02:38:04 PM »
I hate getting the battery out. It totally sucks. I did the same thing a few weeks ago with setting the key to P. :banghead:

Offline mud390

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
What is the point of the "P" setting on the ignition switch?  I now know (the hard way) that it locks the forks and turns on the tail light, but for what purpose other than to drain your battery for you?

Kris
1991 Bandit 250

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:09:21 PM »
 :grin:

It also serves to confuse the crap out of passersby when they see your taillights on. 
I once had a lady looking way too interested in my bike in a parkade. 
She was looking at the back, then scouring the bars and instrument cluster, and leaning all over looking for something.
As I walked up to her, I asked what she was doing, and she pointed out that my taillights were on and she'd been looking for the switch to turn them off. 
I hadn't realized that I'd turned the key to P either.

I think I read, in the Owner's manual, something about increasing visibility in some parking situations.

As to the battery removal, no, it doesn't really get easier.  What I did was install a charging pigtail when I put the battery back in.  That way, other than for winterizing, the battery doesn't have to come out anymore.  I agree, it's a pain, especially if you have a full tank and no helper.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline mud390

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
I agree, it's a pain, especially if you have a full tank and no helper.

That was me last night.  No fun.  I did get the battery out and now I'm just waiting on the shop to open to have it checked out.

That battery pigtail you speak of, is it specific to a charger or a generic setup.  Any pictures of the pigtail, by chance? 

Kris
1991 Bandit 250

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:52:32 PM »
The one I have is the mate to a Batter Tender, or the Yuasa Equivalent. 

This is what the pigtail looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/YUASA-FUSED-RING-CONNECTOR-YUA00ACC04/dp/B000H7JQRE/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b

And the tender that I have ( two of them actually, one for each bike) is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/YUASA-Automatic-Volt-Battery-Charger/dp/B000GZL29M/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_3

That pic shows the pigtail, but it really doesn't look like it is two pieces in the pic.  It is, but they've hidden that fact.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:08:52 PM »
yes done that few times...key to ''P'' position,  I’ve now fix it in my mind not to turn the key all the way around, Only to lock the folks.
''P'' Its a parking light but I've never really used it.

having to removal the tank to get to the battery is a pain,  :rant2: i've done it so many times now that it got easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :annoy: trying to make it more easier  :roll: I've install some joiners to the vacuum line & line filter to the fuel line so the tank is easier to removal and refit.

I also use a fuel transfer, So if your tank is full it save a lot of trouble...  am in the UK so.....

This is the one i use

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do;jsessionid=8e6f92b75a9629f5005b55523ff3?method=view&s=ec96

but i've also come cross

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do?method=view&s=tp50

Like Stormi i've install a pigtail, my came with the charger.  I would say the pigtail is specific to the charge, but one may be able to get pigtail with adaptors.

Dek

Offline mud390

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »
Thanks for the links!  That makes perfect sense now.  Luckily, I didn't have to pull my tank all the way off.  I just pivoted the tank from the seat side and slid the battery out.  I dropped the battery off at a local shop and they put it on the charger for me on a slow charge over night.  I would have done it myself, but my charger is in the States in a warehouse in Arkansas somewhere.  Anyhow, I'll take the bike back apart tomorrow to put it all back together with the freshly charged battery.  I'll also be looking into a new battery charger.

Kris
1991 Bandit 250

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »
I think the idea behind the "P" position is similar to using 4-way flashers when you break down and have to leave it on the side of the road and go away to get help.  I haven't looked on any of the latest Suzukis to see if they've done away with "P" now that they've finally started putting 4-way flashers on their bikes. (IIRC, the Bandits didn't get 4-ways until 2005.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
am alway jumping in with both feet.

true you don't need to pull the tank all the way off to remove the battery, although if you got full tank it may help to removal some of the fuel, especially if like me, i don't want too mark my tank, more so for me as i have removed the edge stripe that use to run around the bottom of the tank.

I've try to take as much annoys as possible out when i need to fully removal the tank for carbs work, etc.