Author Topic: ^&*^@ wires that go to the coil packs  (Read 3830 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
^&*^@ wires that go to the coil packs
« on: May 06, 2007, 11:59:27 PM »
These damn things keep breaking on me while I'm on the highway. I thought I poped the motor. All I hear is *BOOM* from a massive backfire then the bike is running on 2 cylinders and the tach is dead.

Now I've had the same problem before but the tach kept working?? This time is was the other coil pack. Is the tach only connected to one coil pack?? I wouldn't have figured... but it would seem that way.

I started poking around on the side of the busiest highway in canada and found one of the wires broke. I taped it up and limped home and fixed her up.

Then I spill gas on my tank. So I take it for a bath. Then the bike is running on 3. Stupid me, I can see where the spark is arching so I go to move the wire. Ouch. 30,000 volts sucks.

Anyways just thought I share my agony... I'm not really superstitious, but that's 3 things. That should be it.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:12:45 PM »
lol :taz:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Re: ^&*^@ wires that go to the coil packs
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:56:48 PM »
Quote from: "interfuse"
Now I've had the same problem before but the tach kept working?? This time is was the other coil pack. Is the tach only connected to one coil pack?? I wouldn't have figured... but it would seem that way.

The tach is connected to the low voltage wire of the coil for cilinders 2 and 3. This is a thing to remember, when the CDI or pickup fails or any part of the ignition before the coil, the tach needle will be dead when you crank the bike. Then you will know where to look if the bike doesn't start.

Oh and the voltage is something you can get used to, try holding xenon light connectors and turn on the lights. Or TIG welding without gloves while sitting on a metal seat and hitting the electrode with the steel wire :trustme:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 02:55:22 PM »
Why not just pee on a electric fence :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:34:12 PM »
I don't pee on other people's properties :stickpoke: