Author Topic: Exhaust question (gaskets)  (Read 3136 times)

Offline uber

• Board Regular!
Exhaust question (gaskets)
« on: October 19, 2005, 01:40:16 PM »
Hello all :grin:

I intend to polish the exhaust on my B4 back to its former glory and suspect that it is going to be considerably easier to do it removed from the bike. So with that in mind I have two questions :

1) Will I need to replace the 4 gaskets? Anything else need/might as well replace while im there?

2) The microfiche I have lists 2 different part numbers for the gaskets. One has (ASB) - asbestos, and the other has (NA) - not asbestos, printed after the part no. Both are available to order from my parts place but trouble is I don't know which to order? Anyone have any ideas?

:thanks: folks!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 05:46:46 PM »
Just flip them over and re-use! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 06:30:46 PM »
Hmmm... I've taken the exhaust off a couple of times, didn't see any gaskets. Gotta take a look at tomorrow.

Offline stripes1976

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:37:11 PM »
more often than not they are wedged into the port of the cylinder head and need pulling out to remove them!

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 11:58:20 PM »
I have had 5 pipes on my bike since it was new and have never changed the gasket of had a problem with them leaking. So I wouldn't worry just leave them alone.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 12:19:54 AM »
I've replaced mine before... but I've never had a problem with them leaking. I only thought I did.  :lol:  

Last time I bought them from Suzuki, I went with the non asbestos version and had no problems. Even though asbestos is an amazing material I perfer to "limit" my exposure to it.

The old gaskets were so covered in soot that you could really see them and I had to pry them out.

The 4 gaskets from Suzuki cost me aprox. $50 cdn. This year I bought a set off ebay. They look very similar to what I got from Suzuki and they only cost me $15 cdn. I'll let you know how the cheap ones are next year.

Here's a pic of the cheapos. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the OEMs.

Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 02:26:53 PM »
I used a bit of exhaust gasket putty when i changed my headers, worked fine.
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline uber

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 03:35:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies all. So with the general consensus that I dont need to wait for new gaskets I went ahead and started the polishing process today.

Turned out to be a bit of a pain right from the start! In order to get to the 8 bolts holding on the downpipes I had to remove the rad. Wasnt sure whether I needed to drain it to do this but though I better had anyway so a couple of litres of coolant later I could see the bolts.

Each came off suprisingly well until (sods law) the 8th bolt which was a right pain to get unstuck! Anyway with them all off I tapped out the exhaust and off it came.

PROBLEM!

The casing surrounding one of the ports broke off! Dont know how it happened, it just fell off as the exhaust came out. I've attached a pic to try and better describe what has happened. You will see the difference between what it should look like (left port) and the broken one (circled red) - (excuse the dirt and rust, bikes a '93 and the British weather doesnt help!).

So should I be overly worried about this? It's only the one side that broke off if it makes a difference. Can this be a JB weld job or have I properly damaged it?!

Also is there anything else I need to do as I put the exhaust back on, or is it just a staright reversal of getting it off?

:thanks: guys!

Offline MaccDaddy

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 01:01:17 AM »
I wouldn't be to concerned as it's only really there for asthetics if you want to you could use some JB to fix er up  :beers:
1992 BANDIT 250
1972 KZ 750 (AND NO I'M NOT GOING TO FINISH                  IT ANY TIME SOON!!!!!!)

DO YOU KNOW WHERE HE IS !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?