Author Topic: Taking it to the track  (Read 3335 times)

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
Taking it to the track
« on: November 01, 2006, 04:05:24 PM »
I'm taking El Bandito to my first track day on Sunday. Anyone who has any good advice, feel free to post it.

I'll see if someone can get some decent pics.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Taking it to the track
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 05:46:02 PM »
Have fun :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Taking it to the track
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 05:58:11 PM »
A wise man once said, you have to go slow to go fast.  Be smooth.  Learn the lines.  The B4 obviously gets walloped on the longer straightaways by just about everything else on the track with you.  Once you get comfortable and learn the lines... keep working on corner speed.  You CAN keep up with most of the people out there.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
Taking it to the track
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 09:59:05 PM »
Well, my mate is taking his VT250 down, and I've heard a rumour that someone else is going to be riding a GN250, with its thundering 22HP output.

So hopefully I won't be the very very last guy over the line.

One of the great things I'm finding with the 'lil Bandit is how easy it is to fling around, so adjusting my lines should be a bit easier than for some.

Offline Amac955

• New user!
Taking it to the track
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:58:58 PM »
This will be a long one but I have done 16 track days on my SV this year so I have learned a thing or two.  Sorry about the novel:

#1 Rule.  Have fun.  There are no winners at track days, only losers.  Don't get competetive AT ALL your first track day.  There will be time for chasing people around later but just worry about getting comfortable on the track.  (Don't ask me how I know this)

Do a good check on your bike, all controls (hand and foot), cables, brakes/calipers/chain, etc.  tape your wheel weights with duct tape.
Also do a good post-flight inspection.  You'd be amazed what will rattle loose after a day of wringing that beautiful I-4's neck.  Clean and lube your chain and make sure it is on the looser side of the tension spectrum; your suspension will work better if the chain isn't too tight.

Pay attention to the rules and riders briefings.  People can and do get hurt and killed (okay rarely, but it has happened) at these events, and the rules are there for everyone's safety.  Don't EVER look behind you when riding on the track.  Make SURE you know how to exit and enter the track safely and predictably, this is probably the most probable place you could have a collision with a high speed differential.  If you see someone doing something stupid talk with control riders, management, etc.  They want and need to know about idiots.

Try and get a good night's sleep the night before (you will be excited and nervous).  Shy away from alcohol the night before (and preferably 2 nights prior).  You don't want to go into this dehydrated.

What to bring:

1. a decent toolbox/kit with common sized wrenches, sockets and allen heads if you have it.  If not, there will be plenty of people who will help you out.

A good, dial-type pressure guage.  Stick guages suck.  Borrow one from someone in the pits if you don't have a good one.  30psi F/R (cold) is probably a good starting point for tire pressures.  Make sure you have more in the tires before you leave.  It is easier to bleed them down than try and find a compressor and pump them up.  Check Tire pressures again after lunch when they are cold again.  If the ambient air temperature has risen a lot since morning, you may need to bleed them down a bit.

2. A collapsible chair.  When you're not riding, rest.  You will be tired by the end of the day.  If it's going to be hot and you have a canopy-type tent, bring it if you have room.  If you don't, pit next to someone who does and get friendly.

3.  A cooler with plenty of water.  STAY HYDRATED!  I usually bring 1 or 2 gatorades as well but don't like to drink too many because they have too many calories.  Munchies are nice too, but there may be a food vendor there as well.

4.  If you have spare levers, pedals, etc. bring them.  These are the most common parts you will break in a low-speed get-off.  You may be able to recover from a minor crash and get re-teched if you have the parts you need.

5.  I always bring a spare tire for the trailer and a small 2 1/2 ton floor jack, just to keep Murphy at bay.

6.  Make sure you remember all your gear, Boots,leathers, helmet, gloves, back protector if you have one.  If you're going to be doing a lot of track days, invest in underarmour or equivalent.

7.  Bring some kind of spray cleaner (I use Honda Polish), wet rag, or something and clean your visor off between EVRY session.  almost everything that you are doing is triggered by visual cues, so keep your visor bug-free.  I soggy rag followed by a dry one works just fine too.

8.  Extra gas.  You probaly won't need any but gas at the track usually costs 3-5 times what it does on the street.  Captive audience and all.

That's all I can think of for now.  Have a GREAT time.  By the way, what track are you going to?

Aaron

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
Taking it to the track
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 12:47:10 AM »
Quote from: Amac955
This will be a long one but I have done 16 track days on my SV this year so I have learned a thing or two.  Sorry about the novel:

<snip>

By the way, what track are you going to?

Aaron

Wow. Thanks for that.

It's the new Taupo track in central New Zealand. http://www.tauporacetrack.co.nz/

I think it's just been confirmed as one of the circuits for one of the big race events (WSB or whatever).

Offline Amac955

• New user!
Taking it to the track
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 10:23:20 PM »
Cool Layout!  Have a great time and keep the shiny side up!

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
Taking it to the track
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 03:19:37 AM »
Well, that was fun. What wasn't fun was the trip back and the late night, followed by a 12-hr workday.

Got to concur with everything Armac posted. I was lucky enough to hook up with a good, experienced crowd with lots of kit, including tent, seats, tools etc etc.

All good apart from a wee problem with the bike that deserves its own thread, I think.