Author Topic: cdi  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
cdi
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:45:16 AM »
Hi everybody Im from the Philippines and I have just bought a GSF 250 with a broken cdi. Mai I know or can you guys post a picture of what a trukly 250 cdi looks like and if it has a parts # or serial # that goes with it. I really dont know if my bike has an original 250 cdi or what. Its hard to look for parts of the bandit out here. Thanks guys.

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
cdi
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 12:27:10 PM »
First,  :welcome:  to the board.

Second, I own a 400 and I know nothing about 250s, haven't even SEEN one in person, there probably isn't a single 250 Bandit in my whole country. Therefore please ignore anything I have to say.  :grin:

Having said that, there are apparently a lot of similarities between the 250 and 400. If you search in the 400 section of the board or the 400FAQ section, you will find a lot of information about failures of the digital igniters and how to repair them. If you are convinced the igniter is no good, and can't find a replacement, you may want to give a try repairing the one you have.

Good luck,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
cdi
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 03:12:52 PM »
Hey - that's what I was going to say!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
cdi
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 04:34:54 PM »

The part about checking the 400 forum, or the part about knowing nothing?  :lol:
1991 B4

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
cdi
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the inputs bro. Hope that I could make repairs on my cdi. But as of now the mechanic put a cdi from a yamaha I think. Dont know if will work out fine but as of this time Im only starting to make the bike fire up. Thinking that a carb synchro is next to determine if it would engine would fire and idle smoothly.

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: cdi
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 11:17:29 AM »
the mechanic put a cdi from a yamaha I think.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Hey Dragon,
I don't know how knowledgeable you are about motorcycles, so please don't be insulted by this question, but are you sure we're not talking about a regulator/rectifier rather than a CDI ?
Because to my very limited knowledge of these things, it is very unlikely a digital igniter (or CDI) from a Yamaha will work in your bike, but regulator/rectifiers are somewhat interchangeable ( I've been running a Honda reg/rect for a year and a half now ).
If it is a CDI swap and it works, please post the details.
Regards,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
cdi
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 11:43:32 AM »

The part about checking the 400 forum, or the part about knowing nothing?  :lol:

Both!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Dragon888

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: cdi
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 10:43:56 PM »
I really dont know a lot bout motorcycles, Im rathe new in this sport and I dont really know what my mechanic is trying to do or is ripping me. Here in the Philippines CDIs are hard to find and just in case ther is one they are quite expensive. The cdi as my mech told me came from a 400cc Yamaha Diversion, he just traced the electrical connections of the CDI and tinkered with the pulser underneath the bike and it started. I really dont know if it will run smooth though at all RPMs. So that why Im asking about any info regarding cdis. Can a cdi from a bandit 400 be used on a 250? I think if its possible that it could be better than putting one from a Yamaha Diversion.
Quote from: magicGoose
the mechanic put a cdi from a yamaha I think.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Hey Dragon,
I don't know how knowledgeable you are about motorcycles, so please don't be insulted by this question, but are you sure we're not talking about a regulator/rectifier rather than a CDI ?
Because to my very limited knowledge of these things, it is very unlikely a digital igniter (or CDI) from a Yamaha will work in your bike, but regulator/rectifiers are somewhat interchangeable ( I've been running a Honda reg/rect for a year and a half now ).
If it is a CDI swap and it works, please post the details.
Regards,
Steve