Author Topic: HELP! Bandit 250v valve timing  (Read 2953 times)

Offline kznbro2

• New user!
HELP! Bandit 250v valve timing
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:07:21 AM »
Hi,
Can anyone help? My bandit timing marks don't seem to be like in the manual & the sprockets are not marked E & I. Only the cams have IN & EX stamped in them. The engine is a non variable valve engine.

We have timed it, I think, backwards from the inlet. Eg. From the alternator side @ TDC, the cam notches (in the ends of the cam shafts) are horizontal & pointing together. This puts the inlet about to open & the exhaust about to close (valves on-the-rock) with the marks as follows: 1, inlet, pointing to the gasket seat on the head (back of bike), 2 straight up, 3, exhaust, nearly straight up with 20 roll pins in the chain from #2. As far as I can see the marks are on the wrong side! The engine turns by hand with zero binding but the compression is only 200 kPa so I think the valves are timed in the clear but incorrectly.

Has anyone here actually set a GSF 250v engine, not the GJ74a/73a engine, the GJ77A. The layout on this engine seems a bit different to the 400,1200 & the earlier 250?

It's freaking my brain right now! :banghead:

I have read through the "does this look right" topic & mine does not look like that! I can't even see the timing marks from the clutch side of the bike! We did try the exhaust first 1,2ex, 3in approach but the engine can't turn by hand, it locks. Also; the cam sprockets were not removed during tear down
Pete.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:27:01 AM by kznbro2 »