Author Topic: while i got it open...  (Read 2338 times)

Offline chachipower

• New user!
while i got it open...
« on: June 21, 2010, 03:29:19 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post. Just got a 92 Bandit a couple of weeks ago and she seems to be in great shape. Starts instantly each and every time. Well I've started to fiddle untjl I can get her on the road. Only thing is that it doesn't want to idle low. Seems to be happy at 2000. If I adjut idle knob it slowly revs down and shuts off. So not so bad but now im cleaning carbs for peak performance.

-have carbs apart, orings look ok

- cleaned everything and made sure orings from cap were einstalled. Diaphragms still very rubbery

- pilot jet rubber plug missing on one carb, will replace asap
- the needles under the drill out plug were adusted out about 5 turns from seated. Is this too much? Brought it down to 2.75

-everything really looks good so far and since bike runs good otherwise it should still be good when I put it back together.

When revving at a standstill, it did seem to have a flatspot between 4-6 6-8k rpms. Should I shim the needles? Thinking 2 washers maybe. Anything else I should take care of while I'm at it? Not lookig forward to taking it apart again if I miss something. Thanks in advance

This bandit has a certain charm to it. Its not the fastest bike nor the best looking but it seams like tons of fun. Especially since this little inline 4 likes to rev!

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: while i got it open...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »
Hi,
You will have problems with the bike due to the rubber plug missing as this carb's pilot system will run rich due to no plug. The standard pilot screw setting is 1.5 turns out.

Offline chachipower

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »
Thanks, turns out there was a plug there.. found it when I dropped the new one I bought! Fell rigt next to it. Go figure.

Well here's what I did. I took out everything. O rings looked ok especially after shop quoted me 85 to get new ones. I turn screw out 2.75 times and slipped one washer on the needle.

Now bike starts great, flat spot is completely gone and it idles rock solid at 1000rpm. (Prob not actual, needle sits in the middle of 0 and 2. My interest in geting this on the road just shot through the roof now that its running hella smooth. Thanks to this forum, my bike is doing awesome.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 04:01:03 AM »
Good to hear you got it running. If you ever need the o'rings i do a set for £12. :thumb: