Author Topic: 2007 Gsxr 600 rear shock on B4! INSTALLED  (Read 4654 times)

Offline Amdalthon

• Board Regular!
2007 Gsxr 600 rear shock on B4! INSTALLED
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:30:19 PM »
Hi. I recently purchased a B4 as a first bike. When I brought the bike to my work which is a automotive shop, it was parked there for about 2 days. (I know what a shame :( insurance in Ontario is a joke and they are asking way to much for insurance. If I wanted to be insured right now, It would cost $4200 a year but in August it will drop down to $1800. It is so expensive because I'm 21 and that's under high risk.... to many people bought Hayabusa's and killed themselves doing stupid things.......also one year of having a my licence). ANYWAYS away from the point again sorry. On the third day when I got to work I noticed a big puddle under my bike...... the rear shock gutted itself. Excellent my first bike and it already has its second problem, it needed a rear shock.(previous owner messed with the carbs and it would run sluggish 4-8k and then rip to redline with ease. got that fixed) but back to my main point.. I had to look for a rear shock. Since a shock from the dealer was ridiculously expensive I tried to find a alternative. I read tons of posts of replacement shocks. 91 gsxr 750, and sv 650(need to be modified). I decided to take a risk and buy a fairly new 2007 gsxr 600 shock it was only 30+20 shipping and it was really close in length (I will post the length tomorrow compared to the old one). it also has tons of adjustments if i ever need to fiddle around with dampening or rebound... never mind ive been rambling to long BUT I got pictures of how it fits in the bike and what I had to do to get it to fit.

Here's the bike itself before I started working on it. It had a hindle exhaust on it at the time which I shortened about 10cm(4 inch's) (I personally thought it was to long and I also had to repack it so it was a combo deal)

First I had to remove the old coolant reservoir since it is in the way of the new shock. It has a built in reservoir on the shock unlike the old 91 gsxr 750 with a separate reservoir from the body.

This is the shock on the bike with the old reservoir removed

The shock is a few mm longer then the stock shock so there was a little clearance issue between bottom shock mount and the wishbone body. I had to grind around 1-1.5mm of material off the center of the wishbone. This is a picture after I ground the wishbone with the shock in.

The gsxr shock is a little bit wider and wouldn't fit in without the washers. I have a picture with the shock installed already.

The next step was to make a new reservoir, since I couldn't reuse the old one(to big and bulky). The picture below is my reservoir in the bracket I made to hold the reservoir in place. It is bolted down with the battery tray(same bolt) and is supported on the other end by the frame. For a reservoir I used a 250mL(8.5 oz) battery acid constainer and I had to modify the cap to hold onto the overflow tube. I'm sure you can use something else for a reservoir but this is what i had available and it fit in perfectly. Make the reservoir was actually the most difficult part of the swap.

I found an excellent place to put my reservoir since it is easily visible and fit in perfectly
I thought I had images of the bike from afar after everything has been installed but I didn't take them X_X. I will take the pictures and post them tomorrow.

Offline trev69

• Board Regular!
Re: 2007 Gsxr 600 rear shock on B4! INSTALLED
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:29:58 AM »
Good work there on the reservoir bud. what was the eye to eye length of the shock you used? your bike looks great in yellow btw

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »
Which insurance companies did you call? When I started riding my insurance was only $1200 or something and I was in my early 20s. Do you have your m2? Tickets?

If you haven't already call John Duffy and get quotes from jevco and riders plus.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Amdalthon

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:03:40 PM »
Ok today i measured the Eye to Eye length on the shock and on the Gsxr 600 its 12.5 inch's and stock is 12 inch's. It gave me a little seat height but i didnt mind that. I also took more pictures of the bike all finished up. and for insurance I have no speeding tickets, no accidents, nothing. Its just in the past 3 years the insurance jumped dramatically for younger riders. I currently have my M2 but I've only had it for 10 months but the price will drop from $4200 to $2300 with Jevco and $3200 to $1800 with TD insurance in August since I would have my license for 12 months which is all they really care about.

Sorry about the poor quallity pictures   :banghead:

Here is a picture of the entire bike. When I had it in the sun to take pictures my shitty ipod camera made the bike look white, so I moved it to the shade. But in the sun the yellow is really bright.

I also had to do something with my wire harness because it was binding when I turned right and there was just a little cover covering the wires. the wires were still exposed with that cover and allowed water to get in, so I striped the cover off and put a shielding around the wires from under the tank to inside the headlight then I went over it twice with yellow electrical tape. It matched the bike and I also think it looks good with a yellow Vain. I also painted the seam of the tank black to blend in with the frame. I had to do this because the guy who painted the tank yellow had a plastic seam epoxied to the bottom and was holding water causing it to rust. So I striped the plastic, sanded it and painted it black and it came out very nice IMO

This is my shortened Hindle with the tag removed also. it also got repacked an currently sounds like a 1000cc or bigger every 1 also thinks that. :grin: You can also see my reservoir nicely packed into the frame and easily visible  to check the coolant level in the reservoir.

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:52:41 PM »
Nice work!
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:56 AM »
Very nice! How does it ride compared to before? Or didn't your ride it much before the swap?

Anyway.. I live in the netherlands and it's a pretty expensive country, especially when it comes to stuff like that. Make a couple of wheelies? Bam lose your license and pay $1000 for a "re-schooling" if you're in bad luck. We also have rules to limit HP (34) <21 year etc. etc.

...But $4200 for insurance?? LMMMMAOOOOO!!!!!!!! I bought my 1st bike age 19 and it cost me $10/month!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:24:56 AM by Squishy »

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 01:08:25 AM »
Its a great conversion.
I got my 06' GSX-R shock with 0 miles,for 50 bucks. Been running it for 5-6 years now,love the adjustability.I kept the stock res., just moved it forward above the engine,behind the radiator.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:10:20 AM by turbofb »
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline Nige W

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
Just checking out the fit of a GSXR600 shock I've obtained (K1). See what you mean about having to remove some material from the alloy arm to get clearance at bottom of shock. Will take a little out there and also chamfer the bottom of the lower, alloy mount on the shock itself... looks like 2-3mm extra clearance required overall. If that doesn't work I'll use the fittings that came with the shock (including the alloy arm) by altering the lower frame mount to suit.

Just got this bike (1990 400) last week so taking it apart to rebuild into a lightweight backroad/track tool. Noticed from other threads that - as it's a Japanese market model - it is restricted in terms of revs/ignition... seven wires from CDI, so will do the de-restriction mod to wiring before I get it running.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »
Nice work, looks great.
Aa lot of people re fitting the same shock to the GSXR4.
You need to take the fluid level down in the rear brake master. :wink:

@ Nige, you may find the earlier 600 shock quite long, ive read the K1-K4 or maybe K5 are longer than later with the yellow spring.

Offline trev69

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »

@ Nige, you may find the earlier 600 shock quite long, ive read the K1-K4 or maybe K5 are longer than later with the yellow spring.

i agree. i have a k3 shock which is apparently the same as k1+2 and its about 320-325mm iirc. waaay to long without mods to the linkage

Offline Nige W

• New user!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
Looks to be a bit of wriggle-room once a little ally ground off the bottom "knuckle". I wanted increased rear ride height anyway to quicken up steering so should turn out just about right. Will post on this subject when installed properly, though something of a complete rebuild going on now...