Author Topic: I solved my electrical gremlin  (Read 2933 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
I solved my electrical gremlin
« on: June 21, 2005, 12:07:41 AM »
Since I got my bike back, I've had an intermittent electrical problem. Sometimes the bike would start fine and other times it wouldn't even try. Since the starter solenoid wasn't even clicking I figured it must have be one of the safety switches.

Turns out the clutch switch was filled with grime. A little bit of cleaning and now it seems to start every time. Woohoo! No more praying when I turn off the bike at the gas station!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 12:08:37 AM »
:congrats: MR TESLA
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 12:44:16 PM »
Intermittent problems are the biggest PITA! Glad you were able to figure yours out.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »
Quote from: "jcmjrt"
Intermittent problems are the biggest PITA! Glad you were able to figure yours out.

I was dreading having to fix the problem for fear of making it worse. But after a week of having to flip every switch 20 times to get the bike to fire, I decided I'd best figure it out before I got stranded somewhere. I went outside armed with the shop manual and a multi-meter. I didn't even need the meter. As soon as I removed the clutch switch it was evident from the amount of grime inside that it was the culprit.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
Re: I solved my electrical gremlin
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 06:13:06 PM »
Quote from: "interfuse"
Since I got my bike back, I've had an intermittent electrical problem. Sometimes the bike would start fine and other times it wouldn't even try. Since the starter solenoid wasn't even clicking I figured it must have be one of the safety switches.

Turns out the clutch switch was filled with grime. A little bit of cleaning and now it seems to start every time. Woohoo! No more praying when I turn off the bike at the gas station!

Are you refering to the micro switch on the left handle bar, whereby you need to  clutch in/pull the clutch lever before it will start.

Mine is bypass and the clutch switch removed.
B4 Mod: K&N crankcase & air filter;gsxr750 rear shock;grounding wire;gsxr400 blinkers;Super 4 mirrors;fork protector;chain oiler;Hel front brake hose;Kappa windshield;Givi maxia box;fan/ headlight/hazard light switch;Stebel horn

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: I solved my electrical gremlin
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 12:09:01 AM »
Quote from: "Bandit"
Are you refering to the micro switch on the left handle bar, whereby you need to  clutch in/pull the clutch lever before it will start.

Mine is bypass and the clutch switch removed.

Yep, that's the one. If cleaning the contacts didn't fix the problem I was going bridge the wires with solder. Pulling in the clutch when starting the bike is second nature.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 07:11:38 AM »
Mines bypassed too, they're notorious on suzukis over here for failing and causing annoying problems.
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S