Author Topic: 400 air filter  (Read 4913 times)

Offline Fishfried

• TURBO TYPER!
400 air filter
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:58:51 PM »
  Well the gas tank is off and as I wait for the CDI to get fixed I thought I could get some other things taken care of.  I for sure need an air filter, the stock one is falling apart and needs replaced.  I read the thread on jetting and it looks like a lot of folks use K&N pods or a K&N drop in.  I do like the look of the bike with the plastic panels off the bike so you can see the pods and carbs.  I'm more concerned with a good running machine though. 

My mechanic said (with a big smile) now would be a good time to order a Factory Pro jet kit.  If I do get one is it recommended to get new gasket set?  The bike is 20+ years old. 

I know, the bike doesn't run but while it is in the shop I may as well get as much done as I can, anything I should replace, check or clean on this?    Thanks!

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 400 air filter
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »
If the bike really has 6200 miles on it like you said, there's no reason to get a factory pro kit.

Usually with old bikes like this they have a lot of mileage and the needles/emulsion tubes start to wear because of excessive moment of the needle (and fuel).
However after 6200 miles this shouldn't be a problem.

I would just buy a new stock air filter, they are only $20.

You can fit a K&n filter but it will require re-jet, especially pods.