Author Topic: Loading the gears ?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline greatmoorred

• Board Homesteader!
Loading the gears ?
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:31:39 AM »
Took the bike out last week, and noticed that, at times, my gear changes can be fairly "clunky", so i thought i would try loading the lever with my foot prior to changing up a gear. It makes the gear change nice and smooth, and gets rid of any clunk.
My question is. Is it damaging the bike in any way ?

Offline 97af

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Loading the gears ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »
I dont know but I'd say its putting unneccesary load on your shift forks.Once the end on the tips of the shift forks start to wear,thats when mis shifts and worn out dogs on your gears start happening.Your choice,new trans parts or "clunky" shifting. I'd try A few different oil manufactures and lastly,check out your chain and sprockets.A stretched chain and sacked out sprockets are no fun for your trans either.

A good tool lets you forget about the dent it put in your wallet everytime.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
Re: Loading the gears ?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:09:14 AM »
Stretched chain is just that. A chain that is no longer uniform in length from sprocket to sprocket. Parts of the chain have lost integrity through age and/or neglect. When this happens you will get lash from the chain and lag in the whole drive train.
Put the bike on a stand or your centre stand and rotate the back wheel. Check the tension all the way along to make sure it is the same. If the chain is stretched in some areas, it will be apparent. Some areas will appear to be tight and others very sloppy = stretched chain.

Sacked out sprockets are sprockets that have wore out. The teeth are no longer uniform and have lost their original shape and created more space between the teeth. This is hard on your already stretched chain and drive train. This you can see with a visual inspection. Have a look at the teeth on a new sprocket and then look at yours. And check the both sprockets.

Some wear is not the end of the world but once you feel it in the drive train via shifting or acceleration it's time to get new parts. It's best to change the chain and replace the sprockets at the same time. Good chain can be pricey and will last longer with good sprockets and proper care.

G