Author Topic: A few changes to Greggy's old girl.  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
A few changes to Greggy's old girl.
« on: March 29, 2006, 01:11:34 AM »
I changed a few things on the B400 that I got from Greg. What do you all think?

New National Cylce F18 Windscreen.

Red reflective tape on the wheels cafe mirrors and a Yoshimura CF Slip-on

The wife should be real happy with it now.
2006 Honda ST1300

1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 01:53:51 AM »
I'm diggin the tape on the wheels.  Good call  :beers:
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 09:11:14 AM »
Looks good!   :bigok:   I've always liked that screen.  Did you go with the Napolean (give me some of your tots, Napolean!) or Emgo mirrors?  I had the cheaper Emgos.  They had a little too much vibration for me.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 02:28:56 PM »
Katamaniac,
Good looking bike.  Two questions, how much was the pipe and can you post a close up of how the National Cycle screen is mounted to the head lamp.  I have one of those in the mail right now (Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse) and I think I read it just bolts on to existing hardware?
Duane

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Looks good!   :bigok:   I've always liked that screen.  Did you go with the Napolean (give me some of your tots, Napolean!) or Emgo mirrors?  I had the cheaper Emgos.  They had a little too much vibration for me.

I did get the Emgo, which do vibrate a little. I had a set of Napoleans on my 1986 ZX600 back in the day, that I loved.
2006 Honda ST1300

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 05:29:13 PM »
Quote from: "duane"
Katamaniac,
Good looking bike.  Two questions, how much was the pipe and can you post a close up of how the National Cycle screen is mounted to the head lamp.  I have one of those in the mail right now (Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse) and I think I read it just bolts on to existing hardware?
Duane

I got the can off eBay for $100+ shipping.

I will post a picture of how to mount the windscreen. It was very easy to mount. Remove the headlight from the bucket. Remove both bolts that hold the bucket to the ears. Slip the windscreen between the rubber bushings and the ears. Slide the bucket bolts back in and put all the washers and wire ties in place, but leave it loose for now. Then there are two brackets that will bridge between the ears and the windscreen. They are held in by one carriage bolt on each side. The bolts go from the inside sticking out, slip the brackets on, put on the washers and nuts. Leave everything loose until you get the windscreen centered and in the position that you want, then tighten the bucket bolts first. The screen came with new bucket bolts. I used the original ones, since they have a nice chrome finish. They were plenty long enough.
2006 Honda ST1300

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 05:37:04 PM »
Quote from: "Krautwagen"
I'm diggin the tape on the wheels.  Good call  :beers:

You can get the tape here
http://ridesafer.com/page/mfc0/Home.html
2006 Honda ST1300

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 12:08:45 PM »
That tape looks great, but it looks like it's very easy to mess up putting it on the rim. How do you make straight tape go around a round rim without buckling and wrinkling? Also, how do you keep a consistant distance off the edge? Looks like a lot of work.

Better if they sold a round piece that applies directly on, methinks.

Looks great if your can do it neatly, tho. I'd love to have that on my rims, but I don't think I'd like to go through the ritual, as I'd probably screw it up.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 12:33:07 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"

They do, the cheaper ones come in 4 parts. The better ones come in 2 parts.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 02:06:20 PM »
There's a thread over in Products (maybe Gear) about a company that makes curved rim stripes.  I dunno if they make reflecting ones, though.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 03:11:42 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
That tape looks great, but it looks like it's very easy to mess up putting it on the rim. How do you make straight tape go around a round rim without buckling and wrinkling? Also, how do you keep a consistant distance off the edge? Looks like a lot of work.

Looks great if your can do it neatly, tho. I'd love to have that on my rims, but I don't think I'd like to go through the ritual, as I'd probably screw it up.

I took a sharp pencil and held it in place and spun the wheel around to make a perfect cirle on the rim, then butted the outside edge of the tape to it as I went aong. It works best to keep the wheel off the ground and spin it. I made sure I cleaned the wheel real good with paint thinner. Any kind of solvent that won't leave a residue works good. The tape is Vinyl so it stretches and bends. It really isn't hard at all to put on, it took me about 30 minutes to do. I had a couple mistakes, but they were easily fixed. You have to keep even tension on the tape as you go, if you put too much tension the tape will stretch and get thin, too little and it will wrinkle on the inside edge. I don't mind putting time into the bikes to make them more safe and looking better. It's something I enjoy.
2006 Honda ST1300

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 03:21:33 PM »
Quote from: "Katamaniac"
I took a sharp pencil and held it in place and spun the wheel around to make a perfect cirle on the rim, then butted the outside edge of the tape to it as I went aong. It works best to keep the wheel off the ground and spin it. I made sure I cleaned the wheel real good with paint thinner. Any kind of solvent that won't leave a residue works good. The tape is Vinyl so it stretches and bends. It really isn't hard at all to put on, it took me about 30 minutes to do. I had a couple mistakes, but they were easily fixed. You have to keep even tension on the tape as you go, if you put too much tension the tape will stretch and get thin, too little and it will wrinkle on the inside edge. I don't mind putting time into the bikes to make them more safe and looking better. It's something I enjoy.

Thanks for the tips. Looks great!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.