Author Topic: Starting problem??  (Read 3135 times)

Offline k4y_d1

• TURBO TYPER!
Starting problem??
« on: April 10, 2007, 02:14:53 AM »
hello,
yesterday morning my b4 won't start. The engine cranks when i pushed the ignition button, but it won't start.... tried it w/choke, no choke, everything I usually did to make the bike start,  until i felt that my battery was started to go weak, so i stopped...
Later in the afternoon, tried to start again, push the button and it started rightaway without problem....
what happen w/my b4?
sometimes when i go to office in the morning, and in the afternoon tried to start, it's very difficult to make it start...
But then, most of times it's so easy to start it also...
Thanks a lot!

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Starting problem??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 07:19:10 AM »
there are 3 things you need to start:
- spark
- good mixture
- compression

since it normally runs fine the compression is probably fine. so it can be either you don't have a good spark or there is not a good (flammable) mixture.

you can check for mixture by spraying some start help (brake cleaner or other very flammable spray) on the airfilter, but it's not very good for the engine.

start by checking the spark plugs and just download the repairmanual and see what it says at troubleshooting
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline speedwaymaniac

• Board Homesteader!
Starting problem??
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:43:32 AM »
Good advice! Just to check the engine is definitely cranking, as i have had a few situations whereby the starter is spinning like crazy but failing to crank the engine. Which obviously means no compression.

:duh:

Easy way around that pop it in gear and pull the bike back holding in the clutch, let go whilst moving, and this will free up / re-engage the starter.

Otherwise i'd follow Bartjan's advice. hope you get it sorted  :wink:
JJ
'04 GSF 600 Bandit K4
'00 GSF 600 Bandit Y - Used for parts
'95 GSF 400 Bandit - smashed :'(

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Starting problem??
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 12:03:23 PM »
Quote from: "speedwaymaniac"
Good advice! Just to check the engine is definitely cranking, as i have had a few situations whereby the starter is spinning like crazy but failing to crank the engine. Which obviously means no compression.

:duh:

I'm picking on your semantics, but if the starter is spinning like crazy and not cranking the engine, you have a bad starter clutch. A starter spinning like crazy AND cranking the engine over would indicate no compression.
 :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline speedwaymaniac

• Board Homesteader!
Starting problem??
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
Yeah i suppose that's true! It could be a faulty starter, however i think it's more that due to the fact that i've had it sat around for a while. (Keep forgetting to start it  :duh: )

Though i'll bear that in mind for if it keeps occuring in the future!
JJ
'04 GSF 600 Bandit K4
'00 GSF 600 Bandit Y - Used for parts
'95 GSF 400 Bandit - smashed :'(