Author Topic: adjusting ride height for Pilot Powers & 750 GSXR Shock  (Read 2768 times)

Offline suparobb

• Board Regular!
adjusting ride height for Pilot Powers & 750 GSXR Shock
« on: August 27, 2005, 11:07:44 PM »
im plannning on putting a new set of tires on my B4 since i hit the tread life indicator on my rear tire. i also wanted to upgrade the shock to a 90-95 GSXR 750 shock too. to improve handling.

the problem is that i wanna keep the ride height at oem specifications.

i want to put pilot powers in a 110/70 and a 150/60 or even a 160/60 if you think that will give a better ride since you have more of a contact patch.

do you think the gsxr shock will add a 10mm to the ride height to compensate the smaller profile of 150/60 pilot power compared to a 150/70 stock tire size? if not is there a way to compensate the ride height with a smaller profile tire?

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-robert

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 10:13:41 PM »
get some sewing tape measure the circumfrence of the dstock tire on it put the new one on measure circumfrence again add that much ride height!  :beers: Unless your a racer this is just masterbation! but to each his own! run a 150 ride more worry less! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 10:20:48 PM »
What Rob said!!!

The 150/70 rear tire should have a sidewall height of 0.7*150=105mm.  The 150/60 will have a sidewall height of 90mm.  When I put an '01 GSXR shock on my B4 it raised the rear end by about 30 mm.  I think the 150/60 rear tire will be an almost perfect offset for the shock change.  I had to change my dog bones to get the attitude to where I wanted it.  Let us know how it works out.

BTW, if you buy an older GSXR shock, be sure and check the nitrogen pressure, there was a posting recently about how bad the shock is (doesn't work at all as reported) if the pressure is too low.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 11:38:55 PM »
Quote from: "Racerruss-ducati"
What Rob said!!!

I'm Rob - he's Jay.  I'm the hansome one, he's the one who knows what the hell he's talking about.   :stickpoke:

Seriously... I have a Bandit 1200 shock on mine which definitely raised the tail (DAMN I wish I had remembered to take a before measurement.).  I went to a 60-series tire to negate a little of that rise and b/c you have better tire options in that size.  As I've posted here before, I'm thrilled with the results.  I think it handles amazingly.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 12:26:35 AM »
I have the said formerly verklempt GSXR rear shock on my bike: No change in ride height.

I am contemplating Pilot Powers in 160/60 and 110/70 however considering my present tires are pretty poo-poo.

Rob, we'll have to ride when I get back now that the shock is right. Just have to make sure I have whatever damage handled on it before though (even longer story now...)!

-Randy

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 09:16:02 AM »
Randy - you definitely need some new hoops!  IIRC, you have a 150/60 on now.  That 160/60 should raise the tail ~9mm - maybe a little more since you're putting it on a narrow rim.  

I'm always up for a ride - even when my bike isn't!   :sad:   Lemme know (pm me here) when you want to go.  Maybe we could even drag Cdyer out so you can hear that Super Chicken rumble.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 01:40:29 PM »
Sounds fine Rob.

I've bounced around the idea of tire sizes but may settle on the 150/60. Regardless, it'll have to wait for funds, the crash BS and when I get back home from the west coast.

Incidentally, the west coast does have us on twisty roads as opposed to us back home. We're in Napa for a couple of days for a race and the surface roads in the mountains are kind of ridiculous. Talk about knee draggin city!

If California has a saving grace, it was their road engineers were high/drunk when they laid the pavement down (in certain spots, we won't talk about the fwys). The rest of the state can eat my ass.

-Randy