Author Topic: Steering Dampener  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Nacho2059

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Dampener
« on: April 05, 2006, 02:20:19 AM »
I seem to have a problem keeping the bars straight while I am accelerating and sometimes when I get into a little bit of a crosswind.  I plan to ride the bike on the highway a few thousand miles this spring/summer if all goes according to plan but the shaking bars has me wondering if thats going to work.  Would a steering dampener help and also be worth it?  Anyone else using one on a B4 at this point? What brand/model works best?
Mike
1991 Bandit 400
New Spark Plugs and things are on the up and up again.
Shes still for sale however.

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Dampener
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:21:21 AM »
It sounds like you have a problem with the front tire or the stearing stem bearings. I would definately get the problem fixed before I rode the bike anywhere. Check your tire pressure often. A low tire can cause serious handling problems. Putting a stearing dampner on would only mask the problem.
2006 Honda ST1300

1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Dampener
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:37:32 PM »
I'm trying not to hijack your thread or go off topic, but my B4 is dead steady in all situations so it's possible there may be some larger issue with your bike. (front or rear ride height has been changed, bad bearings, etc.  Some tires are "squirrelier" than others)  A steering dampener may just be masking another issue.  One of the things I enjoy about the bandit is how it's relatively steady.

Offline Nacho2059

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Dampener
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 03:25:42 AM »
Ill check the pressure tomorrow hopefully, as soon as its not raining here again and I can ride.  Tires are brand new, less than 500 miles on them and the bike itself just turned 8600, not sure the bearings are neccisarily bad but who knows.  Lets see what the pressure is at and go from there.
Mike
1991 Bandit 400
New Spark Plugs and things are on the up and up again.
Shes still for sale however.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Dampener
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 12:11:17 PM »
Bearings can get loose over time (that's not many miles over the years)....  anyway, if you want to check the head bearings, just get the front wheel off the ground ~ I'd suggest the bike on the center stand and someone (or something) on the back to get the front end in the air.  Then just grab the front wheel and pull it forwards, and then push it back.  If it moves, then there's a bearing issue.  Could be that they're just loose, or maybe bad (which is a different check).

Anyway, something simple to check...  just to get you started down that path if necessary.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400