Author Topic: Any tips on more comfort while riding with a passenger?  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Broken Boards Skateshop

• Board Regular!
  • 91 Bandit 400
Any tips on more comfort while riding with a passenger?
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »
Anyone have any advice when it comes to making the little 400 a bit more comfortable with two people on it?  My Gf slides forward and pushes me into the tank either over time or during harder braking.  Was thinking maybe a different seat with a bit more support if there is such a thing for the little bandit.  Also my arms get a lot more warn out a lot faster  I seem to have to be hunched over more to feel comfortable with the extra weight on the back of the bike so I was thinking lower bars? (I was planning on buying drag bars)
If anyone has any experience with either a different seat or with lower bars and a passenger let me know.
Cheers

Offline diesel

• Board Regular!
Re: Any tips on more comfort while riding with a passenger?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 04:57:01 AM »
I've had my 89 Bandit for just over a week and found the seat very slippery. Had a Bandit Ltd many years ago. That had a textured seat as stock, and I don't recall any slipping problems solo or two-up in the three years I owned it.

I'd look into getting the seats recovered with some more grippy material. Triboseat is a name I've seen mentioned a lot lately which might do the job. No personal experience with it though.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:06:54 PM »
Don't blame the bike because a passenger is crowding you. It takes passengers a couple of rides before they get the hang of it.

The first time I took my girl out she was sliding into me and bumping my helmet. Now she rides like a pro. She anticipates braking and puts her hand on the tank. If she does slide into me during hard or unexpected braking she slides her ass back after... just be upfront and tell her she's crowding you and that she needs to back that ass up.

Last weekend I completely forgot she was with me and wacked the throttle open and nearly gave her whiplash... I shouldn't have mentioned I forgot she was there... I thought it was a complement that she's such a good passenger that I forgot about her.... she didn't feel the same way. :)

I do want to upgrade my rear shock, my girl weighs under 100 lbs and my plate has kissed the rear tire on some pothole action.

Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:53:19 AM »
+1 on the hands on the tank thing.  Works well!

So Mike, even with your girl on the back, you still have less of a load than some of folks by themselves????   :stickpoke:  (IIRC from a thread a year or two ago, you're only like a buck twenty yourself.  LOL!) 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »
I'm ~145lbs. and I had a girl on that was ~105lbs. I bought Airhawks for both my seat and the passenger seat. Never felt her sliding into me, perhaps 'cause I was more conscious about breaking gently with her on. Dunno.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 01:29:35 AM »
So Mike, even with your girl on the back, you still have less of a load than some of folks by themselves????   :stickpoke:  (IIRC from a thread a year or two ago, you're only like a buck twenty yourself.  LOL!) 

Ha ha yup. We're skinny people.... combined we weigh under 220. :)
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 09:06:54 PM »
Ha ha yup. We're skinny people.... combined we weigh under 220. :)
hey, me too! oh.. wait...

OP, a big second on giving her time to get comfortable before you start looking to make mods to suit 2-up riding. It's a skill just like any other.