Author Topic: ahh the joys of a succesfull repair  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
ahh the joys of a succesfull repair
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:01:12 PM »
Finally FINALLY i rode my bike since the Digital Igniter and the R/R were toast. Along the way other things kept intervening, like a new chain and oh, checking some bearings, You'll never end!  :stickpoke:

But, all in all, as i said i drove it now, a little uneasy, lost the feeling a bit, but oh my! My heart was beating a lot faster on the road than it has ever been!!
First of all the bearings and new chain (DID525VM2) should've decreased the mechanical friction a bit and secondly, i lowered the clips one notch... :bigok: Sweet!!

As the famous code-words of Inspector Frank Drebin put it: "I... Love It!"  :banana:  :banana:
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 01:52:24 PM »
Some more dancin' nanners -  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

(Frank Drebin - LOL!!!  Poor Nordberg!)
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:01:49 PM »
i have to say, i learned a lot about my bike within this time, how the stuff works, what is considered "normal" and what not. It's easy to read it on textbooks, but to experience it on your own is quite another matter! Now i only feel reluctant to open the engine block.. Last time i did that i screwed the engine.. Don't worry ! it was only a Kawi :stickpoke:

I don't know how many people have noticed it, but the cushion lever bearings  'seem' like a design weakness. Mine were all stuck, and another cushion lever i bought from flint666, had the same issue, replaced all of them and all is well again. My bike has 48k (in kilometers), don't know how many km's were on the other one.
First seat of the pants feeling, the bumps seem not as bad as it used to be, but still i'm waiting for the B6 shock to arrive any moment now :bigok:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 09:58:58 AM »
You say you replaced the ignitor.  What was it doing, I'm thinking I have a bad ignitor box.  Let me know.
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 10:19:28 AM »
i had compression, but no spark at all. No matter how much i'd push the starter, it would never fire up..
If you like pain :stickpoke:  or are resistant to it , you can try to feel the sparks. i do it, if the spark gives a big jolt then it's good, if it's tingly or nothing =not good. But be sure to turn it more than 2 seconds, sparks are not meant to be conveyed through a human body so give it some time  :wink:

Ah, maybe a safer way to check the box, smell it at the side of the connectors. If it smells chemical burnt, much much worse than the smell inside you Home Computer box, then it's toast too. Mine always started to smoke very strongly when i hooked it up to start the bike up with another battery, so it was 'obvious'

Post is a bit erratic, sorry about that. I hope this helps.

You know for 135USD a Box is quite safe, i assure you, they work as long as the code is exactly the same (10D00 [mine] for example) check it with your own box.
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 10:23:01 AM »
Uh, can't you just pull the plug, put it back in the boot, hold the end against the frame, hit the starter and look for spark?  Much less of this  :shock:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline flint666

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 10:48:38 AM »
yep always use a sparkplug to check for sparks

as your finger is not the right resistance and can cause some funny electrical problems,

getting the bearings out of that cushion lever for farre befor posting it off was fun seems to be a comon fault

Andy

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 11:26:11 AM »
nahh, it's more fun like this! Charges me right up!  :stickpoke:
It's personal preference, because i don't trust me eyes.. i see a spark but seems it's not strong enough, feeling the jolt gives me a better indication.

I got the idea from Secundary school, there used to be a teacher in Electricity class. Guy got angry after hearing many stupid questions and on a certain moment a student asked him which voltage is which wire, he promptly wetted his fingers, touched each wire and said: "This is 24, this is 220 and this is 380Volts!" :shock:  :shock:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock