Author Topic: B4 almost stoned to death.... life spared in the 11th hour!  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Jonboy11

• Board Regular!
B4 almost stoned to death.... life spared in the 11th hour!
« on: October 14, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »
After 3wks of cleaning, replacing, kicking and screaming, the Bandit is purring like a kitten.

Intermitant running, good cold start, no hot start, easy bump start, no starter start, ran perfect for 50mi then wouldnt start at all, cranking, backfiring shotgun style etc... clean carbs, new o rings, new plugs, coils tested, wires tested etc...

Decided lastnight to get up early, say a few words over the bike, throw rocks at it and set it on fire....

Gave it a stay of execution and one last chance at survival this morning, (I have a conscience), pushed it down the drive and bumped it......??????....nothing.

Started gathering good throwing sized rocks and grabbed gas can.... then thought, cdi? No, its always worked, and it just ran 50mi last weekend... couldnt be the cdi. Wait, I have a parts bike, I wonder if the cdi is still mounted under the pilion? Ok, I will check. Huh, ya its a mud dobber nest in there but that does look like a cdi under all that mud... it cant be functioning... but, ok, what the hell I will try it.

Wiped it off, carried it to the end of the drive where the convicted criminal was timidly sitting, head hung low. Plugged in the dirt bag cdi unit, didnt even mount it, just left it hanging. Hit the started button one time, and rump rump rump rump rump like a well oiled motogp bike. let it warm a bit, bump the throttle, ziiiiing, ziiiing, ziiiing, yip, screamed like a Ferrari! Shut it down and restarted it 5 times.... rump rump rump every time!

I cant F'ing believe what a pain in the ass these Bandits can be, nor how gratifying they can also be when sorted out, they are just like children! One more B4 saved for the enjoyment of the masses! No, its not the same as my 06 gix 1000, not even close, but there is a joy in the experience of this little bandito unique to itself, such a cute little lady, adorable!

This bike was my wifes bike, she was killed in a car crash in 2006, the bike has been sitting in storage ever since. I am so glad to have it out and running, its taking this long for me to even be able to look at it... too many memories of the 5'2" little cutie who fit the Bandit like a glove, but now, they are happy memories not painful ones.

Thanks fellas for the help in bringing the Bandit back to life, I think I have read every thread on this board!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:17:41 PM by Jonboy11 »

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: B4 almost stoned to death.... life spared in the 11th hour!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 02:40:07 PM »
Glad to hear you are getting on and finding a smile!
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
Agreed! Good on you for getting it out and mending it. :thumb:
Enjoy!

Bullet5.

Offline AlanDog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:49:23 AM »
So did you have spark with the bad CDI?

I'm just wondering because I'm still DOA with my bike, and wondering if it could be the CDI.

I do get spark on all four cylinders. Could it still be the CDI? Intermittent starting, runs cold but not hot... similar...

Offline Jonboy11

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »
Yes, intermitant spark I guess, if you read my other 2 posts you can see the whole story but it sounds very similar to your situation! If you have anyone near you with a b4 maby you could give another box a try. That's the only way I figured out my problem...