Author Topic: Please help me get my GSF400 Bandit running..  (Read 11761 times)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Please help me get my GSF400 Bandit running..
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
Hey Cameron

If you now have fire on all 4 cylinders, that's a start. But I am concerned about a couple of things:

1. Your comment: 
It doesnt sound very good also.

2. 75 psi on cyl #3.

Why is compression low on #3...Valves? Piston/rings?

You should really make sure you don't have a mechanical problem first.

It still seems like its the carbs causing most of the problem but I dont see how since I've cleaned them over and over and followed some of these threads on how to clean carbs.
You may also have some worn out parts, and poor adjustments. Float heights, worn needle jet/needle, worn slides...there can still be a lot of carb issues with these older Bandits.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to help, I got it running a kittle longer today.. A few minutes, and it seemed to sound better as i let it idle. Im guessing it needed to burn all that gunk out of the engine. I have new floats and springs for the carbs but im not too familiar with adjusting the float height. Theres still seems to be a problem staying running though, like its starved for fuel. I am planning on buying new jets for it and new Rubber plugs for the pilot jets. Should i order them straight from my suzuki shop or is there a place to order online people use? Also what about the rubber plugs? Thanks!

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 11:45:02 PM »
I have new floats and springs for the carbs but im not too familiar with adjusting the float height.

The floats in the B4 are light enough that adjusting them is easy -- remove the float assembly and set it upside down. Float height is measured from the top of the plastic tabs that stick out near the needle valve to the top of the float. stock is 15mm. measure with the float just resting under it's own weight, not compressed at all.

A

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »
Thanks andrew. Ill try adjusting them today. If anyone knows a good place to get new jets plugs let me know! In my free time I like to restore toys and do custom paint at my friends body shop. Here is my Bandit so far, when I first got it, it was disassembled, missing a complete engine and all sorts of stuff but it had a clean title. A day later I was on the road to pick up a complete parts bike with an engine and everything I was missing. In the last couple weeks I've been working on this and I love it. Here is some pictures..

Just after i got her

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 07:00:28 PM »
Ill be ordering the new carb parts soon, so I'll know if its a fix for my problem. Today I've been trying to figure out why my Neutral light doesn't work, the bulb is good. I tried to check that it was hooked up right and it was, maybe its a bad switch? Also, my tach gauge is still not working. I was wondering if any of you have seen this exhaust? I have another exhaust that was on the parts bike that looks similar to everyone else's I've seen. But I was just wondering if anyone had any info on it...Maybe someone could let me know which exhaust to use. Thanks

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 12:12:20 AM »
Everyone.. here is an update of my GSF400

I have tried and tried everything that you all told me to fix/try and I still cannot get this thing running for the life of me!
Any one have any other ideas!? Please PLease HELP!

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
You have two CDI boxes right? Are the numbers on the boxes the same? I'm pretty sure I've read that the CDI has to match the pickup on the motor... but I'm not sure what the effect is of using the incorrect CDI. It probably wouldn't start at all... but it's something worth looking at.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline bdouvill

• Everybody
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 04:42:53 AM »
I believe that (at least for what have been sold in France) 1991 and 1992 models have 10D00 CDIs and 1993 and 1994 (1995 too probably) have 10D60 CDIs. The difference comes from the sparkle lightening timing which is slightly different. As a result, you can not use the wrong type or your Bandit won't start at all.

I know in France a small company that makes a brand new CDI which is able to deal with both models. It comes with a 2-year warranty but it's 289 euros, which is quite expensive compared to what you can get on Ebay from China (I believe the french one is better quality).
Benoit.
Bandit 400 1992, 1st bike.

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 02:03:54 AM »
Well! Switched out the wiring harness, and she runs and sounds great! I guess all the carb work paid off because its seems to be running great. For now they seemed to be synced pretty good. I feel like an idiot for it being such a simple thing making it not run. But as for the cdi, both cdi's work. Thanks for the help everyone! Ill post some pics once all the custom paint is finished.

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »
Hey everyone, ive had it running and it ran pretty good but the other day, i went to start it and it starts up eventually and revs uncontrollable up to redline and doesnt stop rising until i turn the bike off. The bike was running good, cylinder #3 now has the same compression as the rest of them and they all have 135psi-140psi. The carbs are very clean and all set to 1 1/2 from seated. I think that it may be a electrical problem but I am not sure where to start. I put new coil spade connectors on there thinking that it may help but it still starts and revs uncontrollable.. Anyone else deal with a Similar problem like this? Other than that, it is very hard to get started now. Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 04:57:04 PM »
Sounds like your carbs are flooding the motor... things I'd check:

1. That the fuel tap doesn't leak in the "ON" position without vacuum (pretty common problem, check crankcase for gas smell)
2. Good seating of the o-rings inside the carb
3. Float needle wear
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
I also forgot to add that the tach jumps like its misfiring when i got it to idle.

Offline Cameron20

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »
Flooding was my thought at first... But i checked and No gas smell, the new o rings give a nice tight seal. When i cleaned the carbs i also replaced the float needles, so they are new.. Any other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 12:21:32 AM »
stuck throttle cable? Idle adjust turned up too high?