Author Topic: Who rides every day?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Who rides every day?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 02:44:06 PM »
yup, every day rider. 80km's every weekday. Winter is a real pain, i'm having problems always with numb fingers, no matter which gloves i buy.
About the bike on slippery, icy roads i can say i'm surprised it's keeping so well! Compared to the NX250 i used to own, the B4 is much more stable, it won't lose traction the second you go for a curve.

Hmm,.. you ride on icy roads?  What sort of tires are you using?  I did notice that the B4 is amazingly stable on gravel or crappy roads, so it would stand to reason that it would be "OK" on icy roads, but I'm not willing to take that risk.

As for the hands, a set of heated grips  you should be able to get these for around $30, and perhaps for the winter months only, fit a pair of hand guards or similar.  There are also heated "mittens" that you may be able to use.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Who rides every day?
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 12:16:37 AM »
yes, the government only throws salt on the bigger roads, the 2 small roads leading to the highway thus aren't ice-free  :sad: . Also when you're in a surprize-blizzard (of course not as extreme as in New York a few weeks ago), grounds can become quite slippery..
My tires? Front is a Dunlop PilotMax. And rear i put 3 weeks ago a Continental Road Attack i think. All in all the traction should be already way better than last year.

And yeah, i'll have to install heated grips soon, but i can't find them cheaper than 60Euro's. But which are the good brands?
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Who rides every day?
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 02:44:07 AM »
yes, the government only throws salt on the bigger roads, the 2 small roads leading to the highway thus aren't ice-free  :sad: . Also when you're in a surprize-blizzard (of course not as extreme as in New York a few weeks ago), grounds can become quite slippery..
My tires? Front is a Dunlop PilotMax. And rear i put 3 weeks ago a Continental Road Attack i think. All in all the traction should be already way better than last year.

And yeah, i'll have to install heated grips soon, but i can't find them cheaper than 60Euro's. But which are the good brands?

No one here rides unless the roads are dry.  But then ouir winters get pretty nasty.  It boggles my mind to think of people riding on ice and snow.

The grips that I used are made by Kimpex.  They're pretty simple, but I'd recommend using a relay and an inline fuse (3A) with them, and wiring to the battery for power, using the headlight or some other ignition hot only lead for a sense wire.  So, with the $30, add about $10 more for parts and wire.  Man do I love those things.  I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't used them.    Usually when I come home after dark and it's starting to get cold.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline bigbadmad

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Sex, drugs and sausage rolls
    • madtv.me.uk
Who rides every day?
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 07:44:32 AM »
I don't have a car but I do have two bikes so if I go anywhere it's on a bike. I've ridden in frosty days and snowy days; I don't recommend it but I do love it.
1990 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 K5

Offline speedwaymaniac

• Board Homesteader!
Who rides every day?
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 08:10:31 AM »
Yeah riding in the snow isn't so much fun! Can be rather daunting especially when you don't know whats under the snow!

Thankfully living in the UK i don't get much snow to contend with (shame really i love snow) which for riding is a god send!

I've found increasing the tire pressure for the front wheel helps considerably as it helps cut through the snow.
JJ
'04 GSF 600 Bandit K4
'00 GSF 600 Bandit Y - Used for parts
'95 GSF 400 Bandit - smashed :'(