Author Topic: I'm new here!  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Coopz

• Board Homesteader!
I'm new here!
« on: August 08, 2006, 01:49:07 AM »
Hey everybody. I'm new here, I found this forum last wheek whilst searching for some modifications to do to my 1992 GSF400, and loved it. I have read through loads of the stuff and decided to join. I thought I should start by introducing myself and my bike.

My bike is a black 1992 Bandit 400, and has clipons, a top fairing, a bellypan, a beowulf race-can (baffle removed), crash posts (just in case!) and some stickers and transfers. It looks totally unique and I love it. When I got it, it was naked, so I decided to dress it up a bit. I think the fairing and bellypan make it look so much nicer. The race can gives it a nice howl, and the clipons were on it when I got it so I can't compare them to anything, but they do provide a nice position and relatively comfortable riding. And the stickers just make it even more unique, and give it a bit of my own personality. Here are a couple of photos of it.

They are not too good quality as I took them with my phone, but they are the best I have at the moment. The pictures were taken before the crash posts and most of the stickers.

I still have a list of things I want to do to it, a few of which I discovered on this message board. In the near future I want to:

Polish the outside rims of the wheels (will this work on the gold B4 wheels?)
Create a "poor mans ignition advancer"
Buy a gimbel seat cowl (looked for one for ages, finally found a link to the gimbel one on here)
Install a K&N air filter
Install a Scottoiler
Replace all the adonized gold engine casing bolts with nice shiney new silver ones
Get a silver colour carbon fibre effect tax disc holder
Get a carbon fibre effect fuel filler cover
Install a sidelight (the top fairing came with twin headlights, but there is no sidelight)

And a couple of things I would like to do, but don't know if I will ever get round to doing:

Install a fuel gague using the workings and gauge from a B6 or B12
Install a gear indicator
Convert the read end to an R6 or GSXR600 rear end
Get a full front fairing
Install a jackup kit
Get a nice new race can (with burnt stainless steel colours)

My bandit400 is currently off the road due to some engine troubles (It blew up. What? Ot wasn't my fault....) but I have spent the past week frantically trying to get a new engine for it, and managed to pick one up for £200 on ebay, and am getting it delivered from England for £40. So hopefully by Friday I will have my good ol' Bandit back on the road, ready to continue the modifying.

I just passed my test towards the end of May, and find that the bandit is an excellent first "big" bike. My mate on a Triumph Daytona 600 has trouble keeping up with me from 0-100mph if I give it some go, and the bike feels comfortable sitting at 120mph. (But on the roads where I live it's not long before you hav to throttle off for the next corner.) There is quite a lot of wind, as my fairing is more for looks than wind protection, but if I lay low close to the tank, most of the wind is passed over me thanks to the tiny screen on my fairing.

I would really like to wheelie, but as powerwheelies (slamming the throttle open at 9500rpm in first gear and heaving up on the handlebars) seem to be a little too strenious for my engine *cough cough* I would be interested to know if anyone has a good way to do it by slipping the clutch. I have been too afraid to try it, and would be afraid of toppling it by revving it too much.

I have allready learned a lot from this message board, and hope to learn a lot more, and will also gladly impart advice or ideas where I can. You guys have a wicked board here, and I'm glad to now be a part of it.

Anyway, sorry for the enormously huge introduction, but at least you now know who I am, as well as what would appear to be my entire life story.

'Nuff said.
Coopz
-Silencing Lambs Since October 31st 2006

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:12:26 AM »
:welcome:

Great lookin' Bandit!

I never got the front of the B4 up other than over rises in the road.  It can be clutched up, I just never did it.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:51:12 AM »
whats this silver engine casing your talking about?

Offline Coopz

• Board Homesteader!
I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 01:37:29 PM »
Thanks!  :thanks:  :banana:

Not a silver engine casing, just the casing bolts to hold it all on. The ones I have now are an ugly adonized gold colour and they don't suit the bike. I plan on replacing them with nice new silver ones to keep up with the black/silver theme of my bandit.

I do remember seeing new engine casings on a website though, but i think they were for the B6 and B12's. If I come accross it again i'll send ya a link.

I am having real problems getting this engine from the ebay guy though. He is being so unco-operative and is taking ages and making loads of complications. This morning he even had the cheek to say that since this transaction has been such a pain in the a**, he will start charging me for his time if he has to spend any more time messing about, and he will charge me £150 a day! ($300) So hopfully it will all get sorted out and I will get the engine soon, but it's quite complicated just now.
Coopz
-Silencing Lambs Since October 31st 2006

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 01:44:32 PM »
For that price I would go over and visit him and beat his a$$, reminding him while you are doing it that it wasnt your fault it was complicated and that he opted to ship worldwide.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
I'm new here!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 07:41:18 PM »
Wana do wheelies read my sig!
cheers
JAY
Nice bike brother!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol