Author Topic: newb thinking about a b4 with some questions  (Read 6666 times)

Offline Spacey86

• Board Homesteader!
newb thinking about a b4 with some questions
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 04:20:06 PM »
Na you are not going to get stiff ridding a B4 i am 6'1" and well built, can travel nearly all day and still fell ok. Good luck with the B4 rideing
If at first it don't fit .......... Smack it with a hammer(might be the reason my B4 is nackered)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 04:30:40 PM »
as much as im anti sv you'd be better off to buy one if you can afford one they are a great beginner bike and a great track day and race bike for a beginner! and there is tons of aftermarket parts for one! :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 09:37:03 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
as much as im anti sv you'd be better off to buy one if you can afford one they are a great beginner bike and a great track day and race bike for a beginner! and there is tons of aftermarket parts for one! :beers:

I agree. Even though I'm not a SV fan (I'd rather have a Honda Hawk GT650 any day) its easier to get parts for it and should cause you less hassles in the end. Mind you I still think the bandit is more unique and more fun to ride.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 10:06:11 PM »
Funny.... I am an SV fan but I love the idea of having something really different like th B4.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Phat Ham

• New user!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Funny.... I am an SV fan but I love the idea of having something really different like th B4.

That's the thing.  From all accounts I've read the sv would be a great bike for me.  Initial purchase cost is more than a b4 but they are newer, easier to find, more parts, etc.  But something about the b4 just draws me to it.  Like it has more character or something.  Not that I've ever ridden either (or any "real" bike for that matter.)

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 12:02:08 AM »
The B4 definatly has more character than the SV, in my opinion. It's a prettier bike, and there is just something about an inline four screaming at 10,000RPM.  :grin:

That said, both are good bikes and I can see the draw of the SV. It's not a BAD bike at all, the V-twin is a nice motor with a very distinct sound and the aftermarket on the bike is a lot larger. From all reports it's a nice riding bike as well. The real problem I have with it is that just about -everyone- has an SV.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 12:12:28 AM »
Funny how it goes sometimes... the US moto press loved the B4 when it came out, but the (US) public didn't buy a lot of them. Likewise with the CB1 & Hawk GT. TheSV must have stuck a chord with the people though, since it is well loved by the press & public.

Go figure.  :roll:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 06:36:50 AM »
I find my knees hurt like hell after an hour in the saddle on the SV, i dont remember that happening on the bandit, i must puzzle a lot of car drivers as i drive down the road with my legs splayed out trying to get the blood flowing again.
This may be more down to my fitness levels/ old knee injuries than the ergonomics of the bike.
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline mtbcrazy

• TURBO TYPER!
    • My 1992 Bandit
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 09:45:22 AM »
Hey Phat Ham!

I got my Bandit earlier this year, and spent over $2,000 US fixing it (and it isn't done yet).  
I haven't ridden an SV, and have been off motorcycles for 10 years, but riding the Bandit is a BLAST and easy as pie.  It sits SO low that you have a fantastic-ly low center of gravity.

BUT, I'm used to riding a bicycle (road or mountain) and the center of gravity is way high on them, and my last motorcycle was a Moto Guzzi LeMans (Big and heavy) http://www.ronamber.com/guzzi.asp.

AND, the SV doesn't have that Ducati look to it.  So, although the bike cost over $3,000 to get on the road, I think it is worth it. (so far!)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 11:09:09 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Funny how it goes sometimes... the US moto press loved the B4 when it came out, but the (US) public didn't buy a lot of them. Likewise with the CB1 & Hawk GT. TheSV must have stuck a chord with the people though, since it is well loved by the press & public.

Go figure.  :roll:

The B4, CB1, and Hawk GT all became cult classics after they stopped being imported. There's Hawk at a motorcycle shop near me and they're asking $7,000 cdn for it!!!  I think a big part of why they didn't sell was cost. I think the SV's popularity is due to its price point. Its in the most bang for your buck class.

If you're looking for a newer bike that's similar to the B4, take a look at the honda 599. Other then it's archaic frame it's a pretty nice bike.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Phat Ham

• New user!
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2005, 12:18:41 PM »
What do you guys think:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mcy/82275075.html

How much am I looking at to get the tank and feed lines fixed/replaced?

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2005, 12:37:03 PM »
May be worth a look at that price.
  The 400 world is kind of small, and we have a handful of 400 users, somebody may 'know' the bike.

There's no mention of miles....

For the price, if it runs, it may be worth it.   If the gas tank is too far gone to fix, it may be a hassle finding another one...and won't be cheap.

If you like tinkering on stuff, the 400 would fit the bill.   I'd hate to see you buy one expecting to get a trouble free daily rider.   The parts hunt can be frustrating....and working on them likewise.

For less hassle...the SV would work, as well as a used Bandit 600, which may be a better all around bargain.  The B6 probably has a lot less character than the other two bikes, but would be great as a first bike.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2005, 01:05:01 PM »
Quote from: "Phat Ham"
What do you guys think:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mcy/82275075.html

How much am I looking at to get the tank and feed lines fixed/replaced?

The price sounds good. It depends on where the tank is leaking and if the bike runs and shifts. If the tank's just leaking from the fuel tap it could be as simple as replacing a gasket. If the tank has rusted through you may have to source another tank. Fuel lines are cheap. I can't see lines costing you more then $10. You can pickup standard 5/8" fuel lines at most automotive stores and you won't need more then 24".

With any bike purchase check the brakes, tires, etc... fyi the front rotor is an expensive part.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Phat Ham

• New user!
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2005, 01:21:10 PM »
Let's take the worst case scenario and say the tank needs to be replaced.  How hard is it to find one, and how much should I expect to spend?

I don't mind tinkering around on stuff; I rather enjoy it.  I don't really need this bike to be a reliable daily driver since I have a car for that.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2005, 02:39:58 PM »
Quote from: "Phat Ham"
Let's take the worst case scenario and say the tank needs to be replaced.  How hard is it to find one, and how much should I expect to spend?

They pop up on ebay once every couple of months. If you don't mind painting this one sounds alright:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10534&item=7984716844&rd=1
Mike

'91 GSF400