Author Topic: Bad day for me and Suki...  (Read 8363 times)

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bad day for me and Suki...
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:02:38 PM »
Gol-dang melon-farming cagers!

Man, I'm hurting right now...

This past Friday night, I decided to take Suki out for a short, leisurely ride around the Blowhole/Sandy's area, since I was feeling a little cloistered at home and wanted to feel the cool night air.  It was a clear night, and I was happy keeping an easy pace down Kalanianaole Highway, with the moon at my back.

Returning home, I came down the Hawaii Kai Drive Saddle Road towards Lunalilo Home Road, turned left onto Lunalilo, into the left-hand lane, and got about maybe a quarter mile down the road.

This is where my memory stops.

I faintly recall feeling very peaceful, calm, and seeing a still image of a silver Civic or Corolla, parked on the side of some street, in broad daylight.  I can sort of remember thinking "I must be having a dream", while feeling very serene.  Serenity.  What a nice word.

Then my memory starts up again.  Choppy.  Just bits and pieces.

Flashing lights.

Someone asking me through a wall: "Are you all right?  Can you hear me?"

Streetlamp shining in my face.

Silver Civic/Corolla, in the street, big dent in the driver's door.

Dizzy.

Police officer: "Do you know what happened?"

Police officer: "That car tried to make a U-turn from the far right lane, cut across your path right in front of you."

Silver Civic/Corolla again, this time parked across the street.

EMT: "What's your mom's number?"

Suki, lying on her side, leaking.

Can't move real well.  Dizzy, no major pain.  Am I in shock?

See my mom on the sidewalk.

EMT: "Do you think you need a ride to Emergency?"  I refused.

EMT: "Are you sure?"

Police officer: "If you need the police report for your insurance, here is the number." Hands me a card with the report number, his name, type of MVA.

Silver Civic/Corolla is gone.

No more flashing lights.

Suki has been moved to the side of the road.  My mom asks me what am I going to do.

I call two of my friends, and they load Suki into his truck and take her home, about 3/4 mile away.  Thank God for friends.

Thank God for my mom.

Thank God for the police and EMTs.

It was about 3 AM by the time I got home.  I remember feeling sporadic dizziness, a little light-headed, and a feeling like I was coming down with the flu.  At the time, I was aware of only two main places my body hurt, my right buttock, which is probably where I landed, and my pubic bone:

Ummmm, ouch.

I knew the next day was going to be rough, even with the Tylenol.

I woke up after sleeping about 4 hours.  I was sore and a little dizzy.  I discovered how sore I was when I tried to get off the couch.  The buttock and suprapubic pain was still there (though I did have the benefit of ice packs while sleeping), but apparently I had hyperextended myself when I took my impromptu Superman lesson off the bike.  Turning my head was murder on my neck. Lifting my head was nearly out of the question.  My arms were okay; my back was not so okay, as I was experiencing some lower, lower-mid and shoulder pain.  My legs were probably the worst.  I could not lift them off the couch without extreme discomfort; I had to lift them off the couch with my hands and ease my feet onto the floor.  After talking with HPD, my insurance company, and my friends, I decided to go to the Kahala Urgent Care clinic later that day.  Since I am currently without medical insurance (perfect timing:really: ), I fear my only recourse is to try getting reimbursed by the other party's insurance company. 

When I went to the clinic, the RN who pre-examined me told me she had coincidentally passed by the accident scene last night on Lunalilo Home Road and was wondering if I was involved after I described what happened.  She said there were a fire truck, an ambulance, police cars, and nearly the whole road was blocked off.  Sheesh, I didn't notice any of this.  She said she saw the driver of the car (young kid), as well as the huge dent in the driver's door, but not my motorcycle or me. 

They ran a number of mobility/neurological field tests on me, and determined that it was unlikely that I had sustained any life-threatening damage, but the doctor was concerned about my amnesia.  He made a reservation at Queen's Imaging Unit for a CT scan that afternoon.

Here's why I was a little dizzy and a lot forgetful:

Direct impact, lower back of the head.  In fact, if I hadn't been wearing my helmet, the injury would have been higher up, and would have resulted in a fracture.  Doesn't look like much, but it takes a lot of force to do this to a helmet over this kind of area.  This helmet is now compromised.  Thank God that I had enough common sense to wear it that night.

The CT scan didn't show any imminently dangerous condition, so the doctor at the clinic told the Imaging folks that it was okay to let me go home.  The Tylenol had long worn off by then, and I was staggering like a zombie in a George Romero flick.  I went home, medicated myself (not a good thing), and drifted into a broken sleep until 8:30 this morning.

This morning I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.  My legs only hurt when I try to move them; when they're static, they're okay.  Should I stay in bed all day lol?  Back is feeling very stiff.  Shoulders, chest, sore.  Neck is stiff and sore, no sudden head movements PLEASE!  The doc did diagnose me with a moderate case of whiplash, not enough to warrant a cervical collar.  Right hand ring finger is swollen.  And I'm still a little dizzy, a little peaked.

Guess what?  Aside from a minor abrasion on my left shin (from my jeans most likely), I have no external injuries, at least none that I've found.  Usually when a rider is ejected from his bike, that's a recipe for very bad things.  I don't think anything is broken (although it feels like my whole body is broken).  I seriously believe the Big Guy upstairs was looking out for me, because I shouldn't be here typing this.  However, I believe there are better ways of reaffirming one's faith, and this is not a method I recommend, not that I could have prevented the accident (aside from staying home).

Right now, I'm very tired.  I know my body is using as much energy as possible in trying to repair itself.  As I hobble around the house in a semi-daze, I'm still well aware that I fared way better than Suki did:

Bent fork legs:

Headlight and front fender:

Handlebars:

Cracked engine cover:

Look Ma, no footpegs!

She's totaled.  Her KBB value in excellent condition would be $1600.  Since she was not in excellent condition, but her mileage was "low" (17,000) miles, maybe this is the most I could hope to get from the other party's insurance company.

I do have the parts necessary to get her roadworthy again (except the exhaust, which is a ridiculous $800 from the dealer), but I do not know if her frame is tweaked.  I have a GSXR-750 inverted fork, the uber-exotic GSXR-400 braced alloy swingarm with hugger (yes, Jay, I know...), a fuel tank, extra plastic bodywork, a Fox rear shock with remote reservoir, etc. etc.  Feeling a bit depressed though.  Like a part of my life has been taken away from me.  Don't know about fixing up Suki...

If anyone has any advice at all from a legal, insurance, or motorcycle perspective, I'd be grateful for any advice you could give me, even if I am in a different state.

At any rate, I'm gonna take it easy for a few days.  I'll be getting my hands on the police report tomorrow, and seeing where I go from there.  My back is starting to act up.  Maybe a trip to the chiropractor is in order.

Always wear your gear! :taz:
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Bad day for me and Suki...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:17:29 PM »
Christ, dude.  That sucks!  Sounds like you had quite a ride! 

I do think she's totaled.  In that shot of the forks, the head tube and frame look fooked. 

Glad you're around to tell us about it.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:32:40 PM »
Shit, I do believe you're right... :crybaby:
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:15:04 PM »
RE That dent in the tank:  Never do *banned* before riding!

So Big Brother changed the *brand name* for the E.D. drug that I used in my original post?  Geez, can we take political correctness too far?  It's a product frequently advertised on TV, and it shows a middle-aged couple going for a motorcycle ride. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 10:26:10 PM by Sven »
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 07:30:28 AM »
  Too many crashes lately! 2nd 1 on this board and a truck merged into a guy from the SV site. Sorry to hear about your ordeal,hope you heal quickly,and get reembersed for a new ride.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »
Holy crap! Glad to hear you are alright tho! Thats really the important thing!  :beers:

This is really one of my greatest fears....is the "I dont know what hit me" accident. Just riding along and WHAM! Wake up a few minutes later on the ground.  :roll:

Either way, the dumbass in the car should be shot...or at least SUED (you live in the US...so sueing is the way to go!). Get your medical bills paid, get a new bike and a few thousand $$$ for "damages". That should make you feel better ;)
1991 Bandit 400

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:19:34 PM »
Get better man. You can replace bikes but you can't replace people.

Maybe get the frame and whatever else from the guy and just do a swap?

-Randy

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:33:41 PM »
You HAVE called your lawyer, right? If you're gonna be laying around in pain, lay around near the phone and make the right calls.

You did get x-rayed, I take it (it wasn't obvious in your post). CT scan is a good idea. Frankly, you shoulda headed straight for the hospital from that scene, IMHO. Any witnesses? You're gonna need to make a good case against this guy in order to pay your medicals and get a new bike.

Hope you're getting better.

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 03:41:06 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, folks. :thanks:

Vid, I do not have a personal injury attorney, but I have an attorney friend in the prosecutor's office who is trying to set me up with one right now.  I also do not have medical insurance, but the urgent care clinic I went to ascertained I have no fractures.  I will be speaking to the physician today regarding my CT scan results as well as my other injuries, but I have to see the police report (I'll be driven to the station today for a copy, since they need to see me in person) in order to get the other party's insurance info so I can file a claim for damages/pain/suffering.  The legal route will be a last resort, but I will pursue it if and when necessary.

Sven, I have an ice-pack on my left groin right now.  Go me.

Cheers,

Craig 

ippo

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:59:34 PM »
We have compulsory insurance in Finland.
The insurance compensate all damages for people and material.
If you have not bonus payment can be 2000€/year.Max bonus is 70%.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 04:58:55 PM »
Damn dude.... glad you live to type the story. This stuff reminds me, and my Bandit, how lucky I am. Me and my B4 went down numerous times, and at high speeds too, almost crashed into a Mercedes ML 320 at 80 mph once. In fact I went down with 60 mph in a sharp corner 10 days ago... I got up with a bruised ass and rode my bike home. I once went down when entering the freeway because of a diesel trail, about 60 mph, I slid over both lanes and when I landed in the middle rail... one second later a big ass truck went by, that was scary!

Hope you get well soon and the bike too of course.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
may it rise like a phoenix. Glad your ok mate. Scarry shit :shock:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »
Wow 92mx83, I'm glad you're OK.

Try to keep a log of everything, ie: start writing things down, including how you feel, what hurts, medicine's you need to take, days off work, mileage running around, etc. A small book would work the best.

You need this kind of data to support your claim. Even though you don't have medical insurance, you need to make sure you get checked out. All of this is claimed back from the other insurance company, but I understand, it may impact your cash flow in the short term, but you need to make sure you have all your injuries documented, and a record of what tests, etc. were done.

Look after yourself first...I know it is normal to think about the bike, but it can and will get replaced in due course.

Hope you get well fast, and that there is no long term damage to your noggin (head).
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 07:52:25 PM »
Holy Shiznit Craig!!!  :eek2:

Glad to hear you are all right for the most part. Get well soon and back on two wheels.  :motorsmile:
Bob
Redding, Ca.

2007 Bandit 1250S Non-ABS Black
2005 Bandit 1200S Yosh RS-3 Slipon (Wrecked!)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »
I find your story more gripping after some time to digest it all.  I am especially moved by the way your sense of time and events are spotty...the way your Mom just sort of appears, and how you didn't realize that traffic was backed up all around you.  I am also a little concerned about your repeated use of words like "dizzy" and "lightheaded".  I hope your CT comes out OK, but give us an update when you get the results.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car