Author Topic: Bad voltage regulator??  (Read 9201 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bad voltage regulator??
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:42:23 AM »
I replaced my battery near the end of last season. The battery has been great up until today. I went to start the bike and just got a slow crank. With the volt meter the voltage reads okay without cranking. But I get insane voltage drop with cranking the starter motor.

I had the same problem last year. I even took the starter apart and cleaned it (not fun to put back together either...) because I didn't figure the battery would have gone bad (and the voltage read okay). Still only a slow crank. I jumped the bike and it fired right up, so I replaced the battery and life was good.

Now either yuasa sealed batteries are complete crap and don't last more then 2 months (which I don't think is true), or I have a problem with my charging system.

I'm guessing that my voltage regulator is kaput and keeps overcharging the battery... causing premature battery failure. I'd just like another opinion before I fork over the cash for the regulator and/or destroy another battery.

Anyone have a known good regulator they want to part with?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 01:05:00 AM »
How about Testing your charging system first?  Shotgun repair is expensive and doesn't always fix the problem....  pages 6-3 and 6-4 of the manual.  You can find a DL link in the 'members; section of these forums.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 05:29:59 AM »
well, your symptoms are identical to mine.. Bought a new battery, and after some months you gradually see less and less cranking power being available to you when firing her up.

You don't have problems yet of destroying your light bulbs when you rev the bike a little when it's cold?
The really strange thing is that the Voltage readings seem within spec. My guess is the r/r is rectifying but regulation... i think too many amps are going through didn't check for that  :duh:  should be 2Amp max
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:26:00 AM »
Quote from: BrianM
How about Testing your charging system first?  Shotgun repair is expensive and doesn't always fix the problem....  pages 6-3 and 6-4 of the manual.  You can find a DL link in the 'members; section of these forums.

I'm going to test the generator and regulator on the weekend (although in the manual it says the readings will differ if you use an ohm meter other then the "suzuki pocket tester" so testing the regulator may be pointless). I was just hoping that someone with a similar experience could help point me in the right dirrection.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:30:15 PM »
The bike should be putting out between 13.8 to 14.5 volts with the bike at 5000 rpm. Any thing more or less and you have a problem. Anything less and it could be the stator or regulator, anything more and it's normally the regulator

Hope this helps

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:41:37 PM »
http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_fault_finding.html

Start with this.  It will help you determine what the source of the problem is.  I've used it -way- too many times to count, and it's always pinpointed the correct problem.  I like it better than the one in the service manual.

The battery didn't freeze or go dead this winter, did it?  (Something a bunch of our southern friends wouldn't necessarily consider)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 12:13:59 AM »
The flow chart is amazing. Everything is pointing to the regulator now. I'm going to poke around a bit more on saturday morning and confirm my thoughts.

I bought a new battery today, hopefully I'll be able to find a regulator at the bike yard. A used regulator probably isn't the best idea. My pops says be a man and buy a new one (and he's usually right). But suzuki parts take too long to arrive and are pricey. I don't have the time or money to waste right now.

I learned not to let batteries freeze flat a long time ago (I'm Canadian, eh)... The battery and the bike lived inside all winter, the battery got a charge at least every 30 days. I'm always nice to the bike, its just not always nice to me.

:sad:
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 01:25:46 AM »
The flow chart is amazing. Everything is pointing to the regulator now.

That flow chart saved my buns a couple of times.  That's why I take every opportunity to mention it. :)

hopefully I'll be able to find a regulator at the bike yard. A used regulator probably isn't the best idea. My pops says be a man and buy a new one (and he's usually right). But suzuki parts take too long to arrive and are pricey. I don't have the time or money to waste right now.

Here, the wreckers usually charge half of list, same there?  OK,.. list for your RR is $295.  List for a GS500's RR is like $150.  If you can find a GS500 rectifier, it's likely not a bad expenditure.  If you can't, go to your local HONDA dealer, and get the RR for the CB400.  It cost me $145, and about 20 mins of changing the one connector.  Brand new part for used price.

I have a spare RR now, but I'm not -quite- ready to part with it.  My regulator failure is still too fresh in my mind.  

I learned not to let batteries freeze flat a long time ago (I'm Canadian, eh)... The battery and the bike lived inside all winter, the battery got a charge at least every 30 days. I'm always nice to the bike, its just not always nice to me.

:sad:

LOL!  I get bit every once in a while,.. just to remind me.  The bike lived inside?  spoiled bike. :)  I think bikes periodically need to let you know who's boss.  You don't really think it's you, do you?  :stickpoke:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 06:35:25 PM »
My hunch was right. It was the regulator. It was pumping out 16 volts at 5000 rpm (and the higher you reved it the higher the voltage would go... yikes).

I bought a GS500 regulator it pumps out closer 13 volts at 5000 rpm.

Back on the road again.  
 :motorsmile:
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 09:16:38 PM »
My hunch was right. It was the regulator. It was pumping out 16 volts at 5000 rpm (and the higher you reved it the higher the voltage would go... yikes).

I bought a GS500 regulator it pumps out closer 13 volts at 5000 rpm.

Back on the road again.  
 :motorsmile:

Yay!! Congrats  :grin:

btw, the regulator does read higher as you rev higher, but the old one started too high at 5000rpm to start with.

Did you find a new gs500 rr, or a used one?
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 10:03:13 PM »
Quote from: stormi
Did you find a new gs500 rr, or a used one?

The breakers had one so I cheaped out and bought used. It still cost me $100 but I didn't want to wait weeks for a new suzuki part. I'll just periodically check the charging system to make sure its okay.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 10:23:43 PM »
Quote from: interfuse
I'll just periodically check the charging system to make sure its okay.

You could do it continously...

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14124&Category_Code=Electronics

I've had a couple, and it's a nice little unit (especially for $20 US) to keep track of charging.  Saved my butt a couple of times (VFR's, known for reg/rec failures)...  the clock, backlit displat and temp features are good additions too.  I'm planning on ordering another for the B4, just as sson as I knock out the important stuff..  like tires and brakes.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 11:08:06 PM »
Nice little gauge, something to check for is make sure the reg/rec has a good ground. It's not a bad idea to run a wire from the ground post of the battery to the mounting screw. Most failures can be trace back to a bad ground. This has been a Suzuki problem since the begining of time.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 11:25:56 PM »

You could do it continously...

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14124&Category_Code=Electronics

oooh! I likey!! I've been looking for something like that, but wasn't willing to pay dealer prices.

Thanks!
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 11:47:01 PM »
BrianM the price is right on the electrical gadget. Once I recover from blowing my bike budget on batteries and RR's I'll pick one up.

Thief400 good plan on connecting the RR to the ground. I'll run a wire next weekend. I'll do just about anything to avoid blowing another RR and more batteries. No fun.
Mike

'91 GSF400