Author Topic: Tank Sealers  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Tank Sealers
« on: November 18, 2005, 10:16:49 PM »
I've been having problems with pinhole leaks in my tank, and I've been wondering what's the best approach to treating it while waiting to find a replacement tank. So far I've only been patching the holes from the outside, but new holes keep popping up.

I was originally going to try Kreem, but someone told me that doesn't help if you already have pinhole leak problems. Not sure about this, however. Any thoughts?

I've also run accross a cycle tank sealant kit at Eastwood Automotive and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this stuff. The link is here:

http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=383&keyword=10166z

Does anyone know if this stuff would really be any different than Kreem? Looks like basically the same stuff to me.

Thanks for any input on this.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Tank Sealers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »
My tank is rusty (no holes yet, thankfully).  My friend, who is an HD wrench, said they take their tanks to a "radiator guy."  This guy does a sort of Kreem-type sealant.  Pretty cheaply too.  He gave me the name of the local guy but you may want to search the yellow pages for radiators or something similar to see if maybe they have a solution for you.  Worth a shot.

Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Tank Sealers
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 12:22:01 AM »
That must be why HD's are always leaking all over the place! Sorry couldn't resist.

:beers:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Tank Sealers
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 08:19:24 AM »
I just set 'em up.  You guys knock 'em down!   :lol:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Tank Sealers
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 09:40:58 AM »
Seriously though. If the rad guy doesn't work out I'd give Por15 a try. I've never tried the tank sealer, but it claims to be able to stop pinhole / seam leaks.

http://www.por15.co.nz/Data%20Sheets/cycle_tank_repair_kit.htm

http://www.por15.com/

Personally, I Kreemed my tank probably about 3 years and stopped the rust before it started.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Tank Sealers
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 06:33:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into radiator shops and Por. There was an unfortunate mishap at the shop where they accidently dropped my tank, so it got a bit scratched and dented. It's not horrible, but it's yet another reason to try and find another tank.