Author Topic: tick over problems  (Read 2377 times)

Offline mactat2

• TURBO TYPER!
tick over problems
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
Hi all,need to pick your collective brains :grin: the bike seems to start ok with no choke just a little throttle then idle fine at around 1750rpm, but as soon as it gets warm it idles for a few seconds then cuts out. Personally if i were riding it all the time i'd just keep blipping the throttle when i come to a junction etc. but as its the missus's bike and shes not long been passed her test it needs to be right.
   The mixture screws at the mo are 1.5 turns out, runs perfect through the rev range just the tick over thats playing up. Theres also quite a strong smell of fuel, though no obvious signs of any leaks from the carbs or fuel system. All suggestions of what to check much appreciated :thumb:

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Re: tick over problems
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »
If it starts easily without choke when cold it is probably running too rich when warm.  The mixture screws are pretty far in so I would suspect float levels and or float needle valves leaking.  Not enough for gas to overflow but enough to make it run too rich.  The smell of fuel could indicate that as well.

Offline banditv

• Board Homesteader!
Re: tick over problems
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »
in the middle of cleaning the carbs and replacing diaphrams on my 250, and the idle mixture screws were 2 1/8 turns out from lightly seated. would say that 1 1/2 turns are a touch on the lean side.
try taking them out 1/2 a turn