Author Topic: Who was it that could custom build frame sliders?  (Read 2997 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Who was it that could custom build frame sliders?
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:37:37 AM »
Main reason I asked is that I think I may have found a possible "ideal" location for them.

If you look at the front of the motor, there are two mounting holes that aren't used that have a freeze plug closing them. I'm pretty certain that they would be more ideal since they're much closer to the case sides than the upper motor mount bracket.

Just eyeballing my bike I can tell that even with fixed pegs and sliders, you'll still contact at least the bottom of the ever-closer-to-unobtainium covers. Now I know that the mounts are integral to the motor and can possbly break, but if correctly reinforced could provide some chance.

The RH side would have to be at least 7-8 inches and the LH side would need to be at least 6 inches to protrude far enough to be any good.

Thoughts anyone? I know it's a much, much cheaper option than the BikeJohnny covers and certainly offers more protection than none. After my shunt at low speed puncturing my LH cover, I've been trying exploring other options and found none.

-Randy

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 01:48:26 AM »
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
In my opinion, putting sliders in those unused mounting holes would not be a good idea. 6 to 8 inches is a pretty long lever if you consider how thin the cases are around those unused mounting holes. I think if you applied any force to them, you would just break off the mount points, maybe doing more damage than if you had nothing there.
Of course, you COULD use those mounting points, along with some other unused holes on the sides of the cases to mount a set of crash bars...

BTW, anyone have any idea what those big mounting holes on the front of the engine are there for anyway?
Steve
1991 B4

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 05:37:31 PM »
Steve,

I'd consider a crash bar but I think it would touch down in some more agressive corners. As great as the idea is, I don't need it to crash me! Where exactly did you find it besides?

Those lugs are substantial enough to look like a forward motor mount for the engine. I'll explore the idea anyway as a guy on e-bay that Jay gets his sliders from expressed some interest in possibly making them. I think if you bridge between the two mounts with some metal, you might give it enough strength to work.

An idea anyway...

-Randy

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 11:14:10 PM »
Well, no mas on the eBay guy. Doesn't really seem interested in cutting some "experimental" bits.

I did take the time to make some rudimentary measurements and also come up with a simple drawing in MSPaint. The only thing lacking are the bolt sizes and bore (internal) of the sliders.

It's actually quite simple, I wish I had a lathe to chuck it up on to see how feasible it would be.

-Randy

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 11:35:31 PM »
now why is it you dont mount them to the front of the frame?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 11:36:01 PM »
thats were mine are mounted
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:46:05 PM »
Wouldn't they still hit the cases with the normal folding pegs with the sliders there?