Author Topic: New exhaust pipe ?  (Read 3171 times)

Offline halamadrid

• Board Regular!
New exhaust pipe ?
« on: June 12, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
Can anyone tell me what they see wrong with my exhaust pipe? Is it missing 1 bolt or 4?  It also has a big dent in the side of it and I also wonder if someone has altered the inside of it. I am not sure how to know these things for certain.

This is a bandit 400 1991.  If this pipe is worth replacing...How does that work? DO I have the option of replacing just the header or the whole thing? Whats the cost of replacing these things? thanks
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:47:39 PM by halamadrid »

Offline halamadrid

• Board Regular!
Re: New exhaust pipe ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »
these are the pictures

Offline Rejektid

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »
You are missing 4 bolts, I'm basing this on looking at the exhaust on my 1991 bandit 400. As for replacing I don't know, I would imagine there are lots of aftermarket options. But you may want to look in the parts for sale section of the forums, someone may be selling one.

Offline skeithp

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 10:33:20 AM »
The stock exhaust is a complete, one piece system, header pipes to tailpipe.  The cheapest I have found it is over $600.00!!!  Do what I did, and replace it with a polished Stainless Steel system from BanditMania.com.  Even with the pricey shipping from Britain to the USA, it still cost about $100.00 less than the stock system!  Looks MUCH better, and sounds even better than that.  I'll see if I can get a picture of it posted on here....
Scott K. Pearce Sr - Tipton, Pennsylvania, USA

1981 Honda CB900 Custom (Candy Muse Red)
1992 Suzuki Bandit 400 (Red)

Offline Guido_Brasletti

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Bandit 400 limited
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:15:33 AM »
You are missing 4 bolts, but only one of them is important, the other 3 are just cosmetic. If you remove the two bolts and take the end off you will see that the two bolts you have on are long and screw on the main part of the end can. All you need to do is find one identical bolt. The other 3 bolts you are missing are some short bolts that do not hold anything and are there to just look nice.

And yes, you can change just the end can. The exhaust will be cut just before the can and the new one will be bolted on. Be carefull when cutting the exhaust as the main stand stop is part of the exhaust, you may have to make a new stop for the centre stand.

The are plenty of cans in the market, but since (I resume from you nickname) you are in Spain you can look at IXIL (http://www.ixil.com/). They make two types of cans for the 400. I am wearing one of those and am pleased. Good and cheap cans are also the fuel exhaust cans from the UK (http://www.fuelexhausts.com/Results.cfm?scndctgry_ID=37)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:22:05 AM by Guido_Brasletti »

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
The bolts are M6, short for the cosmetic, long for the ones that do work.  I put my B4 back to a stock exhaust I got on eBay for $75.00 US.  I have the non-stock header and a Yamaha can that was on it on my patio for cheap if anyone's interested.  In San Diego, CA, US.