Author Topic: Make shift gas tank  (Read 2772 times)

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
Make shift gas tank
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »
What effect could installing a gravity fed basic style gas tank with an inline filter and a cut off have on the fuel delivery system.  The bike has always had an alternate fuel tank as the factory one was irrepairable.  My bike has never started correct, and has always hesitated at low rpm low speed.  Starting gets harder as the temps get colder.  Some times in the summer it will fire up before you can take your finger off the start button, and now in the winter, practically draining the new battery to get it to stumble.  When riding passed 30mph it flys pretty good and goes right to redline no prob when warmed up.  Its just the initial starting of the bike and initial take off from standstill that sucks.  I've replaced the o rings with viton ones, cleaned the jets with small pieces of wire, cleaned the bowls, set the floats at 14mm, replaced the needle valves.  All plugs are in the pilot ports.  Don't know what to do next but to question the gas tank i guess.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Make shift gas tank
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »
Have you tried different choke settings 1/4, 1/2, full? Are you sure your choke cable is actually working?

Have to tried running it without the fuel filter? Sometimes not enough gas will get through it.

The low end hesitation could also be caused by worn needle jets. Here's a photo of a bad one:

Notice the oblong wear.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.