Author Topic: Bandit... NOT sold!  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Bandit... NOT sold!
« on: July 16, 2005, 01:07:53 PM »
Well, talk about an interesting day!

I woke up this morning early to try and see if I can't richen my mixture a wee bit more and get rid of my top-end stumble. After an hour at 75mph I can tell you that I had no luck, she's still starving for fuel above 9000RPM  :sad:

Today I had to run the bike to Orlando to have it checked out by a mechanic for this kid who wanted to buy it. The mechanic is the same guy who did the previous work on my bike, so I trust him. Anyway, I got there early with a big old grin on my face, and he came out and started checking it over. He was most impressed with the throttle response off idle with the new carbs, and after a few minutes finally turned to me and said, "You can't sell this bike, it doesn't leak, there are no rattles, we can make it haul ass"

So I'm not. In fact, I left it in Orlando at his shop. He can't get to it until the middle of next month, probally, but right now we're looking at valve adjustement, the GSXR front end installation, all new brake lines, new tires, full carb workup and a few runs on a dyno to get some idea of where we are with it. He's psyched about it and so am I. He's qouting me at $300-500 for the valve adjustment and carb tuning, which is what people here were qouting just to get the carbs setup. The guy knows his stuff, so I feel good about it. We've also discussed changing out the cams, or just degreeing the stock ones.

In his little inspection we discovered that the bike is starving for gas. The 33mm carbs eat fuel faster than the petcock is letting it out! He thinks we need to go up on the jets and figure out the fuel delivery problem (might be caused by low vacuum), possibly going to a gravity feed with a small fuel pump to boost pressure up. We also decided to pretty much toss the stock front end in the garbage and put this GSXR front end on, so if anyone wants a set of Bandit 400 fork seals that are new in their little baggies, let me know and I'll mail them out.

Man, I'm psyched. When a race-motor builder gets excited about working on your bike just because he thinks it's cool, it really gets your blood pumping!

So right now I'm looking for parts. I need to find some headlight mounts for the GSXR forks, I'm looking for cams (maybe) and possibly a GSXR400 igniter box. Anyone have a spare GSXR rear-shock laying about?

Ebay here I come  :bigok:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 01:51:38 PM »
Glad to hear that bro! good luck and post pics
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline rolandogval

• New user!
headlight brackets
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 06:08:18 PM »
for the GSXR front end brackets, go to lockhart phillip's site and do a search for these:
                                    part #:
Fit 27-41mm fork tubes 40012244 $49.95   Y
Fit 50-52mm fork tubes   40012253 $51.95   Y

good luck to ya
in vinum, veritas

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 06:24:13 PM »
Glad to have you back. Check your fuel filter to make sure it's not clogged. 5/16" hose should supply pently of fuel.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »
Awesome, I was just about to ask what people were uising  :thanks:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 07:12:45 PM »
Yes i found out those little plastic fuel filters dont flow enough and get clogged easy! I have a pingle fuel valve and a pingle high flow fuel filter on my race bike and am in the prosess of installing a zx6 fuel pump to my rs mikuni round slides wich are 29mm race carbs
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 08:14:06 PM »
Quote from: "interfuse"
Glad to have you back. Check your fuel filter to make sure it's not clogged. 5/16" hose should supply pently of fuel.

It's not, we actually removed it and tried again. The 5/16th hose is only filling about half way, the petcock itself seems to be the culprit. This is a new one too.  :sad:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
Quote from: "Maniac"
It's not, we actually removed it and tried again. The 5/16th hose is only filling about half way, the petcock itself seems to be the culprit. This is a new one too.  :sad:

Make sure your vent hoses are pinched or clogged.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 05:39:32 PM »
I don't think the petcock is your problem, evey other bandit out there with 33mm carbs uses the sameone. As for installing a fuel pump you can't unless you install new float needles and seats that will work with the pressure of the fuel pump. Think you have problems now wait till you add a pump without the proper mods to the carbs. I can't remember if you said if you where using an inline filter, If so there is your restriction to fuel flow. Get it out of there. The filter in the petcock is more than good enough. If you have a problem with crap in your carbs find a better place to by fuel.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 06:36:34 PM »
Todd - That's awesome, man.  I'm glad you saw the light!   :banana:

The throttle response with those carbs is great isn't it???  Makes a big difference.  I wish I would have had the time, know-how or money in the bike budget to get those things running right.  Good luck and have fun!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 07:24:58 PM »
Quote from: "Thief400"
As for installing a fuel pump you can't unless you install new float needles and seats that will work with the pressure of the fuel pump.

Yeah, thats what we discussed when we were trying to come up with options. Both of us suspect it's more of an issue with low vacuum (hence the petcock not opening fully). The bike had fuel delivery problems before the 33mm carbs were put on, they are just agrivating the hell out of it.  :sad:

With any luck the vacuum will come back up to where it should be once we get the valves adjusted. I won't really know more until the valve cover comes off, sometime in early August. The first thing we suspected was compression, but the bike is showing good on all 4 (with -minimal- variance), so we're hoping it's being caused by mis-adjusted intake valves. If thats the case we should see a performance boost just from those.

Since we're doing the valves, though, Vinnie told me we can drop new cams in easily enough. So soon I'll have some GSXR cams to go with my GSXR carbs!  :bigok:

Quote from: "PitterB4"
The throttle response with those carbs is great isn't it??? Makes a big difference. I wish I would have had the time, know-how or money in the bike budget to get those things running right. Good luck and have fun!

You aren't kidding! The first time I the throttle with them from a dead stop, I thought the front wheel was going to lift. Probally would have if I'd been able to go above 3/4th throttle without the engine cutting out! Much snappier, I couldn't believe the difference. I'm really hoping Vinnie can dig out the old Dynojet runs he had for the bike so we can compare it before/after. I suspect we'll show a big increase throughout the power band.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 02:14:22 PM »
I just got qouted $4800 to repaint/powder coat my bandit...

HOLY CRAP!  :wtf:

Yeah... that seems a wee bit high to me, considering it's a naked bike. I'd hate to see how much a faired bike would cost at this place.

I'll just ride her around all ugly for a while, nothing like having a sleeper!  :banana:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 02:21:53 PM »

Yeah... that seems a wee bit high to me, considering it's a naked bike. I'd hate to see how much a faired bike would cost at this place.

I'll just ride her around all ugly for a while, nothing like having a sleeper!  :banana:

LOL - that's a riot!

If I were in your shoes and wanted a fresh look and couldn't afford a pro paint job, I'd make a "Bandit Dark".  I'd hit the plastics and tank with flat black or charcoal from a rattle can.  It looks pretty cool and modern but the flat paint doesn't show imperfections like gloss does.  Just a thought....
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 03:25:40 PM »

Is that price with you providing them the bare frame and plastics, or are they going to disassemble the bike as well?

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit... NOT sold!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 03:45:01 PM »
Thats me giving them the bare frame and plastics.

I mean, they might do good work, but for that kinda money it better cause people to slip into a euphoric comatose state just looking at it.

2008 GSXR-750