Author Topic: Service manual  (Read 2783 times)

Offline bandit4

• New user!
Service manual
« on: September 06, 2005, 07:04:51 AM »
hi there guys i am new here, so hi to all. i found this forum when searching for a service manual for a bandit 400 which my brother has just bought and i am jealous of as when i got my bike there were none to be found!
anyway i just wondered if there is anything or any commons problems we should check as its been sitting 2 years. Also i tried the link for the service manual and it didn't work. Can anyone privide a link for one as we are going to strip the bike soon to clean it up etc.

thanks guys

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
Service manual
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 11:42:31 AM »
If it has sat for two year2, without running, you guys might want to drain the gas tank and tear down the carbs to give em a cleaning. Also might want to  spray a tad of WD-40 into each cylinder to lube the walls and to penetrate any rust ring that might have developed. IF you guy tear the bike down to the frame, a digital camera might come in handy for putting the bike back together.
As for teh manual:

http://hudmill.com/bandit/GSF400/

Login: GUEST
password: suzuki
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline bandit4

• New user!
Service manual
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 01:36:18 PM »
thanks for the tips, we have stripped the carbs and they were gunged up, cleaned the spark plugs and added fresh fuel, soon as we put the carbs back together we'll give it a buzz see if she goes. the only other job really is the brakes, but im guessing they are quite universal. anything i should watch out for on them that not like normal bikes?

Zhi i tried that link but it come up with this straight away:

401 unauthorized

You must enter a valid username and password to access this page. Please go back and try again.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Service manual
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 02:33:08 PM »
I really would recommend -against- WD-40.

WD-40 will wash any lingering oil off the cylinder walls, then evaporate, leaving you with metal to metal contact. That is not good!

Maybe a little bit of penetrating oil, like that 4in1 oil stuff, or Marvel Mystery Oil (used for air tools). If you -do- put some WD-40 in the cylinder, before you start it put a little regular oil in there as well. Either way, before you try to start it up crank the engine a few times with the ignition cutoff turned off in order to lube things back up.

If you can't find the manual online, Ron Ayers sells them for like $40.  :grin:

Welcome to the board!  :banana:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Service manual
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 03:26:16 PM »
For the manual - try this thread in the Members Only forum.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Service manual
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 07:02:10 PM »
I got the service manual for my '400 here:

http://www.repairmanuals.com/motorcycles/1993/62/4/5954/367

It's $50 plus shipping.

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
Service manual
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 07:53:28 PM »
Quote from: "bandit4"
thanks for the tips, we have stripped the carbs and they were gunged up, cleaned the spark plugs and added fresh fuel, soon as we put the carbs back together we'll give it a buzz see if she goes. the only other job really is the brakes, but im guessing they are quite universal. anything i should watch out for on them that not like normal bikes?

Zhi i tried that link but it come up with this straight away:

401 unauthorized

You must enter a valid username and password to access this page. Please go back and try again.

Hmm, that is weird. When I click the link, it works fine-it doesn't come up with a 401. It may have something to do with your security settings on your browser. The files are definately there.
Maniac is definately right, might want to add a bit of regular oil in the cylinder too. It might also be worth while to rebuild the master cylinder while your at it. It is pretty stragith forward and not expensive. The only reason I am mentioning this is because I recently had my car's master cylinder fail while I was driving, glad I was on local roads and not on the freeway. :shock:
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.