Author Topic: Cant Start It  (Read 3578 times)

Offline anotherdom

• First Post! Be Gentle!
    • http://www.onecupthefilm.com
Cant Start It
« on: June 12, 2006, 06:39:28 AM »
Hello everyone,

Very happy to find this Bandit Alley, and most excited to be the new owner of a 1990 250 red with 61000 on the clock, a couple of dents but plenty of good vibes.

Sad, however, that the bike wouldn't start today. Was working fine last night and then this arvo the engine wouldn't kick over. Eventually, after trying for at least fifteen minutes (with breaks in between attempts to avoid flooding the engine) the battery appeared to die, and left me with an awful click click sound, no bike to ride and a long walk.

Would the reason the bike wouldn't start be the battery in the first place?

Just bought it second hand for 2600 and then paid a mechanic in Melbourne from  a joint called Dyno Bikes a whooping 1300 to put a new chain on and do a service with some welds.

Would appreciate it if you guys could recommend how I may start my bike, or try to, without taking it back in to the rip off merchant (ah hem - mechanic). My wallet is reeling from a serious couple of pay outs allready on the baby.  

Thanks
 :duh:  :beers:
Hoopla Hodingi

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
Cant Start It
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 08:48:58 AM »
Did you try bumpstarting it? Could be the battery - try giving it an overnight trickle charge

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Cant Start It
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 09:34:04 AM »
I was gonna say, too, can you start it using a good run and hop on?  Got a bit of a hill near you to head down?  If you can start it that way, seems to me it's a battery issue.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Cant Start It
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »
Once you've got a good charge back onboard, check for spark. I know the 400's are prone to ignitoin box problems and since the 250 is pretty much a smaller version of the 400, it wouldn't surprise me if they're prone to the same problems.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline saint_furious

• Board Regular!
Cant Start It
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 04:24:32 AM »
Quote from: Red01
Once you've got a good charge back onboard, check for spark. I know the 400's are prone to ignitoin box problems and since the 250 is pretty much a smaller version of the 400, it wouldn't surprise me if they're prone to the same problems.

check your rectifier also...it could be fried.  one way to tell would be to look at your headlights as you rev your engine.  the light should glow noticeably brighter as the revs increase.  otherwise, your rectifier should be repaired or replaced.

CLUB BANDIT PHILIPPINES

Offline Greg

• TURBO TYPER!
Cant Start It
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 08:56:30 PM »
1. Check you have petrol
2. Check your battery
3. Check your plugs

Mine sometimes has a habbit of only wanting to start upright (not on side stand) with the clutch in (but this is rare).

Good luck - I do think you may have payed a little too much for your "service",  I could get chain, sprockets, tyres, major service and possibly brake rotors for that price.

Offline bulicz

• New user!
Re: Cant Start It
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 03:02:23 AM »
Quote from: anotherdom
Hello everyone,

Very happy to find this Bandit Alley, and most excited to be the new owner of a 1990 250 red with 61000 on the clock, a couple of dents but plenty of good vibes.

Sad, however, that the bike wouldn't start today. Was working fine last night and then this arvo the engine wouldn't kick over. Eventually, after trying for at least fifteen minutes (with breaks in between attempts to avoid flooding the engine) the battery appeared to die, and left me with an awful click click sound, no bike to ride and a long walk.

Would the reason the bike wouldn't start be the battery in the first place?

Just bought it second hand for 2600 and then paid a mechanic in Melbourne from  a joint called Dyno Bikes a whooping 1300 to put a new chain on and do a service with some welds.

Would appreciate it if you guys could recommend how I may start my bike, or try to, without taking it back in to the rip off merchant (ah hem - mechanic). My wallet is reeling from a serious couple of pay outs allready on the baby.  

Thanks
 :duh:  :beers:

Dude!

hope your baby is already OK and crying OUT loud.
im planning to buy bandit 250 as well. im also from melbourne do you still know some place to buy a B250? 26 hundred is a best buy.

Cheers!

Bulicz

Offline Ausian

• New user!
Cant Start It
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 08:57:01 AM »
Damn!

That blows...I recently got a B250 and had a starting problem as well. I put the PRI on for about 10 minutes on a cold morning and then start her with full choke.
My sympathies to your wallet though!
I am so smart, I am so smart
S-M-R-T
DOH!