Author Topic: Clutch Slip  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slip
« on: January 07, 2007, 05:13:40 AM »
I'm noticing lately that my B4 clutch appears to momentarily slip when I'm accelerating hard, typically from a standstill. Once I'm moving, or if I accelerate slowly, it's fine.

Is this indicative of a clutch that needs replacement, or one that just needs an adjustment? Thanks for any info on this.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slip
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 08:11:44 AM »
I would recommend to adjust first and see what that does.

I generally set mine up to the book and when the travel specs in the lever are reached: time for new clutch.

-Randy

Offline land-warrior.rus

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://landwarrior.dynserv.net
Clutch Slip
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »
as Randy said try adjusting it first. Make sure you have some play at the lever, to make sure the clutch is been engaged fully. When was the oil changed? Is it time to service it? Is the clutch cable moving freely?
If everything checked ok...service it...
Cheers
We work to live not live to work!!!

Offline land-warrior.rus

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slip
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »
P.S. I' not sure but i think full sintetic oil might make the clutch slip too...some one else might advice you on that...
Cheers

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Clutch Slip
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 12:04:52 AM »
Quote from: "land-warrior.rus"
P.S. I' not sure but i think full sintetic oil might make the clutch slip too...some one else might advice you on that...
Cheers

Full Synthetic oil is fine in a wet clutch. Adjust it as per the instructions in the manual. I still have my original clutch with 37000Km on it and 100's of drag racing stops. Suzuki's generally have very tough clutches

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slip
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 12:18:24 AM »
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't have to resources or knowledge to do this myself, so I have to rely on a shop, which  may or may not level with me on these things. They can always say something like, "well, you need a new clutch", when in fact you don't. It's a business. Unfortunately the only gearhead I now who could help me with this is in Texas right now for a while.

Personally I think it's probably just an adjustment, even though the bile has 26000 mies on it. The bike uses standard "mineral" oil, and it's probably got ~3k on it.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Clutch Slip
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:28:12 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't have to resources or knowledge to do this myself, so I have to rely on a shop, which  may or may not level with me on these things. They can always say something like, "well, you need a new clutch", when in fact you don't. It's a business. Unfortunately the only gearhead I now who could help me with this is in Texas right now for a while.

Personally I think it's probably just an adjustment, even though the bile has 26000 mies on it. The bike uses standard "mineral" oil, and it's probably got ~3k on it.

Actually, A clutch adjustment is really easy, and if I recall, requires no special tools.  The procedure is in the service manual.  I bet you could do it in about 10 mins. :)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline land-warrior.rus

• Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slip
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 05:54:31 PM »
If you need pages from the manual on how to adjust the clutch i can email them to you and its very very easy.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Clutch Slip
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »
Quote from: "land-warrior.rus"
If you need pages from the manual on how to adjust the clutch i can email them to you and its very very easy.

Or go here and download it: Click Me
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Clutch Slip
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 12:39:40 AM »
Thanks. I actually ordered the service manual when I first got the bike, thinking I was going to be doing more work myself. :roll:  Not ever having worked on bikes before (I did do some 60s-70s GM & Chrysler front ends and some basic V8 and slant 6 stuff) and not really have a locale to work in (the bike is out on the street), I'm hesitant about such things. Hopefully I can find a local gearhead who has a garage and can walk me through it.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Clutch Slip
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 01:04:56 AM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
Thanks. I actually ordered the service manual when I first got the bike, thinking I was going to be doing more work myself. :roll:  Not ever having worked on bikes before (I did do some 60s-70s GM & Chrysler front ends and some basic V8 and slant 6 stuff) and not really have a locale to work in (the bike is out on the street), I'm hesitant about such things. Hopefully I can find a local gearhead who has a garage and can walk me through it.

What if I said you could do the clutch adjust on the street, or the sidewalk in pretty short order?  It's that easy a job.  Hell, even a girl can do it. :monkeymoon:     I used to do nearly all of my work on the firebird in the street.  The neighbors got a real kick out of me.  

Even now, most of the work gets done on the bikes on the pad behind the house, since we only have a couple of unheated sheds to work in otherwise.   I dream of the day we can afford to put a heated triple in here, but I think it's a few years coming yet.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Clutch Slip
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 10:48:10 AM »
The nice thing about bikes is if you live on the ground floor (or even some apartments with elevators), you can bring the bike in the house to work on it. I used to bring my RD350 in the house every winter to work on it - and keep it warm & dry during the off-season.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)