Author Topic: twin disc brakes question  (Read 2057 times)

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
twin disc brakes question
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:55:04 PM »
anyone with a b4 with twin disc front brakes, how far do the pistons and pads move away from the discs when the brakes are realeased?

On my bike, they move away such a small amount that the high point (from 0.135mm runout) on the discs brushes the pads as you rotate the wheel.

I'm worried this part of the disc will wear thinner than the rest and result in pulsing brakes. I recently replaced the discs and pads, the old RH disc had worn unevenly and was pulsing.

I'm thinking about trying new seals in the calipers to see if they will retract the pistons further than the old (i guess original) seals.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: twin disc brakes question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 10:48:59 PM »
Quote from: erik

I'm thinking about trying new seals in the calipers to see if they will retract the pistons further than the old (i guess original) seals.

Sounds like a great idea polish up the pistons too!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 02:10:36 AM »
Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the caliper seal kits from suzuki?

I phoned a shop here, they said it'd be NZ$97 (US$61) per caliper and that it'd have to come from Japan.
I've been told that I can get just the main piston seals locally for way cheaper, but that I can probably only get the dust seals if I get the kit.
I'm not totally sure if the dust seals need replacing or not. If I can't find a cheaper kit, I'll try just replacing the main seals but if there is a cheaper place to get a seal kit that might be a better option.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 08:31:56 AM »
Hi Erik,
          Are the seal kits expensive because you have a grey import ? In uk 90% of b4's are grey so we get inflated prices even though Suzuki imported a single disc version , if so match your calipers up to other Suzuki models (rgv250?) see if you can get a better deal . One thing Suzuki do is use the same parts on lots of models .

Chris H