Author Topic: bandit won't start...suggestions?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline bubbazenetty

• New user!
bandit won't start...suggestions?
« on: July 19, 2005, 09:01:30 PM »
Hello,  

I bought this bike almost a year ago, and when I bought it it started (took a while 3-5 try's at least), and ran pretty good apart from a pretty big dip in the curve at about 6k rpms.  I was told it needed a carb sync and that should have taken care of it, as well as a good carb cleaning. Sync'ed the carbs but it still was missing some power,  so I took the carbs apart, dipped them and reassembled.  Then I can't start the bike.  So I let the bike sit for a few months while I was doing other things.:sad:

Now I try again this week. I've been working on it.

Symptoms.  I'm getting intermittent spark, and when I lay on the starter it fires like on one or two cylinders avery 6-10 seconds, but it won't start up and run. I've ruled out the pickup coil/ignitors/wires/plugs.

Work done: I've already tryed spraying starter fluid into the bike...NO GO, so I'm ruling out the carbs and I believe I have a ignition problem.

I've read the problems with the CDI and I've already opened my CDI up and I'll be replacing the capacitors and transducers tomorrow at a local electronics store.

Bike has 16k miles on it, and is using 102.5 main jets (former owner said a carb kit had been installed).  A/F mixture screws are 2 turns out.

If anyone can add any input on what could be wrong apart from what I have looked at.

:thanks:

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 01:23:34 AM »
you didn't list battery in your items as good.
also are the connectors/leads on the coils clean and tight?
have you checked the wiring harness for a short somewhere?

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »
It sounds like it flooded when you went back together with the carbs.  I didn't see where you had replaced the plugs.  Suzuki's are incredibly easy to flood for some reason, so I would try that.  If you have the plugs out, it may be worth leaving them out for a while to allow any raw fuel to evaporate.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline cdyer77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 03:33:17 PM »
Best cure for this....and most other things that piss you off and cant be fixed easily.....! gallon of gas and a zippo lighter. Poof!, instantly fixed.
1990 Bandit 400 - Now Parting Out - What do you need???
1999 Honda VTR 1000 - SOLD
2001 GSXR 600 - Track Bike
Reduc #177
Team Pro Motion #177

Offline bubbazenetty

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 02:03:04 PM »
I got the CDI repaired, and now I can see the tach move as I try to start it.  I've got a new set of plugs in it along with a new battery.  It will just bump over the first time I try to start it...but then on the second start it won't do anything.  I know I'm getting a good spark and I currently don't have the airbox on...so I know I'm getting air in...then my next problem is going to be the fuel.  I know the fuel bowls are full, and somehow it might be fouling...although I've only got the idle screws out 2 turns from fully in.....???????????????I'm stumped. :stop:

Offline bubbazenetty

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 10:45:39 PM »
Success :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana: .   Damn this is a fun bike to ride. :thanks:  :beers:  :banana:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 11:15:06 PM »
:congrats:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline southernyankee

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 06:45:02 PM »
You know how to fix your cdi. Cause it would be great if you could tell me how or I'd pay you to fix it for me if you could.

Let me know it would help a whole bunch.

Thanks,
Jon
B4
F1 Cobra Exhaust
Custom Bars
Jetted
Hi-Flow Thermostat
K&N Intake

Offline bubbazenetty

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 11:05:47 PM »
Here is the link I used: http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=431&highlight=cdi

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=453&start=45&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cdi

I just cut the box open and went to a local electrical shop, and bought the transisters and capaciters ($20), then had a guy working there remove the old stuff and install the new stuff ($40). - Make sure they orientate the capaciters Correctly.

Cap-se 1050 10UF/50V heat reated - 150Dc  (You'll need 2 of these)
Cap-se 47-35 47UF/35V heat reated - 85Dc  (You'll need 2 of these)

Transisters :http://www.donberg.ie/descript/2/2sd798.htm (you'll need 2 of these)

I used part#  BU806( identical to the 2SD798)

Also replace the capacitor next to the big chip. Part#10uF25v (85deg c) - (1pc near the kokusan).

Good luck. :beers: