Author Topic: bars/clipons -- I need some insight  (Read 7871 times)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
bars/clipons -- I need some insight
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »
Howdy folks, long time...

I'm looking for some insight to my handlebar dilema. My '93 B4 has a flat handle bar (not my doing!!). This is a real problem because, though I like the look, it has real clearance issues with the top triple clamp. Basically, it forces the levers to be turned up a bit so that the brake line and clutch cable will clear the triple clamp. It also forces the mirrors back a bit resulting in stellar views of my elbows. I'm looking for input on the possible solutions below:

1. Return to a stock bar. This will obviously work , but I kinda like the look with the lower bars and being 6'1", the bit of extra stretch is nice.

2. Go for a clubman bar. Do they even make one that will clear the triple clamp? I'm a fan of clubman's having put them on my old gs450... I like the stretched out position. But again, i think there may be clearance problems with the brake line/clutch cable and the instrument cluster.

3. Go for clipons above the triple clamp. This would give a reasonable riding position, but would force the triple tree down on the fork tube to provide clamping room... Thus changing the geometry and moving the cg a bit too. Maybe its not enough to matter?

4. Go for clipons *below* the triple clamp. Now we're into radical riding positions and modifying the headlight bracket for clearance. not a pretty solution, but would sure look cool when done ;-)

For both clipon solutions, I'd have to grind the stanchion off the triple clamp and I'm not sure how I feel about that... there's only so many of them left you know.

Insight appreciated.

A

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:22:57 PM »
First, can you find/buy wider flat bars?  That might get the controls out far enough to clear the trip.  Just a thought.  Another option is superbike bars (dirtbike bars).  That's kinda popular in the streetfighter world.  I think they look cool.  

Of all the options I tried (stock, flat, Suburban Machinery SV Type 1 bars and clipons below the triple), putting the clipons below the trip was my favorite.  The only reason I tried the others was that I hated the look of the empty towers on top of the triple and was too lazy to take it off and grind down the towers.  

BTW, the SM bars have the same clearance problem with the trip.  Not unusable but you have to twist the controls up a little.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 01:44:31 AM »
I have clubmans on the 919.  I suspect that it would be similar on the b4.  The cables are still stock, I had no trouble with reach.  

The zip ties on the left fork are holding the heated grip on, as this was a temp install at the time, and yes, that's Dita to the right.  :grin:

And both are dirt pigs.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:19:15 PM »
That's mean to tease us with just a picture of her rear-end like that!

So, those clubmans look flat, like there's no drop from the stanchion to the bar at all, is that correct? That might work nice, or as PitterB4 suggested, a wider flat bar might be in order.

I agree too, the clipons below the triple clamp are way cool, but I don't know. Maybe if I find a spare triple clamp, I'd be willing. I don't like the idea of not being able to put it back together the right way.  I'd just have to fab up a new headlight bracket.

Oh well, more thinking I guess. Trouble is no one stocks bars around here... too many options, I guess. I'll have to order a bunch and see what I like.

A

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:15:59 PM »
She's a little shy,.. but there are pics of her all over the forum.  I usually sneak up on her. :wink:

They are almost flat.  They're actually a little tapered to the ground.  I'll see if I can get a better pic out in the shed a little later tonight.

These clubmans are made by Tommaselli, and can be ordered from... uh... crap,.. the distributor escapes me, but if I remember I'll post the name.  

I lucked into these, a guy at the shop we frequent had a set in his garage, and sold them to me.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline meehacker

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 08:56:17 AM »
Hi there - are those clubman bars installed upside down?

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 01:15:58 PM »
Nope  :wink:

When you sit on the bike, the bars tilt down, like clip-ons.  I'll get you a better pic once the digital camera has fresh batteries.

The other half likes them for drag racing old beat up chevy Novas that think they're fast.  :lol:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »
As promised, my dirty boy and his clubmans:

Bath coming up today after I finish the touch-ups on his paint.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 03:58:58 PM »
Those are nice Stormi. I know they are Tomasseli's but where did you get them?

A

zaptoman

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 05:34:36 PM »
I'd say go with clipons above the triple clamp. That's what I did. I actually purchased a set of bandit clip-ons and the flat triple that went with them from a guy in the UK. They Work great and gave alot more front end feel. Cleaned up the cockpit too, IMO. Btw, I've tried regular clubmans - they won't clear the triple.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 09:31:24 PM »
Quote from: "andrewsw"

A

We think that they were in the motovan catalog, the 2006 one.  We didn't look in the 2007, but your local dealer should be able to bring them in.   They should be around $60 (cdn) I lucked out, in that one of the racers at the dealer I deal at had a set in his garage that he let me try, then buy off him for $20.

A LOT cheaper than a triple clamp, and lets you get down there to see if that's really what you want.  

They also have some adjustable ones that you can get for about $120cdn.  That would help you clear the triples if need be. Though I'm a little confused about that statement,... how are the bars which are a good 2-3" above the triples interfering? usually, the biggest concern is clearing the tank, which is significantly wider on the 919 than on the bandit, and the triples are also about ½" wider on the 919... perhaps you had a very different set of clubmans?

And yes, believe it or not, that bike did get washed last night, rode in a storm today.  (In fact, a tornado touched down about 20-30mi west of where I was.)

stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 11:47:23 PM »
zaptoman -
I have all of those same parts but was reluctant to install them as the forks would have to be raised so much. It looks like you only brought yours up about 1/2 inch. Is that enough to make the bars steady, but not too much as to where the front end is overly twitchy?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 11:57:25 PM »
Quote from: "andrewsw"

A

Omar's has Clubmans, Drag Bars (he calls 'em Senior Clubmans :wink: ) and Adjustable Clubmans.
Hidden from normal browsing thru his site, but found by a search engine is Omar's Adjustable Tommaselli Clubmans - This page shows what the real Tommaselli Condor bars look like. Omar's new and improved bar is in the menu at the first link.

You might also find something similar if you search for Jota bars - as the old Laverda Jotas came with adjustable clubmans and these bars are sometimes known by that name.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »
All: thanks for the ideas.

Stormi: the bars don't interfere... its the stuff on the bars that interferes. These bars are fairly narrow, and being essntially straight (they angle back just a hair), that puts the brake reservoir and line jammed up right against the triples and top of the fork leg. SO much so that I can't properly rotate the brake lever assembly forward as it should be (for my grip anyway).

Red01 thanks for the pointers.

A

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 01:47:29 AM »
Try the Tommaselli's.  They've got a great wingspan.  As you can see in the pic, the bars (where the controls are) don't even start til after they've cleared the triples, and they angle up briefly, then the bar proper angles down for the pseudo clip-on feel.  The 919 has no smaller controls, or any less of them, and the triples are even wider than the B4 ( I checked since they were both home at the same time for a change. :))   In the motovan catalog, they were the cheapest ones that Tommaselli listed.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390