Author Topic: battery not recharging  (Read 2788 times)

Offline crusher

• New user!
battery not recharging
« on: December 23, 2005, 11:10:14 AM »
hi, i have a 1992 bandit 400 and have trouble starting it every time. the battery keeps dying, brought it to a mechanic and he said alternator was ok. replaced the regulator on his advice but problem still persisiting. also noticed power is somewhat limited, any advice on these 2 matters would be appreciated

crusher

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
battery not recharging
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 01:15:04 PM »
How old is the battery?
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
battery not recharging
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 03:36:48 PM »
First thing I would check is the fluid level in the battery. Even the sealed units slowly go dry. I have to top mine up at least once/year. Just get some distilled water, pry the caps off the battery and top them up. Make sure you leave a few millimeters of air space. Then charge the battery.

If this doesn't work, get your local battery shop to load test the battery. Then your 2nd option is to buy a new battery.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
battery not recharging
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 06:50:54 PM »
Yeah mine went out about 2 weeks ago.  It wasn't real obvious because it still acted like it was going to start but it never would.  I tried charging it with a charger and nothing.  Finally I just bought a new one and it is working fine now.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
battery not recharging
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 10:27:22 AM »
Quote from: "ant_129"
Yeah mine went out about 2 weeks ago.  It wasn't real obvious because it still acted like it was going to start but it never would.  I tried charging it with a charger and nothing.  Finally I just bought a new one and it is working fine now.

Ditto here.

It was wierd, one day the battery was fine and holding a charge, the next it would die within five minutes of being removed from the charger. A new battery did wonders.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: battery not recharging
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 09:02:24 PM »
Quote from: "crusher"
hi, i have a 1992 bandit 400 and have trouble starting it every time. the battery keeps dying, brought it to a mechanic and he said alternator was ok. replaced the regulator on his advice but problem still persisiting. also noticed power is somewhat limited, any advice on these 2 matters would be appreciated

crusher

How long does it take to kill the bat?  Is it a bat problem or a fuel/ignition problem that is leading you to crank forever killing the bat?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7